PDA

View Full Version : Prismacolor, Prismacolor, Prismacolor...

Tantalize
01-15-2007, 11:58 AM
Well, ladies... THANKS A LOT. You all enabled me to buy some pencils... I spontaneously bid on this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=120072930527&rd=1&rd=1) auction late last night. While it seems sort of pricey-ish... I worked out the price at Michaels in Canada minus 40% off and taxes... and I would have been paying $135CDN where as I will be paying about $92 right now. Makes a difference eh!

So my questionnaire to you:

1. What set of Prismacolors do you own? 12, 24, 36, 48, 72, 120?

2. Do you use all of them, or do you just have some favourites that you use over and over again?

3. What do you like most about them?

4. When you colour then with Gamsol, or any other odourless mineral spirit, do you start with light colours and than dark, or dark and than light?

5. How did you buy yours? Ebay, M's, another art store?

Thank you!

Tantalize
01-15-2007, 12:34 PM
I have to go to school soon, so I cant wait to see these answers when I get back home today.... unless I log on at school. Which is quite possible. lol:twitcy:

Sherry
01-15-2007, 12:41 PM
I'll be the first to respond to your questionnaire!

1. What set of Prismacolors do you own? 12, 24, 36, 48, 72, 120?

I own the 72 set

2. Do you use all of them, or do you just have some favourites that you use over and over again?

I have some favorites that I tend to use over and over. Alot of my pencils still are not sharpened!

3. What do you like most about them?

I like that they are super smooth to color with and are very easy to blend

4. When you colour then with Gamsol, or any other odourless mineral spirit, do you start with light colours and than dark, or dark and than light?

I always start with light colors and then build up

5. How did you buy yours? Ebay, M's, another art store?

I purchased mine at a business supply store

Jadyeebugsaunt
01-15-2007, 12:46 PM
1. What set of Prismacolors do you own? 12, 24, 36, 48, 72, 120? I have the 12 and 48

2. Do you use all of them, or do you just have some favourites that you use over and over again? Not really sure just got them right after Christmas. Only been able to do a few projects. w them .

3. What do you like most about them? The way the blend well and the soft yet bold coverage.

4. When you colour then with Gamsol, or any other odourless mineral spirit, do you start with light colours and than dark, or dark and than light? I actually have done both and it gives different affects.

5. How did you buy yours? Ebay, M's, another art store? I bought mine at Joanns.

Tantalize
01-15-2007, 02:06 PM
4. When you colour then with Gamsol, or any other odourless mineral spirit, do you start with light colours and than dark, or dark and than light? I actually have done both and it gives different affects.

Im intrigued now. I asked that question because some tutorials online tell me to do one, while others tell me to do the other. lol I cant wait to see what I can do with them

1of2shoes
01-15-2007, 02:15 PM
You are talking about my very favorite subject, Thanh!!

1. What set of Prismacolors do you own? 12, 24, 36, 48, 72, 120? I have the set of 120 PLUS the 2 sets of updated colors, and I have replaced many colors many times. I love my pencils!

2. Do you use all of them, or do you just have some favourites that you use over and over again? I don't use the neon colors at all. I tend to use all of my pencils, altho some more than others. I store them upright in glass jars by color, so when I'm coloring and shading, I play with lots of colors in that group.

3. What do you like most about them? I love how they blend together. If I don't get the look I want right away, I just keep layering on more and more color until I do get what I want.

4. When you colour then with Gamsol, or any other odourless mineral spirit, do you start with light colours and than dark, or dark and than light? I don't use gamsol very often, but when I do, I start with the light colors and then layer on the darker colors and then gamsol it.

5. How did you buy yours? Ebay, M's, another art store? I bought my original set of 120 on ebay for about $55. Yes, I know I got a deal!! I buy my replacement pencils at the art store.

Thanks for letting me talk about Prismacolor pencils again today.

Erin K
01-15-2007, 02:43 PM
1. What set of Prismacolors do you own? 12, 24, 36, 48, 72, 120? I have the 120 set.

2. Do you use all of them, or do you just have some favourites that you use over and over again? My fav is deco pink, which is not in your pack. It's discontinued. I'm sorry about that. Oh no wait, my very favorite is scarlet red. I like the indigo too. I like them all. I use almost all of them regularly, even the neon.

3. What do you like most about them? I love that I have tons of colors to choose from, I love how they blend with or without the gamsol.

4. When you colour then with Gamsol, or any other odourless mineral spirit, do you start with light colours and than dark, or dark and than light?I do it all at once usually. I color on a thickish line of the light then just a bit of a thin line of the dark.

Erin K
01-15-2007, 02:46 PM
I got mine at michaels with a coupon sorry I didn't see that question

directmailscrapper
01-15-2007, 03:26 PM
1. What set of Prismacolors do you own? 12, 24, 36, 48, 72, 120? 120

2. Do you use all of them, or do you just have some favourites that you use over and over again? I've just started using them -- but there are a LOT of neutrals -- probably more than I'd ever need. Wish there were more pinks.

3. What do you like most about them? They have a nice, rich color and don't require too much pressure. When I used watercolor pencils, I found that my hands got tired from pressing.

4. When you colour then with Gamsol, or any other odourless mineral spirit, do you start with light colours and than dark, or dark and than light? Not enough experience to know. I did get my Gamsol and I have played with it a bit.

5. How did you buy yours? Ebay, M's, another art store? ACM with coupon. Paid close to $90 for the 120 set.

Enjoy!

Nancy

stampcrazyjulie
01-15-2007, 08:54 PM
1. What set of Prismacolors do you own? 12, 24, 36, 48, 72, 120? Originally I bought the 48, but a few days later I took the unopened package back & traded it towards the 72, then I won the 120 pack on EBay, so I took the 72 pack back. On EBay I paid $56.00 + $18.00 shipping & I received a pack of 24 verathin prismas. I also bought a 12 pack of new colors with my 50% of coupon at M's.

2. Do you use all of them, or do you just have some favourites that you use over and over again? I just got them a few days ago, so I have not yet opened them! :)

3. What do you like most about them? Not sure yet! I have heard such good things about them though! :)

4. When you colour then with Gamsol, or any other odourless mineral spirit, do you start with light colours and than dark, or dark and than light? ??

5. How did you buy yours? Ebay, M's, another art store? See # 1 EBAY $56.00 + $18.00 shipping.

Tantalize
01-15-2007, 08:56 PM
Fantastic!! Thank you for your input!!

Erin, I like how you go on about your favourites there. hehehehe

It seems that I will hopefull use 120 of them at some point.. the thing I dont get is how many greys there are in the package!

Tantalize
01-15-2007, 08:58 PM
OH JULIE!!! We can play TOGETHER. How fun and exciting. You'll be hearing from me.

buggainok
01-16-2007, 02:30 PM
1. What set of Prismacolors do you own? 12, 24, 36, 48, 72, 120? Wah, I only have 36. Would love to have more!

2. Do you use all of them, or do you just have some favourites that you use over and over again? Have only used a few colors because I just recently got them.

3. What do you like most about them? I like how smooth they go on. Also, that you can change the color with layers and pressure.

4. When you colour then with Gamsol, or any other odourless mineral spirit, do you start with light colours and than dark, or dark and than light? Haven't tried the Gamsol technique yet.

5. How did you buy yours? Ebay, M's, another art store? Got mine at M's with a 50% coupon.

Wish now I had gotten a larger set.

Erin K
01-16-2007, 05:13 PM
Wish now I had gotten a larger set.

I'm telling ya you probably have enough, they blend together really well. I have the 120 and feel like a fool sometimes that I didn't just get 72 or 48. I love having them all but I don't think anyone needs them all strictly speaking. So I'd say just enjoy what you have! Think of the stamps you can buy with the $$ you saved! :)

Tantalize
01-16-2007, 05:17 PM
I too, think I woulda just been happy with the 72, but *shrug* Why not go big I guess? lol. Really, I dont understand why there are 10+ shades of grey...

Erin K
01-16-2007, 05:26 PM
Well there is the french which is warm and the cool then the different levels. I think 6 might have been sufficient though. I do like the french gray though.

If you get the 120 and seperate them into colors in jars in your area it's really pretty. :)

buggainok
01-16-2007, 08:36 PM
You guys know, don't you, that the rest of the world does not understand how we can talk on and on about "colored pencils."

I was trying to explain to my dh how thrilled I was with them, and his eyes glazed right over in 15 seconds.

Just wait til the next time he wants to tell me about the great shot he hit on the 16th hole.:grin:

1of2shoes
01-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Hey Bugga:
I'm with you on talking about colored pencils. I get so excited talking about those things! I love it when I come on here and someone has posted some gorgeous card colored with them, or someone was posted something about how do you do this, don't you love this, etc. It gets me all twitterpated!