PDA

View Full Version : H20 mop - product review?

inkinupstamps
04-12-2010, 09:31 AM
This is completely off cardmaking/stamping topic, but I bought the H20 steam mop over the weekend. Does anyone else have one and can give me your opinion of it? My husband was not happy with me at all that I bought it...thinking that it would be just another gimmic.

With huge drooly dogs, home repairs and construction constantly going on, dirt from the yard being tracked in CONSTANTLY, it is very hard for me to keep my floors clean like I like them to be. I am hoping that this will give me an environmentally friendly (it uses steam - H20 !!) and no chemicals.

I just gave it its first test on the kitchen floor. Seems to really get the grout cleaned very well besides the tiles. In the past with detergents and mops I always thought the grout became a catchall for the dirt. So this made me happy to see.

You can use the mop on a variety of surface besides ceramic tile to include carpet. With our new puppy arriving at the end of this week I'm thinking this should be an invaluable tool for me!!

Anyway, I've only just started using it and want to sway my hubby to my side for its use. I know only time will do that but I'm hoping to hear from anyone who has one. Whatcha like about it? DOn't like? Suggestions?

iloveflipflops
04-12-2010, 10:42 AM
I have never heard of it but anxious to see what others say about it. I may "need" one too :).

tojoco
04-12-2010, 11:16 AM
I've never heard of it either.

workin4stamps
04-12-2010, 11:34 AM
I have been researching similar tools, but I can't remember the name of any of them. (Bissel steam mop, The Shark, etc).

Once I go part time and actually have to start mopping my own floors, I might actually "need" one of these. haha!!! Right now my cleaning lady just uses a regular mop. For my own in-between touch ups I just use a towel and get down on my hands and knees. My mud room is the only room that really gets tracked by the dogs that is a solid surface.

Very curious to see if anyone has this or other similar products!!!!!

Please keep us posted Jennifer on how you like yours!!

suzi_f
04-12-2010, 11:39 AM
I've heard of a steam mop & have been dying to buy it but, as your hubby said, mine's afraid it's just another expensive mop that I will never use ('cause none of them work!!). I don't have tile & I want to use it on the sheet vinyl in my kitchen. Keep us informed....

limeyscrapper
04-12-2010, 11:40 AM
I'm interested in one of these producrts too, so would like to read a review Jennifer.
We have vinyl sheet flooring ( I thought it was linoleum but the installers corrected me!) It's in my bathroom and also the kitchen and hallway. Up until now, I have always got down on my hands and knees to clean it - but I'm getting tired of doing that. Luckily, with just the two of us ( and one cat) it doesn't seem to get all that dirty.

Nancy
04-12-2010, 12:28 PM
I know people who have them but they dont own dogs -cats or any kind of animal. They say they like them because it gets everything clean. So of course this was no help, but I can see using it to keep the floors clean and have to look at dog prints on the floor. My kitchen floor is dark and shows everything. I have been looking at them, because getting down on my knees is out of the question and now I just use a mop and wash it and then go over it with clear water. I like a really shiny floor and am curious if the steam might keep taking off the wax or shiny finish. Looking for answers also. Perhaps a cleaning woman with it!!!- Nancy

inkinupstamps
04-12-2010, 01:01 PM
OK ladies! I've been "steaming" around my house all morning and here are my results.

First I should say that when I began looking at the steam mops I looked at the SHARK and that is what impressed me, but I just didn't know how my husband would feel so I didn't buy it. I have a friend with 5 Newfoundland dogs (Yes! I said 5) and she lives in a huge and very very lovely home and she loves her SHARK!

Now, as for the H20 mop that I purchased. I got it at Walmart and considering how much you'd spend on cleaning products and such I don't think it is high priced.

This isn't JUST for people with pets. I just happen to have dogs and cats and a very messy husband.........

As for floor surfaces, it can be used on ceramic tile, lanolium, vinyl flooring, SEALED hardwood and laminets floors AND carpeting! Nancy brings up a good point about the wax. Yes, it uses steam to clean and disinfect (nothing kills germs and bacteria like good old hot steam!!) Consequently, prolonged use on floors that you wax will most likely remove the wax.

My kitchen and bathroom are ceramic tile. It was super!! The floor grout really got clean too. My dining room is a vinyl flooring and I didn't prolong holding the mop in one place but I will say the floor looks lovely and clean.

I have hardwood floors throughout the house and area rugs and runners. After thoroughly vacuming the rugs I steamed them. They look GREAT!

The machine does not leave puddles on the floor and what water you do see dries very quickly. Even the carpets don't even feel very damp even.

What I really like is that you aren't pushing around dirty mop water/detergent. Your floors aren't streaky.

The head of the mop (mine is triangle shaped) swivels so it really does get into corners...behind the toilet, around and under cabinet overhangs.

Now don't be fooled into thinking this will replace a vacume sweeper and/or broom. Just as I would not mop the floor with mounds of dog hair on them and would of course sweep up the hair first and then mop, the same holds true for this. I just broomed the kitchen first and then plugged my H20 mop in and it really cleaned the floor very well. No buckets, chemicals, mops. SO EASY.

I hope this helps. I just hate lugging mop buckets and mops around the house and as well, I always feel like mops just push the dirty water around. So that is what I really like about this.

teabear
04-12-2010, 01:27 PM
I have a messy teen, messy hubby and 2 messy dogs, so this sounds wonderful. Most of my hard surface floors are wood, so I'm not sure about that. I do mop them. Did you have to change water often, Jennifer. I'm imagining dirty water like a carpet cleaner needing to be changed as you work.

suzi_f
04-12-2010, 01:56 PM
I'm sold!!! I have a white vinyl floor w/a design IN the vinyl. I can NEVER get it clean (and it really needs to be replaced!! 15+ years!) w/o getting on my hands & knees which isn't getting any easier for me (and my advanced age. Ok advanced WEIGHT!) I've bought 3 different mops in the last 12-18 mos & NOTHING works. I'll keep an eye out for this one.

workin4stamps
04-12-2010, 02:37 PM
So are you saying that the one you got is the Shark???

Would you be so kind as to give me a model number, or a link or something??

LOL

inkinupstamps
04-12-2010, 03:15 PM
No, I got the H20 mop. Or were you asking Suzi? The brand is called "H20 Mop" MODEL OEM-TV-001

A friend of mine has the SHARK and she loves it too. I just didn't go back to Canadian Tire to get it or I would have. I was in Walmart and saw the H20 mop and decided they were probably very similar...which they are.

I was reading online review of these steam mops and was slightly amused and yet found it interesting that people who have problems with weeds in their yard take the steam mop outside and steam the weeds. Of course steam kills weeds (again pesticide free so environmentally friendly.) I highly doubt that I'll use mine on weeds but it is a thought.

Tami, the mop only holds 1 1/2 to 2 cups of water. It heats this water to steam. It doesn't suck up the steam emitted. There is a microfiber pad (which is also machine washable so very reusable!) that catches the dirt. So in answer to your question, you aren't emptying the machine like the "steam" carpet cleaners. They work with chemicals and hot water but this is actual hot steam. Hense, no containers to empty. Now I did have to refill the reservoir with a cup or two of water after a while but it isn't like the old steam carpet cleaners where you were lugging and emptying heavy bucketloads of DIRTY water.

teabear
04-12-2010, 03:42 PM
Thanks Jennifer. It sounds like a wonderful little machine and I love the no chemicals part of it.

limeyscrapper
04-12-2010, 05:48 PM
I was reading online review of these steam mops and was slightly amused and yet found it interesting that people who have problems with weeds in their yard take the steam mop outside and steam the weeds. Of course steam kills weeds (again pesticide free so environmentally friendly.) I highly doubt that I'll use mine on weeds but it is a thought.

Yes - of course it would work on the weeds too!
We have one of those propane weed torches that dh uses to keep our patio clear of weeds. It takes care of the little ones that try to creep up in between the interlocking patio stones. It's quite relaxing after a days gardening to walk around the patio and "zap" the tiny weeds, and so much easier than getting down on your hands and knees to do it.

inkinupstamps
04-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Yes - of course it would work on the weeds too!
We have one of those propane weed torches that dh uses to keep our patio clear of weeds. It takes care of the little ones that try to creep up in between the interlocking patio stones. It's quite relaxing after a days gardening to walk around the patio and "zap" the tiny weeds, and so much easier than getting down on your hands and knees to do it.

Chris, I don't know if big burrs are a problem where you live but they are just awful here and with my long haired thickly coated dogs, getting burrs out is such a chore. I know that there are burrs growing under our deck and I used to dump boiling water through the slats in deck to kill them. Perhaps I should send Paul UNDER the deck and steam those burry monsters to death! :)

maxiesmom
04-12-2010, 09:08 PM
I bought the (well David bought it) the basic Shark today the store had an extra 15% off. They do have the new triangular/flip one, I just wanted the basic(cheaper) one. I tried my moms a month or so ago. I have a old Hoover floor scrubber with rotating brushes that puts down and sucks up but it can be a pain to use and leaves streaks on the floor so then you have to go over it with a mop after sucking up. Pain in the neck! So with the Shark I won't have to do that. I will keep my old one if we have a big awful mess, otherwise I can now keep more on top of it.

We'll be loving our floor machines together, Jennifer.

inkinupstamps
04-12-2010, 10:07 PM
We'll be loving our floor machines together, Jennifer.

I'll be eager to hear more about your SHARK, Kathy! I think the H20 and the Shark are very, very similar with the exception of the head shape. I like mine a lot so far. How about you?

maxiesmom
04-13-2010, 07:57 AM
I liked my mom's when I used it. We're having rain here so I will need to give my floor one last clean with the old machine to deal with the muddy paw prints. I will then attempt to maintain it with the Shark. We have light color linoleum :arghh:- Not for our next floor!

Christie
04-13-2010, 08:06 AM
I've never heard of it before.

suzi_f
04-13-2010, 08:27 AM
Y'all are making me want to run out & get one of these now!!!

hutchink
04-13-2010, 10:00 AM
I know me too Suzi!

suzi_f
04-13-2010, 12:40 PM
But, if I get a new mop, I'll have to USE it!