PDA

View Full Version : Crockpot Chilli???

suzi_f
01-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Does anyone make their Chilli in a crockpot? I just use the canned beans & tom paste & sauce so I don't need hours to breakdown the tomatos or whatever but I cant seem to get the beans as soft as I'd like them cooking it on the stove. Several people have suggested a crockpot but wouldn't that be too long if I put it on for like 8 hours??? I could probably get scott to turn it on at noon when he's home. Any thoughts???

MnMommy2
01-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Depending of if I've got raw meet that goes into the crockpot or not, but we usually cook our stuff 4-6 hours unless it is a stew or something where the veggies need to get really soft. Just have it on the lowest setting and let it simmer until you get home?

cindi
01-03-2012, 03:49 PM
I do it in the crock, it will be fine on low for 8 hours
:)

Paula Carden
01-03-2012, 06:36 PM
I do canned tomatoes, kidney beans (dark and light)canned, beef (already browned and drained) cook on low-taste pretty good with chili seasoning.

cindi
01-03-2012, 07:51 PM
I do canned tomatoes, kidney beans (dark and light)canned, beef (already browned and drained) cook on low-taste pretty good with chili seasoning.

yup, that is how I do mine too...with a jalapeno or 2

Spartymom
01-04-2012, 06:21 AM
Suzi, chili in the crockpot is awesome. I cook the ground round first. I use stewed tomatoes too. Try the crock. Oh and it cooks all day long. Freezes well to.

suzi_f
01-04-2012, 02:31 PM
I can't add the meat to it while it cooks because Becca doesn't like meat in her chili. But, I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turns out. It's making me hungry talking about it!!! LOL

cindi
01-04-2012, 03:58 PM
you know, Suzi, it does sound good..I am going to make some soon..maybe Monday

suzi_f
01-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Just to let you know, the crockpot chili didnt go over well. I think it turned out pretty good. beans were soft like i like them & it didn't burn like i was afraid of. but, scott was not a fan; he thought it was too dry; he wants chili w/lots of "juice" for the crackers to sop up. (i HATE crackers in my chili. i eat them WITH the chili but not IN the chili). So, I may try it again sometime but put in lots o'water to start with....

cindi
01-11-2012, 04:08 PM
Just to let you know, the crockpot chili didnt go over well. I think it turned out pretty good. beans were soft like i like them & it didn't burn like i was afraid of. but, scott was not a fan; he thought it was too dry; he wants chili w/lots of "juice" for the crackers to sop up. (i HATE crackers in my chili. i eat them WITH the chili but not IN the chili). So, I may try it again sometime but put in lots o'water to start with....

well that's too bad..it's hard to cook for a family when everyone likes stuff different..I don't envy that!

Mrs. StampFantasy
01-12-2012, 03:59 AM
Please, can you say me, what is a crockpot ???

suzi_f
01-12-2012, 05:54 AM
Slow cooker??? An appliance (like a toaster) that you plug in & it cooks at a very low temp. The best thing is throwing stuff in before you leave for work & it's done when you get home. Like roast & stews & stuff.

Mrs. StampFantasy
01-12-2012, 08:35 AM
Slow cooker??? An appliance (like a toaster) that you plug in & it cooks at a very low temp. The best thing is throwing stuff in before you leave for work & it's done when you get home. Like roast & stews & stuff.

Ah, ok. Thank you, Suzi