PDA

View Full Version : I have a job interview today at 9 am! (UPDATE AFTER 2nd INTERVIEW)

iloveflipflops
06-17-2011, 06:47 AM
My friend Teresa called yesterday saying they had a job opening in their Salisbury office. Its for Home Instead Senior Care.

http://www.homeinstead.com/Pages/home.aspx

Its full time 9-5 Mon - Fri with an occassional weekend shift. Its for a Recruitment Coordinator and I would keep track of about 50 caregivers, make sure they have their TB shots current, their records up to date, etc. I would go with the caregivers to the families who need someone for the first time and introduce them to each other. It sounds PERFECT for me but I am really nervous. I love the perfume job but its part time and I really need something full time. Over the holidays I could still do the perfume thing on the weekends. They have an office in Concord which is 4 miles from my house but they need someone in Salisbury which is 20 miles away. Not bad but I do wish it was in Concord. The Salisbury office has alot of young women working up there. They all have small kids and are constantly calling in sick so she says they want someone with "maturity" (is this a compliment?). LOL I have no idea what it pays so I hope it compares to the perfume job since that pay is EXCELLENT :).

So wish me luck with that. I work today at Belks from 11-6 so its going to be a long day.

Lori
06-17-2011, 06:51 AM
Good luck on your interveiw!!

cindi
06-17-2011, 07:15 AM
good luck, Sherri..keep us updated
:)

tojoco
06-17-2011, 07:55 AM
My fingers and toes are crossed for you. Good luck!

suzi_f
06-17-2011, 08:14 AM
Good luck, you'll do WONDERFUL!!!!

jazzypurple853
06-17-2011, 08:21 AM
Wishing you the best of luck!

mahodgman
06-17-2011, 08:45 AM
Thinkng positive thoughts for you, good luck!

CharityHand
06-17-2011, 09:01 AM
Good luck! :)

RubberLady603
06-17-2011, 09:05 AM
Fingers crossed! Good luck!!!!! Sounds like a really awesome job!

Christie
06-17-2011, 09:43 AM
May God bless you in your interview and if it's the right job for you you will get it!!! Let us know how it goes!

shadoob
06-17-2011, 09:48 AM
Go, Sherri, Go!! Go, Sherri, GO!! Knock em dead ..well, maybe not dead, then your chances of an actual job would be limited to prison options...so, wow them with your incredibleness!!!

maxiesmom
06-17-2011, 10:34 AM
I know you've already had the interview by now, hope it went well. Looking for ward to hearing about it later tonight.

shuggy
06-17-2011, 10:52 AM
how did it go??

i'm sure you did fantastic!

Christie
06-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Come on Sherri, don't keep us waiting!!!

midnitecreations
06-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Wishing you the best Sherri. Hope your interview went great and sending lots of good vibes for either a second stage interview or the job itself!!

tojoco
06-17-2011, 03:51 PM
Hope you're selling lots of perfume at Belks today. Can't wait until you get home and tell us how your interview went.

mydogstinks2
06-17-2011, 05:38 PM
are you home from work yet??? How was the interview??

cindi
06-17-2011, 06:46 PM
yoo hoo, Sherri, come tell us how it went
:)

RubberLady603
06-17-2011, 07:56 PM
We're waaaaiting.............

iloveflipflops
06-18-2011, 06:42 AM
Didn't mean to keep you all hanging yesterday. I was SWAMPED at Belks and have sold $625 perfume/men's cologne this week so i have done better than I did at Mothers Day!!

The interview lasted about 30 min. I would recruit caregivers from the community. Meaning I have to find them, interview them, check their backgrounds, hire them, fire them if they aren't doing a good job, and also give them a one week training session before they are allowed to "become a caregiver to a family". Salisbury has about 40 caregivers right now but they would like to hire 20 more and have about 60. They never have enough caregivers so they are constantly finding new people and hiring these people. I asked where do these people come from and she said "churches", "job fairs", other places of interest. This is the part I really do not want to do ... is to FIND THE PEOPLE ... I can do everything else but I don't want to do that. I would also be in charge of making sure all the caregivers TB shots are up to date, their certification gets renewed once a year, etc. And be ready at all times in case we are audited.

When I left she said she "might" call me for a 2nd interview next week. Within 30 min, she had left me a voice mail and asked me to come back Monday am for my 2nd interview so she must like me enough to have me come back.

We did not discuss pay but I will definitely ask when I go back on Monday morning. I do know they don't pay the caregivers that much money ($7.50-8.50 an hour) so I am thinking thats why they can't keep the people very long. My friend who got me the interview said this company is a great company and it pays its "employees" really well so I am anxious to see what that figure is.

She also said in Concord 1 out of 10 people is a criminal. In Salisbury, 1 out of EVERY 4 people is a criminal and i really don't like that. So ....

What would you all do? Depending on the pay, I may or may not take it. I still have my perfume sales but I'm off the whole month of July and part of August so maybe I could find something else that's LESS STRESS. I just think this NEW job is full of stress and not sure I can deal with anymore on my plate right now. What do you think? And be honest please :).

Lori
06-18-2011, 07:02 AM
Compared to my job...not so stressful. I would love a job like that! Compared to selling perfume...you've tipped the stress scale!

Lori
06-18-2011, 07:05 AM
I hope you can make the right decision for you. Its a tough one, for sure!

loobylou
06-18-2011, 07:39 AM
I think if they offer it to you, try it. You have nothing to lose, it may turn out to be perfect, or may just not be the right job for you...but you will never know unless you give it a go. Keeping my fingers crossed that this is the right job for you.

maxiesmom
06-18-2011, 08:22 AM
As long as they are paying you decent or if it has any type of benefits, like Sarah says, give it a try. I would think as far as hiring people, as long as they run ads, go to the job fairs- it shouldn't be that hard to find people to run checks on at least. I know people are still having a hard time finding jobs up here and the health care industry seems to be where it's at. It isn't YOUR fault if you cannot find quality people out of who applies, right? At least you would be doing your job and who knows, maybe you will find some good folks.

I agree though, some places do NOT pay their staff well, which really stinks since those are the people providing the care. My mom tried going back to work last fall after only being retired about a year. The agency she went with was only paying her about 9 or 10 bucks an hour, yet was charging the families about 22! Talk about ridiculous!
I'll say a little prayer for you!

RubberLady603
06-18-2011, 08:59 AM
That's a tough call Sherri. I have a super stressful job and sometimes think how great it would be if I wasn't the one in charge and making difficult decisions. All in all though I do enjoy my job most of the time. It's never boring. LOL! I'll be thinking of you and can't wait to hear the outcome. Like Sarah and Kathy said maybe you can try it for a while and see how good a fit it is for you.

jazzypurple853
06-18-2011, 09:18 AM
I would look at the pro's and con's after your second interview. See how you feel after the second interview.

midnitecreations
06-18-2011, 09:59 AM
Go to the second interview and find out more details. Who runs the ads, the job fairs, etc. and most importantly the pay. Then see if it's worth the "hiring" issue.

Vintagegal
06-18-2011, 11:24 AM
I hope it turns out to be 'the job' for you! Good luck!

Christie
06-18-2011, 11:44 AM
for sure go to the second interview. this could be a good experience for you and may lead to something else down the road.

Far North
06-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Sherri, I agree with Sarah--give it a try. And so I offer a few thoughts.... Every job has a "honeymoon period" where the new hire is in training and folks are supportive in helping the new employee...use it get a feel for the job. The actual people one works with regularly often makes the difference in how much one likes any job and you never know that factor until you give it a try. Even if you don't stay very long you might end up with some new skills to add to your resume or it might lead to a great connection to a really wonderful job.

You may want to think of some questions to better understand the scope of the job responsibilities like: What's the average of how long caregivers stay on the job? Approximately how many new caregivers are hired monthly? Are recruitment materials and contacts for promoting the jobs already developed?

How long did the last folks in the job you are filling stay...and why did they leave? Increasing the caregivers by 50% means the workload of the position you are applying for may increase to nearly that much...is there a plan to help make this increase happen?

Our caregivers here make over $11.00 /hour. Low pay certainly affects the quality of applicants that can be attracted. Sometimes families need caregiver coverage for unique timeframes that make these jobs attractive to beginning college students or others who cannot work a typical 8 hours shift.

Recently I saw a large sign at Lowes customer service desk-"if you even use drugs do not bother to apply." So I guess businesses are getting bold in describing their employee candidates. You may want to define in recruitment materials that applicants must pass background checks and even some specifics. Here public online court records are used to pre-screen applicants before interviewing.

Sherri, best wishes in whatever you decide to do!

Patty
06-18-2011, 12:56 PM
Well...I wouldn't like the "finding people" part either. Especially if the job attracts criminals. It makes me think of when I was trying to get someone to stay with my husband while I was working. I ended up just staying home myself. They weren't dependable and I didn't trust them. Have you thought about working through a temp agency? You would see a variety of jobs and if you didn't like it no harm done since it's temporary. Up here we have a variety of diff. types of temps..office, health, real estate, insurance, banking, etc. Just a thought. Good luck, and of course, keep us posted....INQUIRING SHACKIES WANT TO KNOW!!!!:nod:

tojoco
06-18-2011, 01:01 PM
Sherri, some good sound questions from Jan. Be sure to delve deep into questioning this position as it does sound pretty stressful to me. Try to find out as much as you can before deciding. I am wondering why it only took her 30 minutes to call you in for a second interview. Is the job that difficult? Is it that hard to find someone to fill this position? Why? How long has this position been opened? These are just questions I would be asking myself. Good Luck. My thoughts will be with you Monday morning.

ngreek
06-18-2011, 02:30 PM
Sherri,
I would suggest definatly think about what all Jan had asked. I know we contract for caregivers on a regular basis and it is difficult to kep caregivers with specific clients due to the clients behavior. You will be pushed it sounds in this position personally and professionally. Know before you take the job as to what your biases might be with the position and see what you can do to get answers at the interview to help ease those biases. This is one of those positions where it sounds like networking and training. If you do well with the networking more job opportunities will be coming to you.

iloveflipflops
06-20-2011, 05:36 PM
2nd interview update --

Had my 2nd interview today. I met with 2 other women today. Neither one could tell me the pay so now I am waiting to hear back AGAIN from the first girl who interviewed me. It starts out as hourly and is a 9-5 job but then as the job progresses, I would become salary and sometimes have to work nights and one weekend a month (both Sat & Sundays). No insurance benefits are provided. The girl who is doing the job now is moving to Marketing. She's been in this position for 1 year. I asked if I could transfer to the Concord office and she said ONLY if the girl in Concord quit and she has been there for 5 years so ....

I really do not expect to get a phone call back and I am ok with that. I just have a gut feeling they are going to pay me low and I am just not going to take on those responsbilities for low pay. Too much stress and I don't need it.

I am looking forward to having July off from perfume and going back in August to squirt some more :).

Lori
06-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Oh that stinks!!! No bennies at all? I'm thinking it not the job for you! Something perfect will come along!

RubberLady603
06-20-2011, 08:32 PM
Wow Sherri, that isn't sounding like a great job......No benefits in a salaried position??? Real easy to take advantage of you once they get you locked into all that. Sounds like there is a very good reason nobody sticks around.

cindi
06-20-2011, 09:32 PM
I am thinking a job with that amount of responsabilities should have some bennies..this does not sound good to me
:(

iloveflipflops
06-21-2011, 08:08 AM
Even selling perfume I can get health insurance!! I have to pay for part of it but at least its an option! LOL

mahodgman
06-21-2011, 08:15 AM
I think your perfume job "smells" better than this one! This job smells kind of fishy to me....And one weekend a month is a lot especially since you will probably be salaried by then and stuck with the M-F too!

MnMommy2
06-21-2011, 01:23 PM
I agree with the others, this job sounds a little fishy, no benefits? I think you've done well with the perfume selling, you are increasing your sales and I think this would be a happier setting for you. Go with your gut!