PDA

View Full Version : I need a really easy Fourth of July recipe!

tojoco
06-25-2010, 09:12 AM
We're invited to a 4th of July bbq next Sunday and I would like to bring something "different" but don't want to spent a whole lot of time in the kitchen. A real easy dessert or side dish would be great. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

jazzypurple853
06-25-2010, 09:25 AM
I have Toll House Chocolate Chip Pie , which was recommended by Mrs. Fence.

http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/detail.aspx?id=28218

I'll keep looking to see if I have anything else.

jazzypurple853
06-25-2010, 09:46 AM
I have also made this:

Banana Split Dessert

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/dess/banana-split-dessert.html

Don't add the cherries if you don't want them.

iloveflipflops
06-25-2010, 10:42 AM
This is my favorite fruit salad recipe and I always get compliments on it ...

Fruit Salad Supreme

16 oz can sliced peaches, drained
16 oz can mandarin oranges, drained
16 oz can chunk pineapples, drained
16 oz can apricots, drained
20 oz frozen strawberries, thawed - DO NOT DRAIN STRAWBERRIES
1 small box instant vanilla pudding

Mix all together and let chill. Serves about 10. (Last time I tried it with Walmart brand fruits and pudding and it was not as good).

KarenM
06-25-2010, 11:37 AM
I have the exact same recipe as Iloveflipflops for fruit salad but it adds a tablespoon of Tang powder (yes, the astronaut drink). Everyone loves it. The Tang adds just a bit of zip to it. I also used to have a great recipe for an icecream sandwich cake. I'll see if I can find it.

KarenM
06-25-2010, 11:40 AM
I found it! This one calls for 2 layers of the ice cream sandwiches but I only make it with one layer.
Ingredients

19 ice cream sandwiches
1 (12 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 (12 ounce) jar hot fudge ice cream topping
1 cup salted peanuts

Directions

Cut one ice cream sandwich in half. Place one whole and one half sandwich along a short side of an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. pan. Arrange eight sandwiches in opposite direction in the pan. Spread with half of the whipped topping. Spoon fudge topping by teaspoonfuls onto whipped topping. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup peanuts. Repeat layers with remaining ice cream sandwiches, whipped topping and peanuts (pan will be full).
Cover and freeze for up to 2 months. Remove from the freezer 20 minutes before serving. Cut into squares.

jazzypurple853
06-25-2010, 11:47 AM
How about Jamaican Rum cake?

http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/recipes/desserts/jamaican-rum-cake/

iloveflipflops
06-25-2010, 01:26 PM
[QUOTE=KarenM;362707]I have the exact same recipe as Iloveflipflops for fruit salad but it adds a tablespoon of Tang powder (yes, the astronaut drink). Everyone loves it. The Tang adds just a bit of zip to it. I also used to have a great recipe for an icecream sandwich cake. I'll see if I can find it.[/QUOTE

Tang? I will have to try that :). Thanks for the tip. Your other recipe sounds great right about now!!

mydogstinks2
06-25-2010, 03:42 PM
I got all the stuff but the apricots to make Sherri's salad. There are no apricots to be found! We looked all over the store!!

Vintagegal
06-25-2010, 08:13 PM
I've done sweet-n-sour sausage in a crock pot. I take two packages of Hilshire Farms smokies (cocktail sausages.) Then I put it in a crock pot with two bottles of sweet-n-sour sauce. I let it heat up for two hours (on low) before the party. Voila! All done!

Patty
06-25-2010, 08:17 PM
Wow---these all sound good. Maybe I'll try a few of them for the 4th!!

cindi
06-25-2010, 08:53 PM
what about a caprice salad?
thin sliced tomatoes, and mozzarella cheese, lay on a plate alternating a tomato slice and cheese slice until plate is covered, drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, sprinkle with salt & pepper and torn basil leaves..yummy
plus it does well in the heat becuase it has no mayo.
:)

GSMom385
06-25-2010, 09:01 PM
Party potatoes are always a hit at BBQ's here and super easy. 1 bag of hashbrowns, 1 large size cottage cheese we like the low fat kind but you can use any kind, 1 small french onion chip dip, shredded colby jack cheese, small amount of chips any kind you like, my kids like bbq on top but we have done this with doritos, regular chips, baked fritos really anything works. Put the hashbrowns in a 9 x 13 baking dish mix the cottage cheese and chip dip together and then spread over the top of the hashbrowns. Bake for 15-20 minutes and then remove from the oven and stir, by this time the hashbrowns have thawed and are easier to mix up with the goo on top. Bake for another 20-30 minutes or until the edges begin to brown, put the cheese on top in a thin layer, bake for 3-4 until the cheese melts then crunch up the chips and top with them. These work well in covered dish and stay hot for a long time. They are also good luke warm. Easy peasy.

Another one the kids like a lot is pickle roll ups. Take a flour totilla, spread it with cream cheese, lay a slice of regular ham lunch meat on the tortilla, and then roll a whole dill pickle up in it, use a little cream cheese to seal the deal. Then cut into 1 inch rolled sections and put on their side in a dish. We eat the ends that don't make smooth little rolls while we make them. Also very easy I make them for soccer pot luck alot and can do a whole batch in under 20 minutes.

Last one is a good dessert but it takes a little long, not hard just takes some time. Any type of brownie mix, make and bake. Let cool, until no longer warm to the touch. Take a regular can of frosting mix and crumb the brownie and frosting together to make a paste like mixture. Use a small spoon or melon baller to make small balls and drop on a cookie sheet, put them in the freezer until hard. Melt almond bark and dip the frozen balls into the almond bark and allow to setup. Put in a sealed container and let them thaw out before eating, normally takes a few hours. If you eat them early you can break a tooth. They get really moist on the inside and are very rich. You can also try other combos on this like different types of brownie to different frosting flavors. My kids like strawberry frosting and dark choc brownies with white almond bark. I have also heard of doing this same thing with crushed oreo cookie and vanilla frosting.

Hope one of those helps you out.

cindi
06-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Just for the record...

This thread is making me hungry!!!
:goofy::goofy::goofy:

emmcee
06-25-2010, 09:07 PM
I agree with Cindy, this thread is making me hungry. Lots of good recipes, I love to make Sherri's fruit salad.

tojoco
06-25-2010, 09:33 PM
OMG I knew you girls would help me. All these recipes sound delicious. I'm going to print them all out and then decide which one I'll make but those little chocolate balls sound great and there'll be quite a few kids at the bbq so I think they would love them.

tesschap
06-25-2010, 09:39 PM
Wow - great recipes! I'm going to try many of them myself.

Inkisallover
06-26-2010, 11:08 AM
Wow! This sounds delicious! I'm definetly msking this one.
Thanks!

I found it! This one calls for 2 layers of the ice cream sandwiches but I only make it with one layer.
Ingredients

19 ice cream sandwiches
1 (12 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 (12 ounce) jar hot fudge ice cream topping
1 cup salted peanuts

Directions

Cut one ice cream sandwich in half. Place one whole and one half sandwich along a short side of an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. pan. Arrange eight sandwiches in opposite direction in the pan. Spread with half of the whipped topping. Spoon fudge topping by teaspoonfuls onto whipped topping. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup peanuts. Repeat layers with remaining ice cream sandwiches, whipped topping and peanuts (pan will be full).
Cover and freeze for up to 2 months. Remove from the freezer 20 minutes before serving. Cut into squares.

jazzypurple853
06-26-2010, 01:50 PM
what about a caprice salad?
thin sliced tomatoes, and mozzarella cheese, lay on a plate alternating a tomato slice and cheese slice until plate is covered, drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, sprinkle with salt & pepper and torn basil leaves..yummy
plus it does well in the heat becuase it has no mayo.
:)

I may have to try this recipe!

GotCats?
06-27-2010, 07:12 AM
SUPER easy recipe, so easy I hesitate to post it, but I LOVE it!

All you need is whipped cream (in the tub), chips ahoy and some milk. Place small layer of whipped cream in a deep (like trifle?) dish. Dip chips ahoy in milk, and place a layer on top of the whipped cream. Repeat layers until your bowl is filled. Place in fridge overnight or a few hours.

YUM!!!
Easy.

tojoco
06-27-2010, 09:21 AM

All you need is whipped cream (in the tub), chips ahoy and some milk. Place small layer of whipped cream in a deep (like trifle?) dish. Dip chips ahoy in milk, and place a layer on top of the whipped cream. Repeat layers until your bowl is filled. Place in fridge overnight or a few hours.

YUM!!!
Easy.

Wow this sounds wonderfully delicious .... and really really easy.

MissyO
06-27-2010, 07:39 PM
Yummm, I am going to have to try one of these for our upcoming festivities at the neighbors. Does any one have a good recipe for a great dip that doesn't consist of mayo?

cindi
06-27-2010, 10:26 PM
Yummm, I am going to have to try one of these for our upcoming festivities at the neighbors. Does any one have a good recipe for a great dip that doesn't consist of mayo?

my fave onion dip

1 container sour cream, 1 envelope onion soup mix..stir together and let sit a few hours
yummy!

Mrs. Fence
06-27-2010, 10:36 PM

YUM!!!
Easy.

I've made this before and always get lots of compliments! It is delicious! I've also made it with Oreos instead of chocolate chip cookies. Very yummy - either way! No one believes me when I tell them how easy it is!

maxiesmom
06-27-2010, 11:13 PM
I've made this before and always get lots of compliments! It is delicious! I've also made it with Oreos instead of chocolate chip cookies. Very yummy - either way! No one believes me when I tell them how easy it is!

Both of these sound great! I promised I'd make Magic cookie for the 4th weekend, but may do this too since it's so easy. I am assuming you want to get a good dunk on the cookies to soften them up?

IMBlessed5
06-27-2010, 11:55 PM
Great ideas there! I've made the ice cream sandwich dessert - it's SO good!

Ok, so I'm going to a family reunion that's 2 1/2 hours away in a couple weeks. Need to take a couple dishes. What travels well? Can't be something I have to keep hot, or frozen. We do have a big cooler if it needs to be refrigerated, but even then the food will be out in the heat when served so I'm not too big on something that will spoil or melt quickly.

Any ideas?

jazzypurple853
06-28-2010, 11:46 AM
my fave onion dip

1 container sour cream, 1 envelope onion soup mix..stir together and let sit a few hours
yummy!

I too have made this recipe. Yummy, yummy!

Mrs. Fence
06-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Both of these sound great! I promised I'd make Magic cookie for the 4th weekend, but may do this too since it's so easy. I am assuming you want to get a good dunk on the cookies to soften them up?

Just a quick dunk - no need to soak it or anything. Just in the milk, then out!

tojoco
06-28-2010, 08:45 PM

How about Velveeta Cheese and a can of diced tomatoes w/jalapeno peppers? This is a great dip for tortilla chips. Just put the two ingredients together and stick in the microwave to melt; then mix and ... whalla!

GSMom385
06-28-2010, 10:57 PM
Vicki I have taken the brownie ball or oreo ball one to soccer games in major heat and they tend to hold up well if you need a dessert as long as they are not in the direct sun.

I can't remember if I put this one in my post above but I also have a Chinese Salad we take to lots of soccer games I make the dressing ahead of time and put in a small container and then take the slaw mix in a cooler and then mix them right before serving. It doesn't have to be in the frig as there is nothing in it that would require cooling I just find the salad tastes better if the slaw is cool.

so here goes, 1 package coleslaw mix and 1 package ramen noodles any flavor doesn't matter as you don't use the flavor packet you throw that part away.

Dressing- Brown in a small amount of butter, 1 package sliced almonds and 1 container seasame seeds. Dump in the oil mixture while hot and it will make a sizzle noise as they cool.
Mix 1/2 c olive oil, 3 T vinegar, 1 t seasoned salt, 1 t black pepper

Mix the dressing over the ramen noodles broken up and the slaw mix right before serving. If you want the salad really crunchy you can also add a handful of chow mein noodles too. My kiddos like it crunchy. Sometimes I put a little more oil on it if I add the extra noodles. Easy peasy and it is something the kids will eat, which is always a plus for me cuz my kids are really picky eaters. This is one of the very few veggies dishes they like.

Paula Carden
06-29-2010, 06:36 AM
Some very good ideas here!

IMBlessed5
06-29-2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks Cindy! My mother-in-law makes that chinese salad. Good stuff!