PDA

View Full Version : what do you serve with Chilli Con Carne?

loobylou
09-15-2012, 06:25 AM
I just made chilli for the first time ever! I am serving it with yellow rice, cherry tomatoes, spring onion and sour cream on the side, but I am sure all you Americans that eat chilli all the time have some other good ideas about what goes with chilli. Please share, and feel free to share your chilli recipes too.
Thanks

ccstampin12
09-15-2012, 06:47 AM
Shred some sharp cheese for people to put on top of the hot chile. The cheese melts and tastes so great with the chile.
I used to serve it with hard/bulky rolls. But I don't eat those anymore!!! Don't know what you call them, but here they have poppyseeds on top and they are about 4" in diameter.
Chile sounds really good~~~
Joanie

HeatherJ
09-15-2012, 08:40 AM
I like a biscuit with mine. (Canadians call biscuits something different than Brits so not sure if you Aussie are the same as "us" or "them" - NOt a cookie.) Baking powder dough rolled out, cut in a circle, baked and buttered!)

Paula Carden
09-15-2012, 08:56 AM
Here in the south- it is common to have cornbread with chili or soup. I don't care much for cornbread so I usually will have saltine crackers. I like cheese in mine or on the side. Sounds like you may could make a salad with yours and put the chili on top.
The Native Americans here have Indian Fry Bread- it is a thick batter and deep fried. The toppings are chili, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream and cheese. Some call it an Indian Taco.

maxiesmom
09-15-2012, 09:03 AM
Geez, I am totally boring! We just have chili, plain old chili! Sometimes we put some cheese on top, but that's it. Like Paula said I sometimes will put in some saltines as I also dislike cornbread. I have to say the thought of putting it on top of a salad sounds kind of wrong to me.

And I can't believe you just now made chili, Sarah! I grew up eating it, probably time for some soon. Seems to be something we make more in the cooler weather for some reason. Guess cause comfort food lends itself so well to chilly weather(pun not intended, just a happy accident!)

cindi
09-15-2012, 09:11 AM
shredded cheese, corn bread, or i like to serve some jalepeno poppers (frozen kind) with mine. but saying all that, Chilli is very satisfying on it's own too
:)

loobylou
09-15-2012, 09:58 AM
I will have to look up "corn bread"...do you mean polenta? made with cornmeal?

oh, and Heather, a biscuit here means a cookie. What you are describing we would call a plain scone, and we wouldn't serve them with savoury food, just jam and cream. I find it odd when I hear of "biscuits and gravy"

Christie
09-15-2012, 10:46 AM
I will have to look up "corn bread"...do you mean polenta? made with cornmeal?

oh, and Heather, a biscuit here means a cookie. What you are describing we would call a plain scone, and we wouldn't serve them with savoury food, just jam and cream. I find it odd when I hear of "biscuits and gravy"

cornbread is the recipe i gave you and you made and said it was like cake. it's made with cornmeal. here in texas the most popular thing to eat with chili are crackers. you take some saltine crackers and crumble them on top and mix them in!! biscuits are more like a scone but not totally like that. here are some biscuits: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/biscuits-recipe/index.html

Rebecca
09-15-2012, 11:11 AM
I like my chili topped with shredded cheddar cheese and chili fritos.......yummmmm

maxiesmom
09-15-2012, 11:26 AM
I was going to say the same as Christie, scones are different than a biscuit and I wouldn't eat a scone with chili either! Biscuits are in the family of dinner rolls, but again not quite the same. Maybe more the same in flavor and differing mostly in texture. And Rebecca is right, Fritos are good with chili too, but Sarah probably doesn't have Fritos either. I had a coworker who loved tortilla chips when she brought chili for lunch.

Thanks for your post Sarah, this has been a fun and interesting thread. It's always cool to hear how different our foods can be.

And now I want to make some chili too.

cindi
09-15-2012, 12:09 PM
cornbread is the recipe i gave you and you made and said it was like cake. it's made with cornmeal. here in texas the most popular thing to eat with chili are crackers. you take some saltine crackers and crumble them on top and mix them in!! biscuits are more like a scone but not totally like that. here are some biscuits: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/biscuits-recipe/index.html

Christies recipe for corn bread reminds that corn bread in teh north is very different as ours is not sweet..

tesschap
09-15-2012, 12:17 PM
My husband loves corn bread with his chili. I prefer oyster crackers ... those mini saltine type crackers. I also usually top off our chili with diced onion and some shredded cheese. Sounds yummy!

maxiesmom
09-15-2012, 01:39 PM
Christies recipe for corn bread reminds that corn bread in teh north is very different as ours is not sweet..

This is curious to me as I consider myself "in the north"(no Cindi, not as north as you!) and I have always thought cornbread was on the sweet side.

Christie
09-15-2012, 01:43 PM
This is curious to me as I consider myself "in the north"(no Cindi, not as north as you!) and I have always thought cornbread was on the sweet side.

I don't know how much farther south you can get then southeast Texas but most of the time here, like if you get it at a restaurant it isn't sweet cornbread. Growing up, and even now, I don't know anyone who makes sweet cornbread besides myself. I never even had sweet cornbread until I was an adult and made it at home once and now that's how i prefer it. But....if I have company there is no way I'd put sugar in it, they would kill me!! LOL

maxiesmom
09-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Christie, since I am not a cornbread fan, maybe that was just the way I had it once and am misremembering(not surprising). But like I said, I have it in my head that cornbread is sweetish tasting.

Paula Carden
09-15-2012, 02:26 PM
Cornbread here in western NC isn't suppose to be sweet either. We refer it to Yankee Cornbread if it has sugar in it (sorry not trying to offend anyone). Sometimes restuarants here will make something called cornpones and add a little sugar and then roll it in powder sugar while it oily as they are deep-fried like hushpuppies.

We also add many other things...corn, jalepenos, cheese etc..call it Mexican Cornbread.

Christie
09-15-2012, 05:56 PM
Cornbread here in western NC isn't suppose to be sweet either. We refer it to Yankee Cornbread if it has sugar in it (sorry not trying to offend anyone). Sometimes restuarants here will make something called cornpones and add a little sugar and then roll it in powder sugar while it oily as they are deep-fried like hushpuppies.

We also add many other things...corn, jalepenos, cheese etc..call it Mexican Cornbread.

Yup, they call sweet cornbread yankee cornbread here too!!! I love the cornbread with cheese and jalapeno!! I haven't ever made it that way but I have eaten it before and it's yummy!!!

cindi
09-15-2012, 07:54 PM
haha..I used to have a boyfriend from Biloxi(sp?) mississippi and when he tried moms corn bread he was horrified it was not sweet. he said if it wasn't sweet it wasn't corn bread..so I just assumed that southern cornbread is a sweet type.. see now I have learned something new..he was an idiot in more ways than one..lol no wonder i sent his butt back south

maxiesmom
09-15-2012, 08:14 PM
And I had to ask my mom about it since she does eat it and she said of all the times she has had it, it's slightly sweet too. Apparently cornbread can be very random!

cindi
09-15-2012, 08:27 PM
who knew corn bread could be so diverse! i love learning new stuff in random ways

mcourtney
09-15-2012, 10:39 PM
My Mom was Japanese. When she learned to make chili, she put an oriental spin on it. She put some sugar in it and served it over steamed rice. This is the way I make it.

ccstampin12
09-16-2012, 07:11 AM
I always used Bisquik for my bisquits. Call me lazy...I don't care.
I just looked up the recipe I have always used for corn bread. It's my grandmother's recipe.
It is called Johnny Cake in our family. The history of that name came from early American times when people would walk long distances from one place to another. The original name was 'Journey Cake' but somehow became Johnny Cake for some reason. Apparently, the cakes traveled well and provided some necessary nutrition for the traveler.
Our recipe has 2 Tablespoons of sugar for a square pan sized cake.
I used to teach about early American history and New England.... in my 4th grade classes and these little tidbits of information I remembered from teaching.
We used to make Johnny Cake in class and we'd churn our own butter to put on it. I used a metal coffee can and a "churner" made with Tinker Toys. We also used a closed jar and passed it around for everyone to shake until the cream turned to butter. Sometimes a brave student or 2 would try the buttermilk that was left in the jar or can after the butter was removed. I loved teaching this stuff!! And I think the kids loved it too! There's your history lesson for today!!! I grew up in New York State and taught there. This recipe was from NY. If anyone wants it, I'll try to figure out where to post it.

loobylou
09-16-2012, 08:04 AM
Yes, you are correct, we don't have Fritos (Kathy), and we also don't have Bisquick (Joanie). I know that ErinK says "all dogs feet smell like Fritos", so I guess I could just go smell my pups paws to get the idea..lol. I ended up serving my chilli with yellow rice (steamed rice with a dash of tumeric powder) so I guess I made it closer to Marycourtney's Japanese version. What culturally diverse mob we are at the Shack!

On the subject of cornmeal/polenta- my friend made a lemon polenta cake this week for morning tea and it was deliciously sweet. I should get her recipe to share. I tasted like lemon curd

Paula Carden
09-16-2012, 08:56 AM
that lemon cake sounds wonderfully tempting!

maxiesmom
09-16-2012, 10:48 AM
Mary's chili over rice sounds pretty good and I'd like to try that too.
Joanie, when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade we also made butter in a mason jar in class one day and I remember how tasty it was to this day.
Sarah, Fritos are corn chips and my dogs feet do not smell like Fritos. Erin must have special dogs. Oscars feet just smell like dog(and thankfully nothing else!).

Now I want chili, chili over rice, Fritos and lemon cake!

RubberLady603
09-16-2012, 10:53 AM
Now I really, really want some chili and sweet cornbread!!! Today I'm making corned beef and cabbage. All the veggies are from my garden. DH is out there digging taters and carrots right now.

RubberLady603
09-16-2012, 10:55 AM
I really need some of Sarah's lemon cake too!

Christie
09-16-2012, 06:50 PM
I want some chili now but i want it with crackers!!!

firefly
09-20-2012, 02:25 AM
Crackers known by Americans are called biscuits by those across the pond. This thread has been very entertaining! Isn't it amazing the variety of foods across the world.