PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone can their own veggies?

midnitecreations
06-12-2011, 07:41 PM
This summer I planted a few veggies in my garden. Unlike last year, I might actually get a few tomatoes that the deer didn't eat! So, I was wondering if anyone cans their veggies and any basic sauces that they also can? With the prices of groceries out there, I wish I'd learned more from my grandma!

Lori
06-12-2011, 08:12 PM
I use to can tomatoes all the time. Haven't had a big garden since I came to Vermont. Tomatoes are easy. THe companies that make canning jars always have great recipes for sauces. Salsa is another easy one to can.

cindi
06-12-2011, 09:16 PM
I freeze mine, mom taught me that easy trick
:)

Patty
06-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Good Grief NO!!! Once Ellie and I made pickles...my father gave us a BIG burlap bag of cukes and we began early in the am. Near midnight, and many trips for the dh's to the store for more jars, we had a lifetime supply of bread and butter pickles..First and last try. We now share a new respect for Heinz!!!!!

Christie
06-12-2011, 09:39 PM
I can jalapenos and salsa. I am working on salsa tomorrow!!! It's really not all that hard

midnitecreations
06-12-2011, 09:41 PM
ok, gals, please share some tricks here. For those canning or Cindi, freezing, what equipment do I need?

Christie
06-12-2011, 09:47 PM
for my jalapenos i cut them into slices like the kind you eat on nacho's. then i add them to a pot of equal parts of boiling vinegar and water. Boil for 10 minutes then ladle into warm mason jars and place lid on top. Turn upside down on counter for 1 hour to seal.
here is the recipe i use for salsa: http://bryantfamilynews.blogspot.com/2009/06/homemade-salsa.html i'm sure you can probably use the upside down method for this too but i haven't ever done it with salsa.

midnitecreations
06-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Wow, Christie, that sounds way easier than it should. I always thought you needed a canning pot or pressure cooker of some kind, lots of special perservatives and that kind of stuff. How long does your canned goods last?

Christie
06-12-2011, 10:21 PM
nope, as long as you seal the jar you are good to go.the heat is what seals it so if you have warm jars and warm contents and turn it upside down the heat seals it. now if you are going to enter a competition you aren't allowed to use that method for some reason. i still have jalapeno's that i canned last year and they are still good. as long as your seal isn't broken they should last you for a while. i've done jam as well and used the upside down method and it worked great. the test to seal a jar is the the same when you open a jar and the little thing in the middle pops up. if you press on the middle of the lid of your mason jar there should be no popping and that means your jar is sealed.

GSMom385
06-12-2011, 11:11 PM
I do pickles every year (not the difficult bread and butter mentioned above but just plain old dill, super easy), and used to do salsa but haven't for awhile because my store has a fresh kind they make now that is only $3.00 for a pint and I would spend more than that on the tomatoes since I don't have a garden. I get my cukes at the farmers market at the fair grounds. I use what the call the water bath method. The directions were in my water bath caner I purchased. Roughly $30 at that w place. But honestly any large pot that you can put boiling water in would probably work but the nice thing with caner was it comes with a rack to pull the jars out when they are hot. I have also made jelly and canned, and hot fudge. I typically try to use it all within the year and if I have it left at the end (when I am getting ready to make a new batch) I normally give some to friends to use it up. Here is a great website I have used in the past too. http://www.freshpreserving.com/pages/learn_to_can/328.php

For easy pickles and/or salsa, I really like the Mrs. Wages mixes. They come with all the spices already mixed for you and instructions on the back for how much vinegar etc. you need. I even make frig pickles with the Mrs Wages, and don't can them but they only last 2-3 weeks in the frig fresh like that. But the way my kiddos eat pickles they are normally gone very quickly.

Paula Carden
06-13-2011, 06:08 AM
I know nooooothing about canning and very little about freezing-use to make strawberry freezer jam.

stampinmom3
06-13-2011, 06:44 AM
I don't have time right now to read everyones response so I apologize if this has already been said...Get yourself a copy of Balls Blue book of canning. You can't beat this book. A lot of wonderful info on how to can as well as recipes for ALOT of different veggies/fruits etc. I usually can peaches, tomatoes, sometimes salsa, and spaghetti sauce. Yum! You may not find it is cheaper than the grocery store to be honest, but so much healthier without the added stuff they put in. It is awesome opening a can of freshly canned fruit or veggies in the middle of the winter. Enjoy.

inkinupstamps
06-13-2011, 07:22 AM
I do TONS of canning and freezing (and drying too) every summer. This year I have my largest garden ever and it promises to be prolific with produce! Looking forward to canning later this summer.

midnitecreations
06-13-2011, 08:17 AM
Thanks Kim. I'll look this book up. I agree, it might be cheaper to buy some premade stuff, but I want to learn how to do this and also, as you say, it's a lot healthier.

midnitecreations
06-13-2011, 08:18 AM
I do TONS of canning and freezing (and drying too) every summer. This year I have my largest garden ever and it promises to be prolific with produce! Looking forward to canning later this summer.

I saw your blog last summer when you'd posted canning pics. You were my inspiration for wanting to can last year, but the deer didn't leave me much tomatoes! Hoping for a different outcome this year.

inkinupstamps
07-24-2011, 08:11 AM
Renu, I still will send you some of my favorite recipes for canning various products, but in the meantime, and since the summer harvest is upon us, here is an excellent site to learn everything from equipment needed, when to use a hot bath method and when to use a pressure method, and lots of wonderful recipes. You can find this information and so much more at: http://www.easytocan.com

This is Ball canning's site and I love it.

As someone else mentioned, your best information will come in the books made available by the specific canning sites. For those new to canning who live in countries other than the U.S. you'll find the same information as well as it being written in your own measuring terms in the book that comes with your countries canning and preserving jars and products. Here in Canada BerNARdin is the big canning company.

Anyway, check out http://www.easytocan.com and stroll around the site.

midnitecreations
07-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Thank you Jennifer. I'll check them out. The new spot we planted this year is working out really well for me. The deer aren't eating any of my veggies and so far the squirrels have stayed away too! I'm definitely hoping for some veggies to can.

67Cats
07-24-2011, 01:57 PM
My X MIL canned all the time.
I would say salasa and Itl basic would be a good start.
The was a Ball Canning coupon in the paper the last week or two.
I just mailed it yesterday to my MIL
I know Mason Jar and Ball Jar have canning books.

I've never canned myself.
Good luck

midnitecreations
07-24-2011, 05:02 PM
Thanks, I'll get one of those ball canning books and hopefully have some veggies left over to can. Seems like no matter how many tomatoes we get, we end up eating them all!