PDA

View Full Version : Need your suggestions

inkinupstamps
02-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Ladies, I need your advice, suggestions and thoughts.

I bought my Cuddlebug ages ago. I love it. I use it virually every single day. It has served me well and is probably the best purchase and tool I've ever gotten. So no regrets.

Recently, my poor old Cuddlebug has shown signs of wear and tear. In fact, it has popped apart at the seams on numerous occasions but I've always been able to fix it.

Today, though I see that it is breaking. I can still use it but I know it won't be long before it is unusable and that is where my question for all of you comes in. Do you recommend I get a new cuttlebug or should I get something else.

You may remember that I was the grand prize winner of all of the newly released nestabilities a couple of years ago. Those in addition to all I've purchased means I have a lot of nestibilities so I want something that will continue to use those.

I also would love to purchase some of the larger dies but never have because they are too big for use in the cuttlebug. Is it worth a larger machine when primarily what I'll continue to use are the dies I have now since I have so many?

What do you have? What do you recommend? Are the larger ones far more expensive (obviously I haven't looked into this yet.)

Suggestions please.........

ccstampin12
02-24-2011, 01:42 PM
I, too, love my Cuttlebug.
I think if it were me, I'd look into the electric Sizzix Big Shot or the Tim Holtz Vagabond.
I saw the latter at Stamp Club this week, and some of the things embossed with it.
Makes me drool just thinking about it.....uh oh!
I have the crank version of the Big Shot, but Lesa and another friend have extolled the goodness of the electric one!
Good luck....and SO happy to see you here!
HUGS
Joanie

kimmyqtgirl
02-24-2011, 01:42 PM
A broken CB? That is sad news! What a tough decision you have. I only have a CB and it's the older one. I can see where you may want one of the larger machines for Grand Nesties, I have heard good things about the new spellbinders but that's just from the internet. I think the grand nesties are double the price of the regular ones but with a coupon they would still be affordable. Me personally would have to really be choosy with those and make sure I buy what I would get the most use out of. And I am sure as more places start to carry them they will seem cheaper :).

I can't wait to see what other people suggest. Now I am afraid my CB will someday break and i will be in your place. Good luck!

inkinupstamps
02-24-2011, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the information, Joanie and Kimmy. Hmmm...I need to do some internet research since I didn't realize there was an electric Big Shot. I'm wondering about jamming in an electric one. With hand crank at least you know immediately when you've got too much bulk going through and can stop immediately. I mention this because when I cut chipboard in my cuttlebug, sometimes, depending upon the thickness of the chipboard, I cannot cut it properly and it will get midway through and lock up. I'm just thinking that an electric would continue to try to proceed rather than allowing one to "unclog" the machine. I have no experience with electric though so I am probably talking through my hat! LOL

I also didn't realize that Tim Holtz has a machine. WOW, I really have become a hermit! I gotta get out more.

Keep the suggestions coming! I'm learning new things. I've had my Cuttlebug since they came out...one of the first ones to be sold. Consequently, my knowledge about newer cutters and embossing machines is slim to none!

ccstampin12
02-24-2011, 02:28 PM
I got the idea that the Tim Holtz machine is pretty 'fearless' about what goes through it.
I cannot remember all that the owner brought that she had cut and embossed, but there was chipboard, heavy acrylic, etc.....fabric too, I think.
Joanie

ccstampin12
02-24-2011, 02:29 PM
Also......duh
I know the Sizzix cuts fabrics.
SU! sells dies for quilters that go through the Big Shot.
Joanie

mcourtney
02-24-2011, 02:30 PM
I have the original purple Spellbinders wizard. I beat it to death. The machine still looks new. My plates, however, are looking rather sad. But I've never had a problem with any of it and I've cut all kinds of stuff. I'm leery of anything electric or with plastic moving parts. If my wizard every kicks the bucket, I'll probably get the Grand Caliper.

inkinupstamps
02-24-2011, 03:23 PM
I'm going to start a list here of suggestions so I can keep track. I'm afraid to admit that I was not aware that there were so many new ones. YIKES!

Cuttlebug
Sizzix Big Shot
Tim Holtz Vagabond
Spellbinders Wizard
Grand Caliber

Am I missing any to look into?

directmailscrapper
02-24-2011, 04:45 PM
I have a Cuttlebug and love it. RIght before Christmas, I got an e-mail with an unbelieveable offer for the Grand Caliber. I jumped at it and bought it. Now I feel guilty because I didn't really need it, so it's still in the box! LOL! So, understanding that I have no personal experience with the machine, I'd be inclined to go with the Grand Caliber -- especially for YOU with all of the Nesties. It was MADE for them -- plus you can now use the bigger dies... I've never used a big shot (except at a friend's house a time or two -- seems just like a CB but black...)

Paula Carden
02-24-2011, 08:00 PM
I have the Big Shot hand crank. I had a cuttlebug but it feel a part with a few uses. I would probably look into the grand caliper if I were replacing mine. The big shot works great-cuts, embosses etc.. very verstile. I am interested in some of the large embossing folders and the new large dies. But I don't think I will get it until the Big Shot bites the dust. Because this year I bought the larger Cricut and still have the Cricut personal so I don't have much room left. I had the old sizzix press for many years-it worked well but broke.

jazzypurple853
02-24-2011, 08:39 PM
I have the cuttlebug, and the Big Kick made by sizzix. I bought the Big Kick to replace the red sizzix machine, because the newer sizzix dies - Bigz wouldn't fit in the old machine.

I found a link at splitcoaststampers, talking about the Grand Caliber and the Big Shot Pro

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-f128/grand-caliber-vs-big-shot-pro-t519964.html

jazzypurple853
02-24-2011, 08:44 PM
I found another link at splitcoaststampers regarding the grand caliber

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-f128/grand-calibur-t515211.html

mahodgman
02-24-2011, 09:57 PM
I'd recommend the Big Shot without any reservations! I love mine, and I use it all the time. I think it is sturdier than the CB ever was. And right is a great time to buy one from your local Stampin' Up! demonstrator because it is sale-a-bration, and that means lots of great freebies. I don't know the Canadian numbers, but in the US the Big Shot is $99 which is just one dollar shy of two free sale-a-bration stamp sets of your choice. And then if you add on another $50 in dies or other merchandise you would qualify for hostess benefits which is more free stuff. It is totally worth checking out.

milmogando
02-24-2011, 10:52 PM
hand crank bigshot! truely wonderful...is in fact lighter than a cuttlebug and much 'sturdier' feeling to use. i'm sure we all have our opinions on this one though!

agonzale
02-25-2011, 02:18 PM
I have used the Tim Holtz Vagabond at a friend's house....VERY heavy duty...I think you could put ANYthing in it and it would stand the test. So, if you're looking for durability, I'd say go for that. I love my Sizzix Big Shot....have had a Cuttlebug and Cricut at different times, and given them away, cause my Sizzix is my favorite. And just a word of warning. I had an ELECTRIC Big Shot, and the motor burnt out on it twice, and I had to pay good money to replace each time. Another stamping friend of mine had the same problem with hers. So, I would maybe just be aware of that. I ended up giving it away and sticking with the hand crank one, and the lady I gave it to has had to replace the motor again herself. It seems to last about 6-8 months. Just a caution...maybe it is just some of them, but it's too expensive to risk for me again. The hand crank is not at all hard and does the job.

inkinupstamps
02-25-2011, 02:31 PM
I have used the Tim Holtz Vagabond at a friend's house....VERY heavy duty...I think you could put ANYthing in it and it would stand the test. So, if you're looking for durability, I'd say go for that. I love my Sizzix Big Shot....have had a Cuttlebug and Cricut at different times, and given them away, cause my Sizzix is my favorite. And just a word of warning. I had an ELECTRIC Big Shot, and the motor burnt out on it twice, and I had to pay good money to replace each time. Another stamping friend of mine had the same problem with hers. So, I would maybe just be aware of that. I ended up giving it away and sticking with the hand crank one, and the lady I gave it to has had to replace the motor again herself. It seems to last about 6-8 months. Just a caution...maybe it is just some of them, but it's too expensive to risk for me again. The hand crank is not at all hard and does the job.

Thank you for the advice. It is something I wondered about with an electric and I think your experience has made up my mind for me that there are others out there that are more durable and I'll avoid the electric.

Thank you EVERYONE for your tips, experiences and advice. I love(d) my Cuddlebug and never had a complaint, but now since it is slowing meeting its end, I've learned a lot about what's new, what's out there, as well as the tried and true. I haven't made up my mind yet, but all of your comments have helped me with insight on the various models. I think I'm leaning toward the Grand Caliber, but I'll have to save my pennies before I can make the plunge. As I've said, I haven't made up my mind for sure so I'll be open to further discussion and suggestions.

ccstampin12
02-25-2011, 05:54 PM
I hadn't thought about the fact that Tim Holtz's Vagabond is also from Sizzix.
It makes sense since he has had Sizzix dies out for a year or so, but I never thought about it until I saw an ad in a magazine I got today.
That is electric, but I have a feeling the motor is more heavy duty than the regular electric Big Shot.
Joanie