PDA

View Full Version : Tickets bought for Atlanta!

HeatherJ
07-05-2013, 06:37 AM
Folks say I am crazy for going to Atlanta for a literacy conference in August but it allows me time to see the city beforehand and the school board pays for my flight and hotel this way.

Mom is going with me. We are staying downtown, at the Westin. Looking forward to seeing all the sights.

Paula Carden
07-05-2013, 07:33 AM
The world of Coca Cola is there not far away and the Underground Atlanta is right there at the entrance of World of Coke. Atlanta will be hot and humid. Have fun! The Fox Theatre is right close by and they have Broadway Productions. It is very nice.

Nancy
07-05-2013, 09:35 AM
Take walking shoes- even the airport is huge and have fun. - Nancy

cindi
07-05-2013, 11:09 AM
cool! have fun!!
:)

Paula Carden
07-05-2013, 12:20 PM
Yes the airport is huge and if arriving on the international (new terminal) side be prepared for an extra, extra, extra long walk through to baggage claim. It takes a long time to get there. No tram!! You sure don't want a lot to carry because of the distance. If domestic than the tram is available.

HeatherJ
07-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the warning. I assume we will be coming into the international one since our 1 stop is in Toronto.

RubberLady603
07-05-2013, 12:24 PM
That sounds like fun. Awesome that your Mom is going with you.

lakeslady
07-05-2013, 12:46 PM
What a wonderful opportunity, and great that you get to take your Mum with you....enjoy.

Patty
07-05-2013, 07:22 PM
Have a wonderful, fun and safe trip!!

maxiesmom
07-06-2013, 10:57 PM
That sounds great and even better if not all of the cost is on you! I would take advantage of it as well, you don't always get the opportunity.

jazzypurple853
07-07-2013, 07:37 AM
Enjoy your trip!

Deborah
07-19-2013, 11:09 PM
Georgia's FABULOUS...it'll be HOT in the summertime...hope you find some great crafty shops Heather!

tojoco
07-22-2013, 08:11 AM
Heather, my son goes to college at Georgia Tech in Atlanta and he said to be sure to visit the Atlanta Aquarium. It's a little expensive but well worth it. He didn't like The World of Coke which is right across from the aquarium. If you're a history buff, visiting the home of Margaret Mitchell, author of "Gone with the Wind" is a must. This was where she wrote the book, and the apartment that she and her husband lived in is in tact and exactly as it was long ago. If it's food you're after you must visit The Varsity. I copied this right from their website . . . Welcome to The Varsity! The World's Largest Drive-in Restaurant. We have been serving customers here in Atlanta since 1928. People from all over the world come to experience The Varsity because there is nothing like it anywhere! We invite you to explore, learn about our history and reminisce. This is a fast-food restaurant that serves your typical hot dogs, hamburgers, french fries, etc. but when in Atlanta it's a must visit. Heather, this is right on the Georgia Tech campus and right from The Varsity you can see the huge torch from the 1996 summer Olympics. Corey, my son also wants me to tell you to ABSOLUTELY NOT go to the underground Atlanta because it's very dangerous. If a 23 year old won't go there you know you don't want to either. I have been to the places I told you about and had a great time. I'll be going back again in December when he graduates. I hope you have a wonderful time; and if you have any other questions, just ask me. He'll be back at school in 2 weeks.

HeatherJ
07-22-2013, 09:24 AM
Thanks, Joanne. I have been reading a lot on the sights to see and read a lot about the aggressive panhandlers and crime around the downtown. It does make me a little hesitant about walking the few blocks to the nearby attractions as I had planned. I had heard to avoid the Underground so good to know that is confirmed. We are staying at the Westin Peachtree, where the conference is bring held and the aquarium and World of Coke are not far but if I have to avoid folks blocking my way it will be cabs all the way. I think Mom will enjoy the pool and room for the time I am in conference. :)