PDA

View Full Version : Tried making my own Glimmer Mist

suzi_f
07-18-2010, 08:40 PM
I'm NOT liking the results. Both my attempts, my sprayer is clogged. I the dark color will not stay mixed. If I spray ABOVE my project, I get some pretty good "mist" results but I'm not seeing a whole lot of "glimmer". <sigh> I had such high hopes..... Oh well, on to crinkle ribbon.....

cindi
07-18-2010, 09:21 PM
where is Christie..she is the queen of making this..hers is always fab!!! maybe she'll see this and be more helpful than I was, though I am happy with mine now
:)

Christie
07-18-2010, 10:00 PM
What kind of powder are you using??? I always use perfect pearls. I have never ever had my sprayer clog. I usually do about 4 drops of the distressed re-inkers and I take the end of plastic spoon and pick up my perfect pearls with as much that will fit and pour into the bottle. Then I fill the bottle 3/4 of the way with water. You need a little room in there to shake it up. I"m way too cheap to buy the already made stuff and I always love the results of my homemade stuff. If I spray it and it's not dark enough I either wait for it to dry and spray again or I add more drops of ink to the bottle.

Lori
07-19-2010, 06:38 AM
I bought a distress reinker over the weekend to try this...

stampinmom3
07-19-2010, 07:04 AM
I just saw a post on the CTMH boards about this over the weekend. It recommends using the CTMH create a shade paint, 90% rubbing alchohol, and reinkers. It also said to swirl and stir, not to shake because it will clog the sprayer. I can't wait to get a sprayer and alcohol to try this!

suzi_f
07-19-2010, 08:26 AM
My "recipe" called for paint. I think I may have put too much in!! I put 2-3 popsicle sticks of perfect pearls in. (BIG spray bottles) On Cindi's suggestion, I tried the mini misters & they are CRAP!! It SQUIRTS, not mists. I'm sad :(

loobylou
07-19-2010, 09:06 AM
I think the paint is your problem- you will need to make it a water like consistency to get good results.

shuggy
07-19-2010, 09:16 AM
no paint. just water and perfect pearls. and you can't cheap out on the bottle. i got the melody ross bottle from archivers ($5) and it's the best i've found. no problems. i used the mini misters and hated them. and i used a cheapy from the travel section in the store and it didn't work.

cindi
07-19-2010, 09:26 AM
I tried teh cheap misters..had no luck, but the mini misters totally did the trick for me. I am using the distress ink reinkers and perfect pearls
:)

suzi_f
07-19-2010, 09:43 AM
Ok, so I bought the Perfect Pearls ($18 less 40% off), the bottles at $5 each & reinkers for $3-4 each. WHEN do I start SAVING $$$ over the Glimmer Mist. LOL

limeyscrapper
07-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Over the last few years, I have tried several different methods and several store bought sprays. This is what works for me.
I use Pearl-Ex powders, which I feel are a little finer powder than the Perfect Pearls, and they work beautifully.
I'm tired of spray bottles that cost money and don't do the job, so I use my own empty hairspray bottles instead of buying others.
I use a few drops of re-inker ( not paint!) some water, and then add the pearl-ex powder until I am happy with the results.
I have never had the nozzle get clogged using my own stuff, even if I shake it "up and down" vigorously as opposed to "side to side swirling"
I like that I can add more re-inker for a darker color, or add more Pearl-Ex for more shimmer, it's totally to my liking. When I am happy with it, I spray an adhesive label for reference and then stick it on the bottle, so that I know what colour I made.
I do agree though that if you don't think you have enough shimmer at the first spraying, then just spray it again.

Christie
07-19-2010, 10:58 AM
My "recipe" called for paint. I think I may have put too much in!! I put 2-3 popsicle sticks of perfect pearls in. (BIG spray bottles) On Cindi's suggestion, I tried the mini misters & they are CRAP!! It SQUIRTS, not mists. I'm sad :(

Yup, I think you put to much perfect pearls. It needs to be thin not thick. I use the mini misters and mine work perfect. I also use a couple of larger bottles and they work great too. Never any clogging.

Christie
07-19-2010, 11:00 AM
Here are the Tim Holtz directions: http://timholtz.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/02/march-technique.html
He has pictures and step by step directions. This is the same way I do it.