PDA

View Full Version : OK, Here's my issue with making cards....

Patty
11-08-2012, 04:52 PM
I love to make cards...HOWEVER...I'm tired of using just a solid color base. I see plenty of cards with a printed base...Here is my dilema...I probably own as much if not more paper than any J's, M's ACM's etc. When I try to choose a sheet of it, either purchased loose or from a pad , one big dilema is the reverse side is usually printed also, usually with an unsuitable color/design for the inside etc. When I receive these from my beloved Shackies, I love them!. But they never look right when I try to do that. So here is my question...When you use a sheet of paper for the card base, do you use a particular brand? (I notice that some of them are plain white on the (inside), or at least a solid color, preferable coordinated with the reverse/front of the card. but the large majority are not.) I seem to be drawn to K& Company but do own quite a few of the other brands. Is there a certain brand you use for the card bases? What am I missing?

maxiesmom
11-08-2012, 05:11 PM
I don't know what to tell ya, I always use solid paper. And I don't think I have seen a card with a pp card base which was also double sided. I actually think the inside design would have to be very subtle to not compete with the message written inside.

Christie
11-08-2012, 05:13 PM
I always use a solid base too. If I don't want the base to be the most visible thing then I'll use pp to cover most of it up and just leave the tinest little border showing.

Far North
11-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Most of the time the printed paper is not a substantial weight to be the card base. Most people use a plain color for the base and many times the printed paper is used as a background mat that covers almost all of the front of the card base except for 1/4 to 1/16 border all the way around. The new Spellbinder's dies cut the background mats perfectly and can provide a nice embossed line for a border too. If you use the printed paper for the mats it does not matter about the backside. However, sometimes the back side print is indeed a nice complimentary combination and can be used elsewhere in the design of the card.

Paula Carden
11-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Yep...what Jan said. I use a solid base altho I have seen a few cards with a printed inside that are of the heavier weight. My favorite two cardstock brands for base weight are GinaK Base weight cardstock and The Paper Cut.

Patty
11-08-2012, 11:15 PM
hmm, I try to use cardstock weight for the card base...and I have every color I can find of the solid cardstock paper. But I see cards where the base is a print (i.e. in those 12x12 pads), and then they embellish from there...it always looks so professional.

Far North
11-08-2012, 11:36 PM
Patty-if you want an image on the 1/4" border that shows you could stamp something that goes with your design...test color inks too.

Patty
11-08-2012, 11:53 PM
That's a good idea...I'm gonna try that tomorrow....thanks....i'll let you know how I make out!!

cindi
11-09-2012, 12:06 AM
I like 2 sided papers..I do not use them for my card base though..I use my 110 pound cardstock for my bases, the use the heavy 2 sided papers as layers over that..
does that make sense?

loobylou
11-09-2012, 06:17 AM
Most patterned papers are not strong enough or a card base., One of the brands that is stronger is "Authentique".If you don't like the inside design make a paper insert from copy paper.

Patty
11-09-2012, 05:47 PM
I like 2 sided papers..I do not use them for my card base though..I use my 110 pound cardstock for my bases, the use the heavy 2 sided papers as layers over that..
does that make sense? Yes, I can follow, and that's pretty much what I do...I'm gonna try some of these suggestions...maybe it's me, I always think everyone else's cards are sooo beautiful!!
'

ccstampin12
11-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Patty,
I sometimes use the Bo Bunny double dots or maybe it's shadow dots papers.
They are subtle dots on the front and a very subtle coordinating back...very suitable for the inside.
Hope this helps.

Patty
11-10-2012, 01:11 PM
I know this sounds lame, but I never knew that the various companies that make our paper, i.e. K& Co, BoBunny etc, name their pads...I was shopping with a friend and she picked up a pad and put it back. She said she already had it and quoted the name. I can never remember which ones I have.

cindi
11-10-2012, 05:06 PM
I know this sounds lame, but I never knew that the various companies that make our paper, i.e. K& Co, BoBunny etc, name their pads...I was shopping with a friend and she picked up a pad and put it back. She said she already had it and quoted the name. I can never remember which ones I have.

lol..me either..I may recognize the patterns, but hardly ever the name
:)

directmailscrapper
11-10-2012, 05:59 PM
I usually make card FRONTS and affix them to white card bases. That uses less "good" paper and means I don't have to add a white panel inside to write on. That way you can use a printed paper as your primary paper and not worry about whether or not the back is also printed!