PDA

View Full Version : i just don't get copics!

GotCats?
04-14-2010, 06:39 AM
Ok, so I keep hearing about these markers that you can blend etc. And I have seen some people's work and it looks really nice! So i was at the Allentown expo this weekend and asked the gary Burlin folks to show me.

She stamped a design then said to start with the light colors. She put that on the outside of the sections she was filling. Then a darker color inside that. THEN she said "then you go over the whole thing again with the light color" and did that. Looked like crap.

Really? That's how it works? I imagined a little color on the edges, then use a blender to blend it in to the middle making it look lighter. but she said the blender is really a color ERASER. Hmmm.

She told me some places to go online for detailed instructions on how to color, but geez, I just don't have time to do that. I was hoping it would be a quick demo and I'd get it and be able to scoop some up right away. but now thinking I might stay with my watercolor pencils and dove blender....

Did I just see a bad demo?????

ccstampin12
04-14-2010, 07:38 AM
I would definitely give them another chance.
Once you get the hang of them, they are the best!
I wonder if you try this if it would give you better results.
Stamp some open image that's simple just to practice with.
Pick 2 shades of one color....like pinks or greens.
Color the entire inside of the image with the lighter color.
Then outline with the darker shade.
Then, using the lighter color, in a circular motion blend the darker shade toward the center.
See how that looks...you can always put more dark and blend again.
That's one wonderful thing about Copics, they don't dig up the paper like some brush markers do.
Let me know how this works for you. Start small.
Then use your talents to expand this technique.
HUGS
Joanie

inkinupstamps
04-14-2010, 08:10 AM
I fought the need to buy them way back when but eventually succombed to the purchase of my copics and it has been "happily everafter" for me with them ever since. Joanie gives good advice. Especially the advice to "start small." Just play with them. Everything takes practice.

With regard to the blender pen, I rarely use it. OK...occasionally, but definitely not often. It is correct that it is basically a color eraser. It does soften edges of color by removing the color. OK...it is a blender but I find it much easier to get prettier results using another color rather than the blender.

Just play with them.

OH! And there isn't just one coloring medium that works for everything. I still love my Prismacolor pencils, my watercolors, my twinkling H2O's, my watercolor crayons......the list goes on. Use the medium that works best for you and for the image on which you are coloring.

Michelle32855
04-14-2010, 08:51 AM
Yes, I would have to opine that you saw a not-so-good demo. Using Copics is a continually evolving affair; and as Jennifer said, there's no one way.

It's really confusing that they refer to it as a "blender" pen because it doesn't work the way other blenders do at all. I too thought about applying the color on the outside edges and just pulling it in, like I do with my Prismas/OMS, but Copics don't work like that.

My advice is to think about it, do lots and lots of research and then decide if you want to try them. Just because they're "hot" right now doesn't mean you have to jump on the bandwagon with both feet. The first one I got was #E00 Flesh White, because I'd heard lots of folks talk about how good it was, and it really was! If you do a lot of faces, I'd recommend getting that one and #R20 Blush. Try just those two and see how you like them.

A great resource is ilikemarkers.blogspot.com I'd recommend spending some time there checking things out; it may well help you decide.

HTH
Michelle

Mrs. Fence
04-14-2010, 09:04 AM
Here (http://thefrugalcrafter.wordpress.com/2010/03/29/egg-mail-and-a-video/) is a video how-to for coloring with copics or any ai marker. You might find it helpful. Good luck. :)

stampit74
04-14-2010, 09:59 AM
yikes! bad demo for sure!

suzi_f
04-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Thank you Tricia!!! I agree that I can't 'get' them. I'm NOT artistic; lighting & shading mean nothing to me. I think I don't want to try them 'cause they are for true artists, not fakers like me. Having said that, maybe I should just get 2 similar colors & try them. I was thinking I'd have to buy a rainbow of colors to start but maybe not. When I get over my Unity & TH addictions, I'll look into them.....

shuggy
04-14-2010, 12:07 PM
i don't get them either. i'm still in love with my other markers!

jazzypurple853
04-14-2010, 01:01 PM
I only have a few for skin colors. They are just too pricey for me!

GSMom385
04-14-2010, 10:08 PM
You don't have to go looking far for help with Copics. I have a tutorial posted here on faces that explains how to blend with colors. Those techniques can be used with any colors and any areas.

I am always happy to help with color combo choices or help with anything with the markers, just pm me anytime, or post it here.

I travel for my real job during the week, so I am not on every night but I do try to catch up when I have been gone.

I normally tell my students the blender should be called a pusher. It pushes color around, or thru the paper. That is why people call it an earser because it pushes the color thru the paper fibers and out the back, which makes the ink disappear if done properly.

GSMom385
04-14-2010, 10:10 PM
i don't get them either. i'm still in love with my other markers!

<gasp> I had no idea, if I had known I would have showed you some stuff while in Vegas I had mine with me in the room.

maxiesmom
04-14-2010, 10:27 PM
<gasp> I had no idea, if I had known I would have showed you some stuff while in Vegas I had mine with me in the room.

Cindy, I just don't think we can all rock the Copic's like you can! At least I am pretty sure in my case.