PDA

View Full Version : Living in a small town ...

iloveflipflops
10-27-2012, 05:00 PM
So, I really love our new house. Its in a tiny town named Landis. I think the population is only 3,000 which is similar to Hobe Sound, where our house in FL is. Coming from Concord (which was like 60,000 I think), its a big difference but we are just outside of Concord so we're only like 8 miles to the closest Walmart.

Our neighborhood is super quiet. Its a golf course community and only 10 houses are built. After 10 houses, they stopped building due to the economy. Our house is 3 years old so its pretty new. Out of the 10 houses, only 4 seem to be lived in. The other 6 are bank owned. They are 1/2 the price they were 4 years ago. We have one retired couple to our right. No one to the left, back or front. Just trees. We cannot see the golf course just in the far distance. If i look real hard out the front door, I can see golfers golfing most days during the week. Do these young golfers not work? LOL

Now that we are in our new house, I hope we can have some normalcy again. Whatever that may be. Its been a rough couple of years but we will survive. The kids are doing great with the move. Nicholas is a little farther from his girlfriend but not too far :).

I'm still squirting perfume but my hours have dwindled down to next to nothing. I only work 4-5 hrs a WEEK (this week I had 0 sales which is not good!) till Thanksgiving and then it will pick up that week but not again till the week BEFORE Christmas so ... it won't be as crazy as it was last year. I was working for 3 different perfume companies this year and 2 went away from Belks so I am down to 1 company. Oh well. I continue to look for another job but so far, no one wants me :(.

So that's whats going on with us ... sorry I've been away so much. I will try and be on here more :).

Paula Carden
10-27-2012, 05:59 PM
Glad things are settling down for you and your family. The economy has hit many folks extremely hard. Even in our county there are numerous homes under foreclosures, many homes for sell, many just empty especially in Cashiers and Lake Glenville area. Many developments were started but then belly-upped once things got severe. The prices are still high as our tax re-eval hasn't been done. We have the second lowest milage rate in the state with property taxs so we can't complain. Since I work for the county, we haven't had raises in three years but at least we lost no positions as others did.

Sounds like a nice community where you are-hope you can stay for a while until at least Nick as graduated.

cindi
10-27-2012, 06:58 PM
your new home sounds nice! hopefully things will settle in for you now
:)

Christie
10-27-2012, 07:17 PM
I"m glad to things are getting back to normal for you and that so far you seem to like the new house!!

Patty
10-27-2012, 09:38 PM
So glad you are happy where you are...love to hear more about it. Much smaller than the "old" house?? Glad everyone is happy---one day at a time.

RubberLady603
10-28-2012, 07:16 AM
Glad to hear that you like your new home. The best part is that you are all together.

maxiesmom
10-28-2012, 12:38 PM
Glad you are all moved on like your new place. A quiet community is not a bad thing! Don't worry, things will pick up at Thanksgiving, you will be busy and get sales again.

HeatherJ
10-28-2012, 01:33 PM
It must feel nice to start unpacking and making the new place into a home. It sounds lovely, I like nice and quiet! Hope the perfume biz picks up for you.