PDA

View Full Version : computer dramas and some suprises- What a day!

loobylou
01-12-2011, 07:37 AM
this afternoon I was using my computer, and suddenly lost internet connection. I was unable to get it back up even after powercycling my modem. I kept trying every hour, but was finally peeved enough to call my ISP after 3 hours. So I rang tech support to find out that my provider had an "unscheduled outage" that was affecting 80,000 customers in my state. He tells me it will be back up within the hour. So I turned my computer back on to upload some pics from my camera while I wait. Here's where the panic begins...I somehow was back to "factory settings'- none of my photos, or documents, itunes etc. I about fainted! That's years worth of stuff gone in a blink of an eye!!!!!!!! I turned my computer off and went to break the news to hubby. Of course he said "what did you do to it?"- which made me even crosser! I had restarted my computer so many times today I was sure I had somehow hit the wrong button and blown it all up!
There was a happy ending though- when i turned it back on again, I was back to normal...yippee! So I figured it was a sign from above to back up my computer quick smart- I have spent the past hour copying everything to my external hard drive. and now all is right with the world.

This morning i had a big cleanup of a shelf in my craftroom, and found a couple of nice suprises. A gorgouse doodlebug stamp set that was sent to me last year by a Shackie, that I had never used, and some skinny sachets for making iced tea that seem to be from Walmart. I tried the peach flavour and they are to die for. They are the perfect pick me up after me computer drama today

ccstampin12
01-12-2011, 07:54 AM
Sarah, I almost broke a sweat for you when you said it was "all gone!"
WHEW for you!
I hate computer drama!
Hoping my new desktop will be drama free once I learn how to use my Photoshop and Printshop programs~!
HUGS
Joanie

shadoob
01-12-2011, 08:18 AM
oh my! So glad it was all OK after a bit. scary stuff.

Lori
01-12-2011, 09:16 AM
Hey Sarah, do you have Windows 7? Mine does that sometimes. Its scarey everytime it happens.

Christie
01-12-2011, 10:35 AM
Glad that all wasn't lost!!! That would of been nerve racking for sure!

Patty
01-12-2011, 01:07 PM
OMG...I went through that about 6 months ago, I installed Windows 7 to get off of Vista. Disaster...the Geek Squad said they could fix it. All they did was return it to factory settings (aka Vista). My dd finally fixed it and Ellie's hubby walked me through getting Carbonite. No more Geek Squad for me...I have AT&T and they provide backup...they were absolutely WONDERFUL!!! All is fine now (until the next time) . Glad you guys are all put back together too.

HeatherJ
01-12-2011, 01:50 PM
That would be a real scare, for sure! Glad it worked itself out!

RubberLady603
01-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Wow! Glad it turned out good for you! I would have freaked out! I have never backed up my computer. I need to learn how!

loobylou
01-12-2011, 07:13 PM
Hey Sarah, do you have Windows 7? Mine does that sometimes. Its scarey everytime it happens.

I have Windows XP. This has Never happened to me before. I think I have had this computer since 2006. The thing I was most upset about was photos. With everything being digital these days, it's so important to have digital copies in more than one place.

Patty
01-12-2011, 07:24 PM
I have Windows XP. This has Never happened to me before. I think I have had this computer since 2006. The thing I was most upset about was photos. With everything being digital these days, it's so important to have digital copies in more than one place.

I agree...I just converted my digis to cd (or is it dvd? I'll NEVER be a geek!!)