PDA

View Full Version : Cake decorating help???

kimmyqtgirl
02-13-2011, 11:26 PM
I was asked to help make a rice Krispie wedding cake. Is this the next craze? Anyways the bride thought I was crafty and could help. She wants it to be square tiers (which should be the easy part) and just add ribbon and frosting flowers around the bases of the tiers. I have never cake decorated so can anyone offer advice or a website with some tutorials? Even a good book that could walk us through flowers would help. We are going to have a trial day in the next month so I figures I would start researching now.

Thanks!

RubberLady603
02-14-2011, 05:54 AM
Wow, Good luck! Sounds like it would be pretty cool but not easy to make.

Paula Carden
02-14-2011, 06:26 AM
Interesting- a Rice Krispy Cake-can't say I have ever heard of one. Good luck!

Mrs. Fence
02-14-2011, 06:57 AM
I guess I'd check the rice crispy site - you may get some inspiration there! Other than that, I'm no help either. Good luck though, and be sure to post pics so we can see how great it turns out! ('cause I know it will be :))

maxiesmom
02-14-2011, 08:08 AM
Do I need to hook you up with Conny's daughter? Sara has done amazing things with cakes and I'm pretty sure she is self taught. We'll talk.

workin4stamps
02-14-2011, 10:07 AM
When do you have to do this cake??? Can I bring my cake decorating tips to Palooza and we could practice???

Spartymom
02-14-2011, 10:51 AM
I have cake decorating tips too. Check the Wilton website, I know there books tell you how do it. The right cake tip is key.

KarenM
02-14-2011, 01:50 PM
I've seen cakes on TV that had parts made out of rice krispies but not the whole cake. On TV they cover the rice krispies with fondant.

kimmyqtgirl
02-14-2011, 01:57 PM
I think the wedding is mid May, I would love to practice flowers :) I am a little nervous I think she is going to ask me to help with her flowers too! She is buying them in bulk at costco and wants to make her own arrangements. Is she crazy?!?! ha ha ha

Spartymom
02-15-2011, 12:06 PM
SO we could spend a couple hours helping you with decorating! I can make a great buttercream frosting and bring that with cake tips. Let me know and I"ll put on my list.

pesc
02-19-2011, 07:42 PM
The Wilton website (http://www.wilton.com/decorating/browse.cfm?start=17&cat=Fondant-Gum-Paste)is the best. You can make some home made fondant (http://candy.about.com/od/fondantcandyrecipes/r/mm_fondant.htm)and use it to make your flowers... You can die cut them.. I find it feel like scrapbooking :D so you should be just fine with that :) If you put color int he fondant... don't forget to use gloves to mixed them... because you hand will never be the same again like a woman was saying over on the web :)
Good luck with it! the Wilton fondant toolkit that is sold at WalMart is really helping shaping and forming the flowers if you decide to make them in fondant.