PDA

View Full Version : Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution??

maxiesmom
03-26-2010, 10:54 PM
Did anyone else watch this, or if you're on the west coast planning to? I was looking forward to this from the previews and I will definitely watch it again. I was mortified by what the profiled school considers acceptable meals. And he went into a first grade class, I think, and the children had no idea what almost any of the vegetables were. He'd hold something up, they couldn't even name a tomato! :elvis:

I have 5 nieces and nephews and think the diets children have today are simply horrible. My oldest niece used to mostly eat only buttered noodles and bacon! Sad to say at 21 she is not much more adventurous today. :sad:
If you watched, I am curious what you thought.

cindi
03-26-2010, 11:07 PM
I didn't see it, but I must say, I think most kids just don't eat as well as they should. crap, when I was a kid there was no such thing as chicken nuggets..I swear today kids only know chicken as nuggets! let alone whta veggies look like.
I'm so glad my family has always liked real food. what will be the health issues with these kids..diebetes for sure, but I wonder whta else?

:worried:

maxiesmom
03-26-2010, 11:24 PM
I what will be the health issues with these kids..diebetes for sure, but I wonder whta else?:worried:

Absolutely, high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke. He addressed that with a family he took on to help as well. This poor boy was only 12 years old and his sister was only 4? Oh my heck, I was floored.

stampinmom3
03-27-2010, 07:34 AM
I watched it. I thought it was a good show. I think he only has the best interest of the children. Too bad some of the cooks were more worried about time etc. *side note..I can understand they are just trying to do their job though*

HeatherJ
03-27-2010, 08:21 AM
I misssed most of it but caught a bit. I see it everyday (I teach grade one!) Our students eat at their desks as we don't have a cafeteria. The lunchboxes are not always containing good things. We talk a lot about good choices and "sometimes" foods but have to walk a fine line with parent choices. I can't come out and say they can't pack a chocolate hostess cake but I have gotten the students to eat the other somewhat healthier choices first, then the cake last if they have room. My biggest thrill is when I hear a student yell that "Hey, mom packed me the 100% juice this time, not the 'drink' word." THat was a lesson I did in the fall. :)

The sodium levels of todays foods are a big concern. I am really worried their little kidneys will suffer in the long run. It is a huge problem. I am looking forward to seeing the show again!

maxiesmom
03-27-2010, 10:28 AM
The sodium levels of todays foods are a big concern. I am really worried their little kidneys will suffer in the long run. It is a huge problem. I am looking forward to seeing the show again!

Thanks Heather, I was really hoping to hear from someone who knows a bit about this. I almost thought that dump truck at the end was going to be full of salt. How could I forget about all the fat!

Kreative Dryve
03-27-2010, 11:54 AM
I watched it last night, yuck! I am still floored about the chicken nuggets mixture...and they thought it was okay to eat, even though they found it gross.
I am a start from scratch cook about 5 days out of the week, and do have to admit to some processed foods.
I am glad my kiddos love fruits and vegetables.
We had our own food revolution a couple years ago in our schools, and the kids are offered salad and vegies before the other stuff, we have a walking program, and even at our college cafeteria, they buy from local farmers to keep the community "growing".

kimmyqtgirl
03-27-2010, 05:24 PM
I watched and it made me sad to see that many kids not know what a potato looked like or other vegetables. And to choose that disgusting patty over a chicken breast. Guess I was lucky my mom cooked real food and I helped alot.

dancing queen
04-02-2010, 12:02 AM
and it's not just kids... I'm appalled when I think about all the fast and prepared foods that a lot of my friends eat - you'd think they'd know better. I love what Jamie Oliver is doing and will continue to watch and support this show (did y'all know it's being produced by Ryan Seacrest?)

emmcee
04-02-2010, 08:24 AM
The department I work in for the local school system is Child Nutrition, and I am going to watch Jamie Oliver tonight. I missed it last week and someone was telling me about it. But anyway, I know our kids in our school system are offered fresh fruit, salads, and vegetables every day. Oh yeah, there is always chicken nuggets & chicken fillets (favorites of the kids) but not fried, these are all baked. Most of our veggies we serve are the frozen ones, which in my opinion, are much better for the kids as the corn or beans or whatever doesn't sit in the salted water & preservatives for ever how long a time.

But now, too, if we gave our kids a quiz on what kind of fruit or vegetable they have, I don't know what the answers would be.

maxiesmom
04-03-2010, 01:40 PM
So glad this weeks episode did not focus entirely on the elementary school. I could not have taken another episode of Alice the nasty lunch lady! Can't believe what these districts consider acceptable menus! When he made his noodle dish that was loaded with veggies, that wasn't enough for a "required" serving. But yet the fast food style lunch with fries was considered ok because it had a totally optional salad that no one was taking! Sheesh! These school systems need to wake up.