PDA

View Full Version : being october and all...

shuggy
10-28-2011, 09:13 PM
now that i'm in the 40 club, i had my first mammogram today. it wasn't nearly as bad as i thought it would be!! and it scared me to death...i had no idea the actual size of the girls!! they look so different squashed under plexiglass!! :goofy:

ccstampin12
10-28-2011, 09:18 PM
Owie!
I will have one the beginning of 2012!

cindi
10-28-2011, 09:24 PM
welcome to the smooshie club
:)

tesschap
10-28-2011, 09:25 PM
OUCH! I get mine in January - not on my list of favorite things to do!

67Cats
10-28-2011, 09:26 PM
I had mine yesterday.
My Mother and Maternial Aunt had BC - so I have been getting them for a long time. I think I had a screen one @ 35 yrs old.
Then I became yearly when I hit 40.

maxiesmom
10-28-2011, 09:33 PM
Yes, it really isn't as bad as people gripe about. Sure it gets tight, but it isn't like you're going to be in that position for a long time.

iloveflipflops
10-28-2011, 09:57 PM
they are only squooshed for a few seconds. Its not that bad. The nurse told me this time that the smaller you are, the worse it hurts. I never have that problem. LOL

cindi
10-28-2011, 10:18 PM
they are only squooshed for a few seconds. Its not that bad. The nurse told me this time that the smaller you are, the worse it hurts. I never have that problem. LOL

fianally..fat comes in handy!!
YAY!

milmogando
10-28-2011, 11:05 PM
i have had them since 34 cause my sis had breast cancer at 36. i'm over due atm but they wont do one 'til i've stopped breast feeding...that bothers me a bit.

MnMommy2
10-28-2011, 11:14 PM
I've got a few years to go, but I'm nervous too. I'm pretty small and I don't want them any flatter than they already are! lol

loobylou
10-29-2011, 04:25 AM
I had my first Mammogram screening this month, not too bad at all. I chose October so I always remember that it's Breast Cancer awareness month. Here in Australia it's free for people over 40.

Patty
10-29-2011, 10:17 AM
Please grant me a moment on the soapbox---I cannot tell you how important this mamogram is to each of you. I have had them--faithfully-- since I was about 30 due to bc on both sides of my family. After 30 years of mmg's, this year I went to a lab that is new here. The doctor contacted me to say the "film didn't look right". She wanted to do another one. I did that---then a sonogram---then a biopsy---end result--there were cancer cells but they were too small to actually see or show on the film. This July I had the cancer removed with the aide of the sonogram machine--they tested my lymph system and that was clean. They said it was too small to measure--but it's gone. I opted for a double mastectomy and reconstruction with my own tissue. With the advanced equipment, testing and education, they can work miracles. No chemo, no radiation, (no breast tissue left to treat) just one pill a day for 5 years (newer than tomaxafin--sp?). Out of the hospital in 5 days with a daily nap for a couple of weeks. It's is amazing what can be done today---but first you have to go for the test. A moment of "squeeze" is worth curing the disease!!! PLEASE DON'T PUT IT OFF!!!!!

Lori
10-29-2011, 02:31 PM
Smooshing is a good thing! Need to have mine smooshed again soon!

cindi
10-29-2011, 07:41 PM
Please grant me a moment on the soapbox---I cannot tell you how important this mamogram is to each of you. I have had them--faithfully-- since I was about 30 due to bc on both sides of my family. After 30 years of mmg's, this year I went to a lab that is new here. The doctor contacted me to say the "film didn't look right". She wanted to do another one. I did that---then a sonogram---then a biopsy---end result--there were cancer cells but they were too small to actually see or show on the film. This July I had the cancer removed with the aide of the sonogram machine--they tested my lymph system and that was clean. They said it was too small to measure--but it's gone. I opted for a double mastectomy and reconstruction with my own tissue. With the advanced equipment, testing and education, they can work miracles. No chemo, no radiation, (no breast tissue left to treat) just one pill a day for 5 years (newer than tomaxafin--sp?). Out of the hospital in 5 days with a daily nap for a couple of weeks. It's is amazing what can be done today---but first you have to go for the test. A moment of "squeeze" is worth curing the disease!!! PLEASE DON'T PUT IT OFF!!!!!

soapbox away, Girlfriend!!! it's a good lesson for us all. and I am so thankful you are ok!!

mahodgman
10-30-2011, 10:27 AM
I've also had a yearly smoosh since the age of 30 because of family history. In all that time, all those tests I only had one technitian one time who hurt me. She was a very aggressive smoosher and proud of it. I wanted to slap her! Anyway, I was really glad she wasn't my first experience because I would have been reluctant to ever have another one after that.