PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble with watercoloring

sensiblychicgirl
10-24-2006, 02:45 PM
I think I am either not using enough water or too much watercolor pencil. Do you just put a little colored circle in the middle of what you are coloring and then brush over with water?? I have never done watercoloring before and it looks so pretty. Please help!

sensiblychicgirl

iloveflipflops
10-24-2006, 03:13 PM
but that's what I do. I have a watercolor pencil and when i use my blending pen, i just use very little water with it.

I also have this palette of watercolor inks (that are hard) and again, I use very little water.

Is that what you need to know? Good luck!

iloveflipflops
10-24-2006, 03:15 PM
http://stamp-shack.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=309&limit=recent

sensiblychicgirl
10-24-2006, 03:23 PM
That should help. I think maybe I was putting too much water on it.

sensiblychicgirl

lost luggage
10-24-2006, 03:25 PM
but that's what I do. I have a watercolor pencil and when i use my blending pen, i just use very little water with it.

I also have this palette of watercolor inks (that are hard) and again, I use very little water.

Is that what you need to know? Good luck!

I have a question..whan you guys mention "blending pen" do you mean water brush or the blending pen?

iloveflipflops
10-24-2006, 03:28 PM
not blending pen. Sorry!!

lost luggage
10-24-2006, 03:28 PM
not blending pen. Sorry!!

Thanks for clearing that up! I may have started a new technique all together. lol

dgbearsmom
10-24-2006, 03:53 PM
I have used a blender pen with watercolor pencils and I thought it worked pretty good. There are also pens you can buy that you fill with water. There is a brand called Aqua Painter (I think). I got one at Hobby Lobby or Michael's or somwhere and I can't remember the brand. I have a hard time using a brush. I don't know if it's because my fingers are too fat or what. I just find some kind of pen easier to use and control with out getting color all over the place.

Judy

flyingflower
10-24-2006, 05:27 PM
then blended the color into the space with the Dove blender pen. I tried to do the same thing with an Aqua Brush, but it was just too wet. When I use the Twinkling H2O watercolor pans, I use the Aqua Brush to pick up the color. I've also used the Aqua Brush with watercolor crayons - scribble some of the crayon onto a scrap of paper, wet it with the brush/pick it up and paint the area (can also be done with watercolor pencils).

HTH

sensiblychicgirl
10-24-2006, 05:39 PM
I am going to try outlining my image with the pencil and see how that goes.

sensiblychicgirl

Beaglelover
10-24-2006, 06:32 PM
I color in the image then use the brush. I make sure that there isn't very much water on the brush however and the instructions that came with my watercolor pencils said to brush from the outside in.

I have to agree, it sound like you are using too much water. Experiementing is half the battle.

I love my Twinkling H20s, but it took some practice because I was using too much water and the wrong size of paint brush.

Teresa