PDA

View Full Version : Asparagus - anyone have a recipe?

kimmyqtgirl
05-27-2010, 03:58 PM
I recently discovered that I like asparagus so I picked some up at the fruit market but i was wondering if anyone had a recipe for a good way to cook it. I was just going to sauté it with garlic and olive oil.

maxiesmom
05-27-2010, 04:15 PM
That sounds like a plan. We usually sort of steam/cook it in a pan with a small amount of water, drain and then add some melted butter. But your way is probably healthier!

teabear
05-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Throw some olive oil, salt, and pepper and any other spices you like on it, rosemary is good. Stir it around and lay out on a baking sheet. Roast in the oven turning over a few times until it's roasty toasty. I do this at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes or so depending on how fat the stalks are. You can eat it hot or cold when cooked this way. If there's any left over (rarely) I put the rest in my salad for lunch the next day. Also, if you don't know, snap off the woody ends of the asparagus. I like to just eat the tender part, but you can also peel the bottom part and eat those too.

GSMom385
05-27-2010, 06:33 PM
I have a one where you take prosudo ( I know I am spelling that wrong, but you get it at the deli counter it is a kind of lunch meat ) and swiss cheese, wrap that around a couple of spears and then hold it together with a toothpick put in the oven at 350 for about 10 minutes, until the cheese is melty and the stuff is tender. Make sure to spray the pan good or the melted cheese doesn't come off very good. It is yummy! My kids even eat it, however I am sure it isn't the healthest way to prepare it but if I can get my kids to eat veggies by slathing them with cheese I will do it.

Christie
05-27-2010, 07:17 PM
it's also good to cut up and add to some cooked ground beef with some onions and garlic then add a little Parmesan cheese and serve over bow tie pasta.

kimmyqtgirl
05-27-2010, 08:27 PM
Wow those are some great ideAs and I've never had it cold. I'll have to see which one dh wants to try first:)

Kreative Dryve
05-28-2010, 04:01 PM
I like to put mine in with my steak in the george forman grill, add a little garlic to it.
Comes out perfect in 7 minutes or less.

teabear
05-28-2010, 04:54 PM
I like to put mine in with my steak in the george forman grill, add a little garlic to it.
Comes out perfect in 7 minutes or less.

This is a great idea, Marie. Thanks for the tip.