PDA

View Full Version : Anyone doing any summer reading?

jazzypurple853
05-21-2011, 05:01 PM
Anyone have plans for summer reads?

loobylou
05-21-2011, 07:20 PM
My summer read was "The Book Theif"- I found it very heavy going, not really light enough for summer!

Mrs. Fence
05-21-2011, 07:21 PM
I just picked up a few Nora Roberts novels from the used book bin at the grocery store. I don't have anything specific I want to read, I guess. Just reading whatever I find cheap!

cindi
05-21-2011, 07:42 PM
oohh..Nora Roberts is my fave!!! I have a few books left to read from last years yard sale finds..good thing it's yard sale season again..and I pick up books from teh same Bin tracey was talking about.
:)

jazzypurple853
05-21-2011, 07:56 PM
What Nora Roberts book would you recommend?

Mrs. Fence
05-21-2011, 08:21 PM

All of them! LOL

jazzypurple853
05-21-2011, 08:32 PM
I've read some of luanne rice's books, also debbie macomber. I think that is how you spell their names.

Mrs. Fence
05-21-2011, 08:39 PM
I've read some of luanne rice's books, also debbie macomber. I think that is how you spell their names.

I don't know if I have read their books. I have heard of them. I may have read a debbie macomber, but can't remember which one.

cindi
05-21-2011, 08:52 PM

any and all of them..never read one I haven't liked
:)

tojoco
05-21-2011, 11:10 PM
I'm reading "Such a Pretty Face" by Cathy Lamb. So far, so good.

ngreek
05-22-2011, 02:25 AM
I don't know if I have read their books. I have heard of them. I may have read a debbie macomber, but can't remember which one.

I enjoy Debbie Maccomber. She has a few different series and then some light reads. She is a writer from here in Washington State. Her series the Cedar Cove series is supposed to be Port Orchard,WA.

I plan on reading the new Debbie MacComber... and in JUne the new Stephanie Plum book comes out by Janet Evonovich..

milmogando
05-22-2011, 05:03 AM
I'm reading women, food and god. It's really good. I think mindfulness has a lot going for it...but that's a whole other thread lol

Patty
05-22-2011, 09:47 AM
Funny you should ask this question right now. I went to the library just yesterday. I am now reading a Stephen King book...THE STAND. I just finished THE FIRE STARTER. I am amazed at how his mind works. I once took a creative writing class and one of our assignments was to read a short autobiography of S.K. I've heard that this book I started yesterday is his best. I hope that's right. Any Shackies out there that are King fans???

MidwestStamper
05-22-2011, 01:33 PM
My son Daniel is a big Stephen King fan! I just bought him the whole Dark Tower series when our local BORDERS Book Store was going out of business! I don't quite care for the horror genre, but I've heard he's a great writer!

I may just not get much of anything done this summer--since I have SO MUCH reading that I want to get done! I too bought books when this bookstore closed--and I have about 8 books that I'm waiting for from the Library--AND I just got a KINDLE for Mother's Day, so I've been downloading books for FREE or .99 cents--so far I think I've downloaded about 3 dozen!!

I just got done with a good one called THE CENTER OF EVERYTHING--a cute and interesting 'first person' story of a girl growing up in Kansas. Before that I just read a couple wonderful Young Adult Fiction books: DIVERGENT AND DILERIUM--both set in futuristic societies. Now I'm reading PORTAL--a Sci-Fi book about two alternate universes existing next to each other, and which one does the heroine really belong in?

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to read!!

Spartymom
05-22-2011, 03:23 PM
I just finished 'the Help'. It was a good book and a movie will be out soon.

tojoco
05-22-2011, 06:54 PM
I just finished 'the Help'. It was a good book and a movie will be out soon.

Kim, I read The Help too and thought it was good. Anxiously awaiting the movie. Saw some previews and whoever did the casting did am awesome job.

Mrs. Fence
05-23-2011, 07:55 AM
Funny you should ask this question right now. I went to the library just yesterday. I am now reading a Stephen King book...THE STAND. I just finished THE FIRE STARTER. I am amazed at how his mind works. I once took a creative writing class and one of our assignments was to read a short autobiography of S.K. I've heard that this book I started yesterday is his best. I hope that's right. Any Shackies out there that are King fans???

You want Cindi and I to bring you a pic of his house? He lives right here in Bangor. Hubby's fence company repaired his gate and fence this spring when someone drove into it with a car. Here is a pic of the gate we repaired:

Mrs. Fence
05-23-2011, 08:00 AM
Sorry, Patty. I have tried for 15 minutes to upload a pic for you and the site is not letting me add one.

Lori
05-23-2011, 08:07 AM
Love Stephen King! I've read The Stand so many times! My favorite all time King book is Salem's Lot. Love a good vampire story!

I bought a book at the Dollar store saturday called Rhett Butler's People. Not sure who wrote it. But I love Gone With the Wind, so I thought I'd try it.

midnitecreations
05-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Ooh, Tracey, I'd love to get a pic. My DS is such a huge fan of Stephen King. He's got allll his books! I unfortunately get too scared when I see his movies, so haven't even ventured to open his books. :eek:

jazzypurple853
05-23-2011, 09:54 AM
Ooh, Tracey, I'd love to get a pic. My DS is such a huge fan of Stephen King. He's got allll his books! I unfortunately get too scared when I see his movies, so haven't even ventured to open his books. :eek:

I am the same way. I've seen his movies. They've scared the crap out of me! I have never read his books.

HeatherJ
05-23-2011, 12:00 PM
I will be loading up my e-reader once summer starts for me! (We have school until June 30th!!) I am sneaking in 3 Willows right now, by the author of the Travelling pants series. I just finished my first James Patterson novel, Step on a Crack. It was good, a quick read, for sure. I have a few Debbie McComber ones in the queue at the electronic Library so hopefully they will kick in, in time and not during report card writing time!
I do want to read House Rules by Jodi Picoult, I was told it was a great read.

loobylou
05-24-2011, 03:41 AM
I do want to read House Rules by Jodi Picoult, I was told it was a great read

Heather, I really enjoyed House Rules. Interesting main character is a teen on the Autism Spectrum.

Patty
05-24-2011, 10:49 AM
You want Cindi and I to bring you a pic of his house? He lives right here in Bangor. Hubby's fence company repaired his gate and fence this spring when someone drove into it with a car. Here is a pic of the gate we repaired:
YES YES YES!!! Thank you Tracey, I would love to see it.

ccstampin12
05-24-2011, 12:03 PM
I am a huge Debbie Macomber fan...just finished the 10th Cedar Cove book on the plane yesterday. Started her 'Hannah's List' and got into it about 60 pages....Love it.
I have 'The Help', 'Water for Elephants', and a BUNCH of others waiting to be read.
I started the 2nd book in the Twilight series, but kind of put it down and never went back.
Michael Sparks,,,is that his name?
Sue Grafton....all of her ABC books are great. I have a couple waiting to be read.
The list goes on.
Joanie

inkinupstamps
05-25-2011, 12:45 PM
I've loaded up my e-reader as well as stacks of hardback books and I'm enjoying my way through them. Some that I've finished and thoroughly enjoyed and recommend are:

The Midwife's Confession, by Diane Chamberlain is an "I cannot put it down until the last page is turned" type of book. Loved it and if you read it do not think you've figured it out until you turn the last page because it is full of twists and turns.

The Kitchen House, by Kathleen Grissom. WONDERFUL story. Another book I thoroughly enjoyed

Two Dog books that I loved!! are: A Dog's Purpose, by W. Bruce Cameron and also The Art of Racing in the Rain, by Garth Stein. BOTH are fabulous. I did enjoy Marley and Me but A Dog's Purpose and The Art of Racing in the Rain are told through the dog's mind and not so much as the owner's (author's) mind. These are two of the best "dog" books I"ve ever read and much better (I thought) than Marley and Me.

For lighter but fun reading I've thoroughly enjoyed all of Donna Ball's "Ladybug Farm Series." Really entertaining and nice stories. There are three books in the series.

In the same genre of women's friendships and more light reading and good stories are all of Marie Bostwick's "Thread" books. There are three out currently and the 4th in the series is supposed to come out next week. She's also in the middle of the outline for the 5th in the series so if you enjoy reading books in series you may enjoy hers.

I'm currently reading Letters from Home, by Kristina McMorris and it is excellent! I feel certain it will go on my four or five star list.

On my e-reader I'm reading Letter to My Daughter, by George Bishop. It will be a quick read and has gotten a lot of good reviews.

CharityHand
05-25-2011, 03:49 PM
In honor of the 150th anniversary of the Civil War, I'm reading John Jakes this summer. I finished North and South, now I'm midway through Love and War. I hope to finish Heaven and Hell by the end of June. Then I'd like to move on to Gone with the Wind and The Wind Done Gone. I have all of these old books waiting for me on my shelves! Can't wait to get into them.

KarenM
05-25-2011, 04:32 PM
I read the Art of Racing in the Rain and I really enjoyed it too. I loved reading about humans and our actions from the dog's point of view! I also love Alexander McCall-Smith's Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency and just finished the latest in the series.

dazzler
06-07-2011, 06:39 PM
If you are a mystery reader, I would recommend "Intervention" and "Vicious Cycle" by Terri Blackstock. We read both in my book club and everybody raved about them. Personally, I could not put them down they were so good. The first is about a meth-addicted daughter and she goes missing on the way to rehab. The second is a sequel in which the brother tries to help a meth-addicted girl from his sister's rehab and he gets himself into a whirlwind of trouble with child-trafficking. Ooohh... so good!!

67Cats
06-20-2011, 09:56 PM
I am currently reading A Storm of Swords from the Fire & Ice series by George R R Martin
HBO [ A Game of Thrones ] it's the 3rd book in the series - the 5th comes out in July this year.
Then after that I am going to read the Harry Potter series [ I have seen the movies but never read the books ]
I have a couple of other ones to read - Pride, Predjuice and Zombies. Then the next book in the Clan of the Cave Bear series.
I work as a Teleworker for a Big insurance company till 1100 pm ETZ. I am an inbound only Call center. After 800 pm we get very little calls, but I have to remain @ my computer and stay on my headset. So it's the perfect opportunity to read, and read, and come to the web site...

67Cats
06-20-2011, 09:56 PM
I read the Art of Racing in the Rain and I really enjoyed it too. I loved reading about humans and our actions from the dog's point of view! I also love Alexander McCall-Smith's Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency and just finished the latest in the series.

I LOVE Terri Blackstock, read the books about the little island off of Savana, GA...

dazzler
06-22-2011, 05:15 PM
Another GREAT book series is called "Sisters, Ink" by Rebeca Seitz. They are by a Christian author and there is some faith mixed into the story line. It is a 4 book series about 4 sisters who scrapbook together for friendship and therapy. I like it because they mention companies and products and you know exactly what they are talking about. Crafty and clever!

67Cats
06-22-2011, 09:18 PM
The Dark Tower isn't his normal theme - it's more Fanatsy; Knights.
I think he wrote the series for his daughter...
It was Long time ago that I read them - I liked them better than some of his later Horror books.
The last Stephen King I read was IT. I was SO dissapointed with the ending after being SO Scared reading it
I gave him up as someone to read.

67Cats
06-22-2011, 09:19 PM
I read Water for Elephants and thought it was Very good.
I think I'd like to read The Help.

67Cats
06-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Another GREAT book series is called "Sisters, Ink" by Rebeca Seitz. They are by a Christian author and there is some faith mixed into the story line. It is a 4 book series about 4 sisters who scrapbook together for friendship and therapy. I like it because they mention companies and products and you know exactly what they are talking about. Crafty and clever!

WOW, that REALLY sounds up my alley!

limeyscrapper
06-22-2011, 10:21 PM
I love reading, and have a whole pile of books that I plan to read this summer.
I just finished "Room" by Emma Donoghue - wow, what a story - I couldn't stop reading it!
And I also read, "Keeping Faith", and "House Rules" by Jodi Picoult.

Leggybits
06-25-2011, 01:18 AM
Well its winter here - so lots of reading tucked up in front of the fire with a puss on my knee.
Currently reading a couple of crime/mystery type by english authors. Nora Roberts The Fire Jumper
is next on my list. Then its the 6 I picked up from the library yesterday. I also occasionally listen
to audio books while I'm crafting or mucking about on the computer

Stetler
07-07-2011, 12:00 AM
I just got my order from Crossings book club,"A Time to Heal" and "A Time to Love".They are Amish romance books.