PDA

View Full Version : Major increases in US postage rates

Far North
01-21-2013, 09:38 PM
These increases in postage costs could possibly effect some of our swapping and bingo. Below is a notice I just received from Frantic Stamper a favorite online store for many stampers explains what it means for her customers:

Postage Rate Increase

The US Postal Service has just announced a rate increase effective January 27th, 2013. This increase affect all classes of mail with some significant increases for international mail.

The biggest price increases are for First Class packages to Canada, and all “Flat Rate” mailing options to Canada and other international destinations. Some of the increases are as high as 90%! USA mail prices are also rising, but on a much smaller scale.

We are very surprised (and disappointed) at some of the new rates. We know this will affect all our Canadian and overseas customers. Unfortunately, we have no control over this.

Here are a few examples of new rates:
A Flat Rate envelope to Canada currently costs $12.95. The new rate as of Sunday will be $19.95! This is a 54% increase!
A first class parcel weighing 4 ounces to Canada currently costs $3.45. The new rate will be $6.45. (87% increase!)
A Medium Flat Rate box to Europe is currently $47.95. The new rate will be $59.95. (25% increase)

Again, USA rates are going up too. Thankfully, they are not going up as much. USA rates for a Medium Flat Rate Priority box are going up a little over $1, and rates by weight are increasing approximately 6% to 10%.

If you are planning on placing an order in the next few days, please keep in mind that we WILL be turning on the new postal rates as of Thursday (January 24th) to allow us the time to process orders for shipping on Monday at the new higher prices. If we are able to ship your order BEFORE the rates increase, we will refund any difference.

PLEASE try to place your orders before Thursday (or as soon as possible) to have the current rates, and to allow us time to pull and pack your order.

I’m very sorry to see the rates go up as much as they are. I, for one, do not understand how they can justify these increases… but my hands are tied. We will be shopping around with different services in the near future to see if there is a better shipping solution for our international customers.

Paula Carden
01-22-2013, 05:02 AM
WOW to bad for the international mail, that will hurt businesses in the USA shipping overseas for sure.

RubberLady603
01-22-2013, 05:24 AM
That really stinks for all of our friends in other countries! They are going to price themselves right out of business.

HeatherJ
01-22-2013, 10:06 AM
That is a big jump! YIkes! My online shopping may be curtailed somewhat. You gals will have to instruct me on how many stamps to add to my swaps now too. I think I put 3 of the "P" ones in for a business envie with atcs coming back. Would 4 cover the increase?

cindi
01-22-2013, 10:08 AM
wow, that is huge. I wonder if a private shipping compant will be the cheaper way out and if so..the USPS will lose a lot of business..not a good way to generate revenue..dumb @sses

Far North
01-22-2013, 12:12 PM
I doubt even with the price increases if federal express will do any better. Their rates to Alaska are a huge jump over USPS.

Unfortunately our postal service has been loosing billions of dollars monthly and do need to make some changes but much of how they operate as a business is regulated by congress. So it does not make for user friendly changes.

loobylou
01-23-2013, 05:10 AM
Oh yes our parcel rate went up this year already . There is no longer a small international parcel rate. (up to 250g) The large parcel rate is now charged on any parcel up to 500grams (half a pound)