PDA

View Full Version : Kindle Fire

ngreek
11-21-2011, 06:07 PM
So who was it that was getting a Kindle Fire? Have you gotten it? Do you like it? I was messing with one in the store yesterday... Ohh my I might have to upgrade my kindle.

tojoco
11-21-2011, 07:48 PM
I received the Kindle Fire last week and I absolutely love it. I was actually playing games, checking in to the Stamp Shack, playing "Words with Friends" and checking my email all while flying from Memphis to Newark. It is absolutely well worth the money.

midnitecreations
11-21-2011, 08:27 PM
I want to get one too. Just was looking into it. Do you have any issues getting online with it? I'd assume not, since you can get it flying! Do you have the premium pkg? I know I'm getting one!

tojoco
11-21-2011, 08:37 PM
You get 30 days free trial of the premium package so I'm not sure if I will need to get it or not yet. I did have a minor quirk mid-air while I was on the internet where it would just jump back to the previous page I was on but I was able to quickly bring it back to the page I was working on. Over all I think it is well worth the $200.

suzi_f
11-21-2011, 09:29 PM
Im thinking it since it's cheap & I'm not sure which tablet I want to waste my $$$ on. How much is the premium package?? What do you get w/it? Can you get anywhere on the web?? I did buy my first Kindle book this weekend......

ccstampin12
11-21-2011, 09:34 PM
I got mine last week too. I have no idea how to do what Joanne is doing....are those things in the instructions? I didn't notice anything like that in there.
Could have missed it as there seemed a lot of info.
At least for me...your non-techie friend.
Joanie
I did buy one book which I am reading!

tojoco
11-21-2011, 10:50 PM
I got mine last week too. I have no idea how to do what Joanne is doing....are those things in the instructions? I didn't notice anything like that in there.
Could have missed it as there seemed a lot of info.
At least for me...your non-techie friend.
Joanie
I did buy one book which I am reading!

Joanie, the Kindle Fire does a whole lot more then just an e-reader. You can get your email, get on the internet, play games (especially Words with Friends), you can watch movies and t.v. shows and listen to music, etc. Plus you get 1 free trial membership to Amazon Prime. I hope you take the time to find out how to use some of these awesome features. If I can help you or answer any of your questions, just ask.

tojoco
11-21-2011, 10:52 PM
Im thinking it since it's cheap & I'm not sure which tablet I want to waste my $$$ on. How much is the premium package?? What do you get w/it? Can you get anywhere on the web?? I did buy my first Kindle book this weekend......

I didn't know you had a Kindle!!!

Here an answer to your premium package question:

Amazon Prime and Kindle Fire
About Amazon Prime

Amazon Prime is an annual membership program that offers customers unlimited Free Two-Day Shipping on millions of items, instant streaming of more than 10,000 movies and TV shows and access to borrow a Kindle book every month, including New York Times Bestsellers, with no due dates -- all for just $79 a year. Eligible customers who purchase a Kindle Fire will be given a free month of Amazon Prime.
About the free month of Amazon Prime with Kindle Fire

Customers who have not used Prime instant videos over the past year will automatically be given a free month of Amazon Prime when they first activate their Kindle Fire. Eligible customers receiving free shipping benefits as an Amazon Mom, Amazon Student or as an invited guest of another Prime member will receive a month of Prime digital benefits, which includes Prime instant videos and Kindle Owners' Lending Library. If you're already a paid or free trial member of Prime when you register your device, you'll be able to seamlessly use your benefits without interruption or changes to your membership.
Starting your free month of Amazon Prime

Your free month of Amazon Prime will start when you first activate your Kindle Fire. There is no charge, no credit card required to enjoy the free month.

I hope you decide to get one because it really is awesome.

midnitecreations
11-21-2011, 11:01 PM
I've been reading the reviews and such about the Kindle Fire. They're all coming in fantastic. Makes one wonder, what's the drawback. It's more than 1/2 the price of a ipad

tojoco
11-21-2011, 11:09 PM
I've been reading the reviews and such about the Kindle Fire. They're all coming in fantastic. Makes one wonder, what's the drawback. It's more than 1/2 the price of a ipad

Renu, check out this video:

http://cnettv.cnet.com/differences-between-ipad-2-kindle-fire/9742-1_53-50113356.html

midnitecreations
11-22-2011, 02:52 AM
Thanks Joanne, that was quite helpful. Though, the question I had in my mind is still not fully answered. How did the wifi on the kindle fire do. I'll take mine on long trips and most likely the kids will be watching stuff on it. I just wonder if it'll drop the net or the streaming videos along the way. But, no matter what, the ipad is definitely not in my budget!

ccstampin12
11-22-2011, 07:04 AM
Joanie, the Kindle Fire does a whole lot more then just an e-reader. You can get your email, get on the internet, play games (especially Words with Friends), you can watch movies and t.v. shows and listen to music, etc. Plus you get 1 free trial membership to Amazon Prime. I hope you take the time to find out how to use some of these awesome features. If I can help you or answer any of your questions, just ask.

Thanks, Joanne. I'm going to take it with me to our DS's and maybe he or someone else there can show me things. I'm a learning by doing kind of person....but I need to see it first!
J

penelope
11-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Does it get a lot of advertising- Nancy

suzi_f
11-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Joanne, I don't have a kindle but Becca does. But, she doesn't like it. I'm an old fashioned (and cheap!!) girl who gets her books for FREE at the library!!! But, on the treadmill, the kindle is sooooo much easier than dealing w/a book!! So, you can only get online where there's wifi?? There is no wifi at work so that's why I'm thinking against an iPad or tablet. What's the point if I can't use it at work?

tojoco
11-22-2011, 07:19 PM
Joanne, I don't have a kindle but Becca does. But, she doesn't like it. I'm an old fashioned (and cheap!!) girl who gets her books for FREE at the library!!! But, on the treadmill, the kindle is sooooo much easier than dealing w/a book!! So, you can only get online where there's wifi?? There is no wifi at work so that's why I'm thinking against an iPad or tablet. What's the point if I can't use it at work?

Suzi, with the ipad you can get 3G or 4G so I think you'd be able to use it at work but the ipad is more then twice the cost of the Fire and the more storage you want, the price goes up. The Kindle Fire is only wifi so you would not be able to get on the internet unless you're in a hotspot but it doesn't stop you from reading a book or playing games that are downloaded but not through the internet. So no matter where you are, you will be able to read your book.