PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone offer sewing help?

kimmyqtgirl
02-10-2012, 08:31 PM
My sewing machine won't work. It keeps jamming and leaving a huge wad of thread under the fabric. I have tried adjusting a few things and can't figure out what is wrong. I even tried several pieces of fabric in different thicknesses to see if that was an issue and same thing. UGH! I had to sew something for my hubby, it worked fine a couple months ago when I used it.

Desert Stamper
02-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Does the fabric continue to feed or does it just stay in one place and make a big wad of thread?
Have you tried taking the bobbin spool out and looking to see if a small piece of thread is caught in the shuttle?

kimmyqtgirl
02-10-2012, 08:51 PM
It just stays in one place and wads up. I even tried 3 different bobbins.

Desert Stamper
02-10-2012, 08:59 PM
I have an older machine and it usually only does that if I'm trying to backstitch or if there's thread fragment caught in/around bobbin shuttle mechanism. Sorry that's the only suggestions I have. Believe me, I feel your pain and frustration; hope you find the problem and can get it back to norrmal soon.

midnitecreations
02-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Mine was doing it because there was a lot of "fiber dust" caught around the bobbin. I took a small brush and cleaned all the stuff out of there. worked fine after.

kimmyqtgirl
02-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Thanks. Maybe I'll take it apart to make sure there isn't anything stuck in a spot I can't see.

Patty
02-10-2012, 09:36 PM
I used to do A LOT of sewing, and when that happened to me, I usually found it was threaded incorrectly---like I skipped a spot to hook in the thread--try pulling all the thread both bobbin and spool, and then rethread it. Let me know if this is any help. Good luck!!!

Paula Carden
02-11-2012, 06:22 AM
If it is threaded correctly and the bobbins are wound to tight or lose it could be the tension if you have adjusted it for different weights of fabric. I think Patty hit tho is probably not threaded exactly the way it is designed.

kimmyqtgirl
02-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Ok I got it working again... I took the area where the bobbin goes apart and cleaned it all out - it was pretty dusty. Then I oiled it and rethreaded everything and it's all working great now. Thanks for all the advise. It only took like 10 mins to do I am so glad it's not broken. It's 10 years old but I don't use it that much. Oh and I found out it has a self threader so I can't wait to use that!

Patty
02-14-2012, 09:53 PM
ooooo--self threader--sounds great to me. Ten years is nothing--I've had mine since my kids were babies and they're in their 40's now. My aunt's is a Singer and she was sewing when my kids were born....she passed about 10 years ago at 94 and my dd has it now and it's still zipping along--just keep it oiled and every blue moon maybe a tune up. They don't make them like that anymore--it only zigzags and does buttonholes, but it does those things very well.---All metal---is it a Singer? I think mine is a Kenmore