PDA

View Full Version : There was a tornado in Springfield just now!

ccstampin12
06-01-2011, 05:52 PM
I have no idea how much damage was done!
I just hope everyone in western Massachusetts is OK!
What about our motel?
What about the Big E?
I have no more information!
Maybe some western MA girls will be able to find out.
Fingers are crossed we'll still be able to go!
Joanie

Christie
06-01-2011, 05:54 PM
they said it hit downtown...

HeatherJ
06-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Oh my, that isn't usually tornado territory, is it? I don't think of Mass as being in the "zone"

ccstampin12
06-01-2011, 06:18 PM
No, Heather...it's very unusual!
They are now saying ANOTHER tornado is heading for the same area, but not as strong as the first one.
This is way too awful.....just when you think your area is safe from such things, look what happens!
Joanie

Darleneh710
06-01-2011, 07:00 PM
I agree, Joanie, I've been watching the news since 3pm today and it is awful to see the houses in Springfield and western Mass and all the damage there...I keep watching and where I live (near Fitchburg/Leominster) it seems there might be another storm heading here..I hope not though..it is very scary as like you said before we are not used to such things in our area. I was hoping the tornado would weaken instead of get stronger..which it has done..I'm saying prayers for everyone involved in this mess.

Cynthiayb5
06-01-2011, 07:34 PM
No no not Springfield!!!

Paula Carden
06-01-2011, 07:52 PM
Stay safe! I heard it on the news this evening and was very surprised too.

Darleneh710
06-01-2011, 08:18 PM
The tornado was just in my town a little bit ago.we were all down the basement watching the news and then lost the tv and then it passed or so we hope it has passed..they mentioned all towns surrounding us including my town of Townsend, but it is just thundering now so I am hoping that it is done. I feel bad for western Mass as they keep getting hit with tornados and everything. I just hope that this tornado weakens and dies quickly so there is no more damage. I think I heard there was one fatality.

ccstampin12
06-01-2011, 08:24 PM
I just got home from zumba and it is saying it was in West Springfield....that's where the Big E is.
I fear the convention might not be happening, girls.
I just guess if that happens, we were meant to save our money!
Not that I wanted to!
I'm going to check the heirloom pro site to see if there is anything there yet.
joanie

RubberLady603
06-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Joanie, At the website they say they think the show will go on but says to check for updates on their facebook page. Did anyone call the hotel yet?

ccstampin12
06-01-2011, 08:29 PM
In the Heirloom Productions site, the people in Oregon are probably the planners. They have not been able to get in touch with anyone at the Big E. They are flying to MA tomorrow anyway with the plan that the convention will go on. We shall see....I'm thinking they haven't seen the pictures of the damage.
It would be nice if it could still take place, but we also need to be sure the motel is OK!
WOW!
This is bad.
Joanie

RubberLady603
06-01-2011, 08:35 PM
On hold at hotel now....will let you know in a minute

RubberLady603
06-01-2011, 08:37 PM
The hotel is fine however she said she thinks the storm went right through the Big E. Can't get a hold of them as it is after hours right now.

Darleneh710
06-01-2011, 08:45 PM
4 deaths confirmed. So sad...

RubberLady603
06-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Oh no! That's awful Darlene!! The report that I saw earlier said only injuries.....so sad!

ccstampin12
06-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Oh, dear!
I heard one death. So tragic....the whole country is falling victim to the strange weather!
Joanie

cindi
06-01-2011, 10:24 PM
wow ladies!! thsi is not good!! I hope we are still on..I have been so looking forward to this. If you remember last year there was a tornado while we were at teh convention!..lets hope we are still on & that we can get there. My heart goes to the people there.

ccstampin12
06-02-2011, 06:20 AM
I just checked the Heirloom Pro site this morning and someone from the Big E said there was no damage in the fairgrounds.
So, I'm guessing the show will go on....providing there is electricity and water.
Should I pack my suitcase?????
Joanie

Lori
06-02-2011, 06:25 AM
I am going to talk to dh tonight....I had a ton of overtime, a search and rescue, and I might sneak down to see you guys!!!

RubberLady603
06-02-2011, 06:31 AM
Oh Lori! I so hope you can sneak down for a visit! You need a little fun after all the stuff you have been dealing with!

RubberLady603
06-02-2011, 06:33 AM
I just checked the Heirloom Pro site this morning and someone from the Big E said there was no damage in the fairgrounds.
So, I'm guessing the show will go on....providing there is electricity and water.
Should I pack my suitcase?????
Joanie

I'm going to pack.......I called the Hotel and they said everything is fine there too.

Lori
06-02-2011, 08:03 AM
The tornado actually formed over the river then moved down the river aways, then headed in the opposite direction of the fairgrounds. Not sure where the hotel is, but if its on the same side as the fairgrounds, I think all is good.

Lori
06-02-2011, 08:05 AM
Waiting for the guy for my paycheck...If its as good as I think it should be, dh won't mind!

ccstampin12
06-02-2011, 08:25 AM
Lori,
It will be so good to see you!
Joanie

MidwestStamper
06-02-2011, 08:56 AM
How frightening to hear about the damage of these tornadoes! I didn't watch TV at all last night, so I was unaware until my DH got on the computer at around 10:30 pm and he always checks news updates so he told me about it. We are still cleaning up from our huge tornado that went through North Minneapolis a few weeks ago. Sometimes it takes a long time to clear all the debris away so that people can even get to the damaged homes!

I didn't even realize that you East Coast gals were planning a get-together! Hope it can all happen yet and that you'll have a fun time! When were you going to meet?

iloveflipflops
06-02-2011, 09:05 AM
I just wanted to pop in and say have fun without me. Boo hoooo. I would much rather be there than spraying perfume this weekend!! Send me pics on my cell phone so I can see what i am missing!! LOL

Lori
06-02-2011, 09:09 AM
Still waiting......

Wish I had taken a picture of the creepy yellow sky we had here. I've only ever seen that out west, once in York, NE and once in Colorado, after tornados. Grandmonster was twitchy about the color of the sky!!!

RubberLady603
06-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Our sky here was all greenish. We had wind and one little maple tree down and branches full of leaves all over the yard but thankfully no real damage! We just aren't prepared for tornadoes around here. We can deal with a 4 ft snowstorm with ease but all that other stuff is just crazy!

RubberLady603
06-02-2011, 09:26 AM
How frightening to hear about the damage of these tornadoes! I didn't watch TV at all last night, so I was unaware until my DH got on the computer at around 10:30 pm and he always checks news updates so he told me about it. We are still cleaning up from our huge tornado that went through North Minneapolis a few weeks ago. Sometimes it takes a long time to clear all the debris away so that people can even get to the damaged homes!

I didn't even realize that you East Coast gals were planning a get-together! Hope it can all happen yet and that you'll have a fun time! When were you going to meet?
We should all be meeting late Friday afternoon and Lori WILL be there Saturday. (Lori, notice I said will, not might! LOL!)

cindi
06-02-2011, 09:32 AM
we were under tornado watch all day yesterday..scary..I don't even have a cellar! I am going on the assumption we are still on..and am packing today. I Told Tracey that I took time off work, our hotel is paid..we are going on a road trip anyways!! lol
can't wait to see everyone..don't forget your Micheals coupons! we are leaving at 8 am..see you soon..that means you too Lori!
:)

RubberLady603
06-02-2011, 09:38 AM
I'm leaving around 8 too! can't wait to see everybody!

ccstampin12
06-02-2011, 10:05 AM
Lesa and I will probably leave shortly before noon, so we'll arrive mid-afternoon.
I need to know for sure if routes to and from every place we need to see are open and can be traveled on.
Has anyone found that out?
Joanie

cindi
06-02-2011, 10:24 AM
Lesa and I will probably leave shortly before noon, so we'll arrive mid-afternoon.
I need to know for sure if routes to and from every place we need to see are open and can be traveled on.
Has anyone found that out?
Joanie

no..how does one find out that info??

ccstampin12
06-02-2011, 10:25 AM
The Big E site says the shows this weekend will take place as planned!!!!!
I'll call the hotel to be sure travel is happening in the area.
Joanie

RubberLady603
06-02-2011, 10:29 AM
I was wondering too if we could get from the motel to the show..........
Lori, are you still on? Pming you......

cindi
06-02-2011, 10:38 AM
I have to go out, I'll check back here later. hopefully all is ok

ccstampin12
06-02-2011, 10:49 AM
I called the hotel and she said the blocked streets are all side streets and should be cleared by tomorrow anyway.
She didn't anticipate any problems for us.
I also called Michaels and she said all is OK there too, and she figured we would be able to get there from the hotel.
Guess it's a GO, girls!
YAY!
I must say, I do feel a bit guilty to be worrying about fun when so many are struggling with so much loss.
HUGS and see you tomorrow!
Joanie

RubberLady603
06-02-2011, 11:05 AM
My mom just called and said that she won't be going. She just doesn't want to go to that area at all. I'm kind of on the fence now..........I think I'm still coming but now it's a really long drive....

ccstampin12
06-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Oh, no, Dee!
I hope you will still come!
Joanie

Darleneh710
06-02-2011, 11:18 AM
I only have one thing to say. I am very hurt and insulted that many of you are only concerned about the show and not about the many ppl in western mass who have lost their homes and some who have lost their lives. When I first saw the post yesterday I really thought it would have been more about the devastation of ppl losing their homes and all the damage and I was very disappointed that all anyone cared about was this crafting show. This is my state, my home and when there are disasters in other parts of the country/world everyone seems to be sad and supportive for those ppl but I did not find that here and it is very sad that you can only think about something fun when many people don't know where they will be living or sleeping.

ccstampin12
06-02-2011, 11:22 AM
I know, Darlene. I do feel guilty about planning fun when so many are feeling pain and loss.
I think I stated that earlier.
Joanie

RubberLady603
06-02-2011, 11:27 AM
That's the part I'm having a hard time with. So devastating for everyone there who is going through all that. 1/2 of me still very much wants to go and 1/2 of me feels guilty about wanting to have fun amongst those that are really hurting right now.

MidwestStamper
06-02-2011, 12:56 PM
I don't know anything about what this Convention is--but I'm wondering if they won't organize some type of way to help the local Tornado victims--either by providing a way to donate money, or even to take part of the weekend to volunteer in some way that's needed.

So many people from all walks of life have chipped in time and money to help with the devastation here in Minnesota, as I'm sure has happened in Joplin, MO and now in MA

Lori
06-02-2011, 01:34 PM
I PM'd you Dee!!!!! Trying to get dh on the phone now.....

cindi
06-02-2011, 02:58 PM
Oh Dee, you Must come!!!! Darlene I have expressed that my heart goes out to teh people there, and I meant it. On the other hand I have time & money invested in this trip and yes, selfish as it may sound I am looking forward to going and enjoying myself. I had to take my days at work this week off for this, I look forward to it all year. I am very grateful that all my shackies are safe .

tattoolesa
06-02-2011, 06:08 PM
I have been on the fence about going there ......mixed emotions for sure.....but i have decided to go. Mass is my state too and I do not need to prove to anyone where my heart is. Peace out ladies. Xxoo

HeatherJ
06-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Here is is a picture of the thunder and lightening storm we had here (Nova Scotia) last night, as a result of that tornado. There were 9000 strikes last night. We faired well in comparison, that is for sure.