PDA

View Full Version : birthday list ??

Far North
10-24-2006, 10:22 AM
Okay, I am signed on to the birthday group list...but I don't understand how it works. How do I know when people have birthdays (in advance of the calendar post) and their addresses?
Thanks for the help...Jan

lost luggage
10-24-2006, 10:23 AM
Jan- you can click on "calendar" (up there) and see the complete month as well as advance to any month in the future you want. :)

Hope this helps,
Julie

inkinupstamps
10-24-2006, 10:32 AM
you can get some member's addresses from the Birthday list address thread down at the bottom of the forums page. Not everyone has posted their mailing address but there are a number of them there.

iloveflipflops
10-24-2006, 10:59 AM
Where is it again?

inkinupstamps
10-24-2006, 11:02 AM
The birthday address list is the third thread from the BOTTOM. Just post a reply with your info there.:)

iloveflipflops
10-24-2006, 11:03 AM
HA

Maybe I DO need glasses!!!

inkinupstamps
10-24-2006, 11:08 AM
The info on the thread lists it as:

Birthday List
The Stamp Shack Birthday List
Member Addresses
If you would like to receive cards on your birthday, please add your address to the list. Address List
by Erin K 17 Hours Ago 1 18

I've just copied and pasted that info as it appears.

lost luggage
10-24-2006, 11:09 AM
You have to subscribe to the list before you can see the list...it's James Bond like that. lol Here is a quote from Sherry's email a couple of days ago on a different thread- hope this helps:

Hi Joanne,

Nothing really prevents a person from having access to the address list, however, regular users cannot see the list unless the specifically subscribe to be a member of the birthday forum. So, no, it's not secure but it is a bit more secure than having the addresses posted on the members list

Sherry

iloveflipflops
10-24-2006, 11:16 AM
and I swear it was not there 5 minutes ago? ha ha

I really do need to make myself an eye appt!!!

THANKS!

Sherry
10-24-2006, 11:23 AM
Okay, I am signed on to the birthday group list...but I don't understand how it works. How do I know when people have birthdays (in advance of the calendar post) and their addresses?
Thanks for the help...Jan

Hi Jan,

If you are signed up for the birthday list, you should be able to see the "Birthday List" forum in which users have started an address list.

To keep track of upcoming birthdays, check out the calendar. You can scroll months in advance to see upcomming birthdays. Then, if you wish to send a card, look through the address list to see if their name is listed.

I am currently looking for a better method in which to do the birthday list. Perhaps we could add peoples addresses (if they choose) to the calendar itself. When you click on a user's name, it would give you the address. We could make the calendar accessible to registered users only.

Just a thought...

Sherry

Erin K
10-24-2006, 11:28 AM
I am currently looking for a better method in which to do the birthday list. Perhaps we could add peoples addresses (if they choose) to the calendar itself. When you click on a user's name, it would give you the address. We could make the calendar accessible to registered users only.

Just a thought...

Sherry

I love this idea! I'd also like to be emailed one week before each birthday with the person's name and adress. I'm kidding about that part! But honestly I'd love it if the calendar had addresses on it. This site gets more amazing every day!

Sherry
10-24-2006, 11:31 AM
Let me look into adding the addresses to the calendar - this might not be possible.

Erin K
10-24-2006, 11:33 AM
even if it's not the calendar is still cool.

Thanks for checking!

:)e

Far North
10-24-2006, 11:40 AM
I see the address list fine. The calendar--are you talking about the one on the home page that announces the birthdays of the day. I am not seeing future birthdays--what do I click?

Sherry--Addresses with the calendar sound great! I did not add my address onto the list cause it felt like somehow it needed to be organized so we could find a person faster than individual postings--I like the concept!
...Jan

Sherry
10-24-2006, 11:45 AM
I see the address list fine. The calendar--are you talking about the one on the home page that announces the birthdays of the day. I am not seeing future birthdays--what do I click?

Sherry--Addresses with the calendar sound great! I did not add my address onto the list cause it felt like somehow it needed to be organized so we could find a person faster than individual postings--I like the concept!
...Jan

Hi Jan,

The calendar can be accessed by clicking the "Calendar" link in the navigation menu at the top of your screen. It is located beside the "Chat Room" Link.

Hope this helps!

iloveflipflops
10-24-2006, 11:46 AM
There is a little spot on the right hand bottom corner where you can change the month and year, click on those and those bring up the new birthdays for each month.

Does that work?

Sherry
10-24-2006, 11:49 AM
Okay ladies,

I have added an event reminder script to the calendar. It is located near the top of the calendar. You have the option to Auto-remind yourself of events from the calendar one, two, or three days in advance of the event. I know this doesn't help much in the way of long term organization and for the sending of cards, but you will receive notification via email of events based on your selection.

Now, let me look into the address thing.

Sherry

Sherry
10-24-2006, 12:10 PM
Okay, here is the scoop!

I have added a section to the profile that will allow you to add your address, if you so wish. Now, when you click on a user's name from the calendar you will see their address. To see an example, click on the calendar, scroll to Feb 2007, click on "Sherry". In the bottom left hand corner, you will see my address.

Would this work for everyone? We could make the calendar/member list available to registered users only so that unregistered users/banned users will not be able to view the addresses.

Whaddya think?

Oh yeah, if you would like to add your address to your profile, click "User CP" from the navigation menu. Then click on "edit profile". At the very bottom, there will be a place for you to input your address.

Erin K
10-24-2006, 12:19 PM
I think that will work perfectly. I think the idea of only registered users being able to see the info is good too.

:)e

Erin K
10-24-2006, 12:38 PM
I don't see where I can do the autoremind... I know a I'm a big troublemaker, I'm so sorry
e

Sherry
10-24-2006, 12:41 PM
I don't see where I can do the autoremind... I know a I'm a big troublemaker, I'm so sorry
e

Hi Erin,

It is located on the calendar, just below where it says "Default Calendar" and just above where it says "October 2006".

lost luggage
10-24-2006, 01:37 PM
I think the addresses in the calendar is great!

I am still nervous about posting my information there though...how about instead of allowing access to registered users, there is a time limit too? Say- only users with 30 posts...or only users that have been registered for a minimum of 30 days?

Just a thought... it's a nerve racking world we live in... I'm even nervous to post pictures of the baby on the site. :( I do know a couple of people who were "stalked" before..so this topic hits close to home for me.

Far North
10-24-2006, 10:46 PM
Julie-I understand what you are saying about kids pics...I was a part of a general craft site where some Mom's had problems with trolls--it can get nasty.

Sherry you are a wonder woman with your computer knowledge! This is going to be great! Thanks a bunch!
...Jan

stampcrazyjulie
10-24-2006, 11:09 PM
I am a wee bit nervous about the address thing too....can people later google it & it will show our addresses from here on it? I think it would be nice if they were registered users for a certain amount of time or posts or something too. I mean what stops people from joining just to get info & stuff?