PDA

View Full Version : When did the Shack go up to $24 a YEAR?????

iloveflipflops
07-17-2011, 07:43 PM
WOW. :eek::spinny::swoon:

http://stamp-shack.com/cmps_index.php?page=shackplus

jazzypurple853
07-17-2011, 07:58 PM
I found this old link from the shack host:

http://stamp-shack.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42073&highlight=membership

I think the price increase is for those that are brand new. The rest of us, that have been around for a while are at the old price.

MnMommy2
07-17-2011, 08:01 PM
Yes, I had emailed one of the moderators about this. I was a little confused. So I get an email saying Your membership is about to expire, renew now. And I click the link and it says Shack Membership is $24 and I shake my head NO... then I check my PAYPAL and I got charged on last Friday for my renewal but it was just $12 for a year. I got the email after Paypal automatically renewed me, but when I went to the link, it still said $24. I would never renew at $24 just an FYI.

MnMommy2
07-17-2011, 08:02 PM
I do think that high price of "New Members" will deter people from joining though. There aren't that many paid forums/sites and I admit I was hesitant at first many years ago when I joined to fork over the $12 a year.

iloveflipflops
07-17-2011, 08:10 PM
I do think that high price of "New Members" will deter people from joining though. There aren't that many paid forums/sites and I admit I was hesitant at first many years ago when I joined to fork over the $12 a year.

I agree 1000% Renee!!

loobylou
07-17-2011, 09:02 PM
I had no idea!

cindi
07-17-2011, 09:53 PM
well, girls..good thing we like each other, cause I can't imagine we will get new shack plus members at that price!

midnitecreations
07-17-2011, 10:21 PM
That is a steep price to pay for membership. I agree Cindi, good thing we all like each other!

67Cats
07-18-2011, 03:28 AM
That is what I paid in May this year to join. = [
I had to seriously think about it, and wait to join until I had enough in my 'mad' fund
So know, when you get my swaps you'll just have to think they are $ 24.00 wonderfulish...

milmogando
07-18-2011, 06:17 AM
well, girls..good thing we like each other, cause I can't imagine we will get new shack plus members at that price!

exactly!!!

HeatherJ
07-18-2011, 11:13 AM
Wow, I had no idea either. My $12 seems like a real bargain now for sure. And we did recently get a few new members. Glad we have the games back and continue to have a full swap board so they will get some more value for their money. I will try to think of some challenges to do once summer is over too. Those were always fun.

maxiesmom
07-18-2011, 12:28 PM
At SCS you can pay 24.00, I think I could be wrong, but all that got you extra was being able to see the Dirty Dozen gallery. I only did it for a couple years and said heck with it, I didn't get much for my money. Considering all that SCS has to offer for free... Glad ours is still only 12.00. So for those of us that don't like it automatically coming out of our accounts, we don't have much choice now. If you cancel your subscription in order to manually do your subscription on your own timetable, uh uh, now you will get bumped up to 24.00. That is at least my take on it, I could be worng.

iloveflipflops
07-18-2011, 02:05 PM
You are right about SCS, you could see the Dirty Dozen Gallery and personally, I always forgot to check it so I only signed up for 1 year and then decided to cancel. You can see awesome cards there for free ...

limeyscrapper
07-18-2011, 05:24 PM
$24 is a lot to charge when there is so much free stuff out there.
So much great information available these days, on blogs, on free sites, on You-Tube, I don't think we will be seeing many new members at $24 either!
I've been away from the site for a while and when I came back recently I was pleasantly surprised to see that we have a few new members. We'd better be nice to them, and make them feel really welcome, because they must have thought we were something quite special to have paid a fee like that.
How nice to have some of our fun contests running again.
Here's a big thank you from me, to the Shackies who decided that we all needed a little more excitement in our lives.:)

Patty
07-18-2011, 06:09 PM
I agree that $24 is a big jump, but I guess I think about it differently. I look at what we get for that...the security of protection, great folks who keep the site running...I can't get out of a stamp store for $24....we all spend so much time on here..we have all made lifelong friends...it's only $2 per month...Starbucks is about $5 and that's just one cup. I'm certainly not rich by any means, but to me it's a great value. JMO:wubclub:

Merry4003
07-18-2011, 06:54 PM
I ditto Patty. The entertainment and fun I have here for $2.00 a month is so worth it to me. What else can I do for $2.00 a month, where I live - not much !

milmogando
07-18-2011, 06:56 PM
when I came back recently I was pleasantly surprised to see that we have a few new members. We'd better be nice to them, and make them feel really welcome, because they must have thought we were something quite special to have paid a fee like that.

aww c'mon...we're AMAZING!! lol
seriously though, i quite agree with everything you said!

milmogando
07-18-2011, 06:57 PM
So know, when you get my swaps you'll just have to think they are $ 24.00 wonderfulish...

i'm sure they're worth much more!
it's great you joined us:)

ccstampin12
07-18-2011, 09:01 PM
I agree with Patty. I know many are having financial issues, and, to be honest, so are we....a fixed income isn't so fun!
I will still plan to rejoin the Shack, because I love this forum and the girls in it. I have made friends I could never have met without the Shack. It has become my only reason to stamp and create now, as our LSS is closing on July 30. My $12/24 will continue to be invested in my membership here. Those of you who are planning to drop out over the money will be missed.
Joanie

Paula Carden
07-19-2011, 09:22 AM
Wonder if we will get more new members

penelope
07-19-2011, 10:21 AM
I agree that there are a lot of free stuff out there but it doesn't have the friendliness that this site has. For some reason everyone here seems like they become your friend and not just an acquaintent.(Is that a word?) Glad I got to join for the old price, because even if I don't do any swaps, hearing about your lives and caring about mine, makes me feel good. - Penelope aka Nancy

RubberLady603
07-19-2011, 12:47 PM
I really love my Shackie friends so for me it is worth it even if I have to choose membership money vs. a new stamp set. There is no other place like the Shack! People really and truely care about each other! I too have met some really nice people here!

LMRink
07-19-2011, 08:28 PM
I was not aware that there was automatic renewal. I was planning on renewing this year, but I want the option. How would this work?

loobylou
07-19-2011, 08:50 PM
I was not aware that there was automatic renewal. I was planning on renewing this year, but I want the option. How would this work?
I see you listed as a junior member. Looks like your membership has expired already, so you haven't automatically renewed. When you are ready you can go to the ShackPLUS page to sign up again.

Paula Carden
07-19-2011, 09:01 PM
I too love the Shack and feel I have made many, many friends here. It is a nice neighborhood so I will continue to renew. I hope other will reconsider too. The gallery here is awesome and I love the atomsphere-friendly, caring and peaceful. Great way to start the day or end the day is with the Shack.

GSMom385
07-20-2011, 09:13 PM
I always turn off the auto renewal, I don't like things like that. So I guess I will be paying the higher price but here's how I look at it therapy would be 10 times more expensive, which is what I would need if I couldn't come here and decompress after a long day so it is a value to me.

MnMommy2
07-20-2011, 10:44 PM
I think if you renew, whether you have the automatic payment or not, you will still get it for $12.00
It is just $24.00 for new members/usernames I think.

limeyscrapper
07-20-2011, 10:49 PM
$24 is a lot to charge when there is so much free stuff out there.
So much great information available these days, on blogs, on free sites, on You-Tube, I don't think we will be seeing many new members at $24 either!

I wasn't meaning that I didn't think it was worth $24.
Those of us who have been around for a while, know the benefits, and yes, $2 a month is a bargain - but I still think that it will be harder to attract new members.

MnMommy2
07-21-2011, 12:42 AM
Those of us who have been around for a while, know the benefits, and yes, $2 a month is a bargain - but I still think that it will be harder to attract new members.

I completely agree!

maxiesmom
07-21-2011, 08:51 AM

Yes, that was my thought as well. We all know what we have here, but for new peeps??

MnMommy2
07-21-2011, 03:00 PM
Old members/current members with expiring accounts will have to pay the $24 to renew also, Paypal automatically renewed me at $12 and I am now a junior member and not having access to a lot of stuff, not too happy about it, I mean we weren't even notified of this change. I will just finish my swaps and call it good. I'm not very active Sept-June and its not worth $24 for me to frequent a site so little. Sorry gals, I will keep in touch via Facebook/blogs.

loobylou
07-21-2011, 06:42 PM
Old members/current members with expiring accounts will have to pay the $24 to renew also, Paypal automatically renewed me at $12 and I am now a junior member and not having access to a lot of stuff, not too happy about it, I mean we weren't even notified of this change. I will just finish my swaps and call it good. I'm not very active Sept-June and its not worth $24 for me to frequent a site so little. Sorry gals, I will keep in touch via Facebook/blogs.

RENEE, that sounds like you've encountered a glitch in the system, please report this problem by pressng the support button on the top toolbar. I think one other member had the same thing happen, and the Hosts rectified it. Be persistent! we don't want to lose you.

RubberLady603
07-21-2011, 06:55 PM
Yup! Same thing happened to me!! You have to do the support thing! I was the Guinea pig so they must know how to fix it this time! Be persistent!

MnMommy2
07-21-2011, 08:57 PM
Yup! Same thing happened to me!! You have to do the support thing! I was the Guinea pig so they must know how to fix it this time! Be persistent!

Thanks for the suggestion, I actually a few hours ago pulled a ticket and wrote the shack host about it. We'll see what they say.

MnMommy2
07-21-2011, 09:03 PM
Sorry ladies, I'm not trying to be so negative or a downer, but I'm really only active on this site in the Summer when I'm not working. During the school year there is so much stuff going on, I don't have the time for swaps, etc, so $24 for 3 Summer Months just isn't a deal for me. ;(

I did take out a support ticket, so hopefully it will be straightened out. I have limited access and can't respond to certain threads and galleries.

RubberLady603
07-21-2011, 09:25 PM
It is frustrating when you're used to going wherever you want! And responding wherever you want. Hopefully it won't take as long to get you fixed up since they probably know what the problem is this time.

craftymom78
07-21-2011, 09:42 PM
I, too, paid the $24.00. It said $12.00 on the site but when I did further research it said 12 in some places and 24 in some others. I just assumed it was a recent change. I felt it was steep but figured I would try it out at least once. Then when I got my welcome e-mail it also said 12. I think it is cheap when you break it down monthly, but paying it in one lump sum makes it sound more expensive. I think it will deter new members. The only reason I paid that much was because I knew someone on here and new how it be. If I had to go on my own gut feeling...I would have passed. Ho hum....hopefully others will come or we will keep recruiting our friends "-)