PDA

View Full Version : Don't people have manners anymore?

inkinupstamps
04-20-2010, 01:22 PM
No...this has nothing to do with stamping. I'm just p.o.ed!! Am I the only person in the world who finds it very rude for complete strangers to come up to you and ask you how much something costs?

Within ten minutes two men came up to me and when they saw Noah they both asked the same two questions.
(1.) "What is it? (meaning what kind of dog)
(2.) How much did you pay for it?

Question #1 is fine. I love showing off my dogs...all of them and telling them about Newfoundlands. I realize not a ton of people are familiar with them or have ever seen one up close, let alone a puppy.

It is question #2 that makes me wonder what has happened to people's sense of privacy and personal business. I wouldn't ask how much someone pays for their house or how much money they make at work. I certainly wouldn't walk up to someone as say, "What is it?" and in barely a second breath ask "How much?"

If someone is interested in purchasing something...anything...do your research. But don't walk up to a complete stranger and ask their personal business.

teabear
04-20-2010, 01:45 PM
I completely agree with you, Jennifer. Money matters aren't up for public discussion as far as I'm concerned. I don't even feel comfortable sharing this type information with my extended family let alone complete strangers.

inkinupstamps
04-20-2010, 01:59 PM
I completely agree with you, Jennifer. Money matters aren't up for public discussion as far as I'm concerned. I don't even feel comfortable sharing this type information with my extended family let alone complete strangers.

Thanks Tami! In my family we do not discuss each other's business either. Some things are personal. And really, do these types of questions (especially when posed by complete strangers) stem from genuine interest in perhaps being ready to make a similiar purchase? NO! It is just nosey-ness!

Tantalize
04-20-2010, 02:01 PM
What is IT and how much is IT?

Pardon my french (so to speak), but its a dog you BEEP and how much the PUPPY is is none of your concern. See those two questions woudlnt phase me, but I think what has is the way they were asked, right Jennifer?

I do go up to people all the time (does this make me any better than them lol) and go "Oh what a cute/pretty/fuzzy/adorable/said adjective dog!! What kind of dog is s/he?!" The location of where the dog came from/the value of the dog is priceless to me, so I don't get why they ask that.

Rude people, hear us roar! lol

inkinupstamps
04-20-2010, 02:14 PM
What is IT and how much is IT?

Pardon my french (so to speak), but its a dog you BEEP and how much the PUPPY is is none of your concern. See those two questions woudlnt phase me, but I think what has is the way they were asked, right Jennifer?

I do go up to people all the time (does this make me any better than them lol) and go "Oh what a cute/pretty/fuzzy/adorable/said adjective dog!! What kind of dog is s/he?!" The location of where the dog came from/the value of the dog is priceless to me, so I don't get why they ask that.

Rude people, hear us roar! lol

Thank you Thanh! And I agree with I DO go up to people all the time and inquire about their darling pooches because I truly love dogs of all kinds. (OK...I have a particular fondness for Newfs!) But commenting and asking about the breed/mix/color/personality is one thing. Giving compliments is entirely different than asking "How much?"

I don't know... I just really couldn't believe it happened twice in 10 minutes. I asked folk on my Newf Net blog/forum and there are those who say "oh well..." but I just don't see it that way. I think it is rude. I think if ever asked again I'll just reply, "PRICELESS!"

cindi
04-20-2010, 02:43 PM
I agree too..drives me nuts when gary asked how much some one paid for something when I tell him so & so got a new whatever. I always tell him I don't know, it's rude to ask! That's what I was always taught anyways. I mean if it's a friend that may be different,., but use judgement, please!!!
:dull:

suzi_f
04-20-2010, 02:49 PM
I guess this is just more crap from the "information age". I guess people just think they have the right to know everything about everybody.

inkinupstamps
04-20-2010, 02:51 PM
I guess this is just more crap from the "information age". I guess people just think they have the right to know everything about everybody.

Amen Suzi! You hit the nail on the head when you stated, "...people just think they have the right to know everything about everybody." It sure wasn't how I was brought up.

midnitecreations
04-20-2010, 02:58 PM
I agree. I hate it when someone asks me how much something is. I've got no problem with people asking the breed of my dog, or even where I got him, but not what I paid for him! My brother does this to me everytime. The minute he sees something, his first question is "how much is it". I finally told him to stop doing that. It's downright rude!! He actually listened. Now he only does it every third time...and I ignore him every third time!

inkinupstamps
04-20-2010, 03:09 PM
I agree. I hate it when someone asks me how much something is. I've got no problem with people asking the breed of my dog, or even where I got him, but not what I paid for him! My brother does this to me everytime. The minute he sees something, his first question is "how much is it". I finally told him to stop doing that. It's downright rude!! He actually listened. Now he only does it every third time...and I ignore him every third time!

Ha ha ha ha! Renu, you made me laugh.

I agree. I have no problem with people asking about the breed either. In fact, it is a rare day that we are not stopped repeatedly on the street by people who either want to pet or ask questions about my Newfs. I love that!! But "how much" just really is not appropriate.

HeatherJ
04-20-2010, 04:48 PM
Manners have definitely changed over the years.

limeyscrapper
04-20-2010, 05:07 PM
I agree totally! Questions about money, and how much you paid for something are not appropriate at all.
I was brought up in England, and people there did not talk so much about money. It was considered rude to ask such questions.
Here in Canada, there are more people that ask those kinds of questions, I still find it hard to know what to say.

maxiesmom
04-20-2010, 05:29 PM
This is sort of related. I was brought up that when you were given a monetary gift and it was opened in front of people other than the giver alone you don't announce how much you were given. 1- it isn't anyone else's business and 2- you don't want someone else to feel bad if they didn't give as much.
My niece had her communion on Sunday and there she sat with her little friends and cousins around her and she was announcing it to everyone. Ohh, I got 50.00, I got 100.00. The other girls were keeping a running count of how much she got! And all I could think of was how inappropriate this is! Clearly, my sil had not been raised as I was cause she sat there and let her do it. :nah:

ccstampin12
04-20-2010, 05:41 PM
Odd. isn't it....
Our neighbor does that all the time to us whenever we get something new.
He's in his 70's so it isn't just the young people lacking the manners!
LOL
Joanie

Patty
04-20-2010, 06:47 PM
My parents always said "it's nobody's business". I agree--I don't even discuss things like this with my fully grown kids. A few years ago I had to sell my aunt's home as she was going into a nursing home. I have a cousin who was no help in all of this, but did find the time to call me and ask how much "I wanted for it" .She said it would be a great little house for her son. I said I'd give her the realtor's nuimbe if she wanted it--which she didn't. Never heard from her again until the sold sign went up. She called and said "I see the house sold, how much did "you" get for it? I just told her "NOT ENOUGH". I guess she's a slow learner. ps--That was almost 10 years ago and I have never heard from her since!! I really didn't mean to be snotty, but I figured that if she had enough nerve to ask, then I could have the nerve to tell her that. Was that terrible?

loobylou
04-20-2010, 06:56 PM
Okay, shoot me if you like, but I don't think these questions would offend me. Maybe us Aussies are way more "laid back". I think if someone asked me how much I paid for my dog, I'd tell them, or I'd say "you can get one for between $1000 and $10000 depending on the breeder- would you be interested in buying one? I can give you the breeder's number"
Now, if they ask me how much my husband earned last year, I'd be less forthcoming!
Sounds like your new baby is getting lots of attention, Jennifer!

iloveflipflops
04-20-2010, 08:36 PM
First off, i would NEVER go up to someone and ask how much a dog cost. Its none of my business. Why do they care anyway!?!??! Geez. That is weird it happened twice like that back to back (so to speak).

Lori
04-21-2010, 07:39 AM
When we got our first Dobie pup, a guy asked me how much she cost. I told him, none of his business. Caught him in my backyard trying to steal her, 2 days later! So I would have been very upset over that part of the conversation!