PDA

View Full Version : The first week of college life ...

iloveflipflops
08-22-2010, 10:45 AM
So I thought I would tell you all how the first week went for Emily at college. Besides the fact, on the very first day, she and her roommate had rented a movie for $1 from one of those red box machines. They LOST it the first day after watching it!! Its $1 a day and $25 if you lose it. She thought it was funny she lost it. I was like "no, its not funny Emily". She did find 2 days later and took it back, just had to pay $3 (which was a whole lot better than $25!).

Yesterday she tells me she didn't get just ONE parking ticket, but 3 parking tickets. She parked in a no parking zone and hadn't moved her car in 3 days. Got 3 tickets. I am going to tell her to go to the police station on campus (where she has to pay her tickets) and tell them she didnt' know it was a no park zone and she hadn't even been to her in 3 days and MAYBE they will take away 2 of the tickets. Each parking ticket is $15 :(.

Other than all that, she seems to be adjusting fine. She was a little homesick yesterday but i think they were bored and just went to the mall. She doesn't like the mall, its not as nice as our mall and the mall is 40 minutes away. So ....

She is doing her homework this morning. I'm shocked she's even awake . LOL

cindi
08-22-2010, 10:58 AM
never a dull moment!! how often will she be coming home?
:)

Paula Carden
08-22-2010, 11:09 AM
Sounds like she is doing good!
The first quarter/semester for me in college way back in 1975- I got hundreds of dollars in parking tickets. My parents made me pay for them too. I ended having to pay at the end of the school year so I could register for the next year. I had a full scholarship that was in jeopardy but I had no idea they would really make me pay- It was more than 1,000.00. Now they just tow your car. Also without paying they want release grades now.
Universities take the parking policies quite serious. So tell her to be careful - I will be surprised if they wave the tickets.
Not too many years ago I was on campus at WCU and when I got back to my car it was hooked to a tow truck. I was no happy- paid 75.00 and got it unhooked.

mydogstinks2
08-22-2010, 11:11 AM
not a bad start. Did she find som place else to park??

tojoco
08-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Can't she get a parking pass for the semester? I pay $500 for corey's pass and he can park anywhere on campus without fear of a ticket .. except for non-parking zones.

iloveflipflops
08-22-2010, 12:30 PM
She does have a parking pass and it was $80 but that's all they have. Nothing like what Corey has. She must've just parked in a no parking zone because she couldnt' find a place to park is what i am guessing.

Paula Carden
08-22-2010, 12:53 PM
We always to tease that it is a pass "to hunt" for a parking space-not actually park as on my campuses parking is a premium.

Patty
08-22-2010, 12:59 PM
Well, I guess that's how they learn. In the grand scheme, I suppose that is a rather inexpensive lesson. You mentioned homework--I didn't realize classes began already. I'm impressed. Good luck to BOTH of you.

shadoob
08-22-2010, 01:19 PM
yep, that sounds pretty typical to me for a first week...I was SO VERY GLAD when my ds graduated from his college (for lots of reasons) but I am afraid that a small town in New Hampshire lost lots of revenue that they got from his parking tickets!

tesschap
08-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Sounds like a typical first week of college! Drew used to get parking tickets a lot. The problem was there were so many communiting students they took all of the spots from those who lived on campus. He tried to grieve them but no one listened. Once Emily gets a few weekends in away from home the home sickness should lessen. I am so glad these days are behind us! I know I missed our boys more than they missed home!

ccstampin12
08-22-2010, 07:56 PM
Glad things are going well....well except for the lost movie and the parking fines!
I was SO homesick when I first went to college!
HUGS
Joanie

midnitecreations
08-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Mine goes to college next Friday, so I've got a week more here with him. He's not taking his car with him the first week since Freshman can't park close to the dorms, so I won't have to worry about parking tickets till next year! How are you holding up?

iloveflipflops
08-22-2010, 08:28 PM
I'm doing pretty good but its just been a week. I may go visit her on Wed. I do miss her...

MidwestStamper
08-22-2010, 08:36 PM
How does Nicholas like being an 'only child'? That's the big thing that Daniel noticed when big brother went off to College--now all the focus was on him!

teabear
08-23-2010, 11:23 AM
LOL on the parking tickets. I got them, too. Sometimes you're in a hurry to get to class. She'll figure it all out soon.