PDA

View Full Version : Ssort of a scary thing happened at my house yesterday

Patty
08-11-2013, 10:13 PM
My dgs was with me for the weekend and my doorbell rang (Saturday afternoon). We went to the door and a man was there with a notebook. He said he was from Cablevision and wanted to then he mumbled something I didn't understand. So, in my normal "attitude" I said "are you selling something?" and he continued to mumble. (was he hoping I opened the door at that point?) I said that this is a condo and there is no soliciting here. Go away!" and I closed the door.

My dgs who was standing beside me said geesh, Gramma, you were rude. So I said he doesn't belong here and I don't want him coming back! I picked up the phone to talk to the police. The officer told me they had another complaint about this. Asked me what he looked like and verified the address. He had a blue hat on. In the meantime Peter googled cablevision door to door sales and a notice came up that said they have no door to door business and these people were fraud.

At that point, Peter and I went out to let the neighbors know. We told quite a few as it was a Sat pm and many were coming and going. One neighbor told Peter that 2 came to their place and gave them a pamphlet with a name and number on it. Later in the day I took it to the Police station...he took the pamphlet and said he'd follow it up. who knows...keep your storm door locked when you are home and don't let strangers in!!!:nah:

cindi
08-11-2013, 10:16 PM
wow..yes scary..i am glad you handled it well and were not alone..seriously some people seem to work harder at not working than if they just earned an honest living..sigh
:)

Paula Carden
08-12-2013, 04:34 AM
It is scary and I am glad you were rude!! Who knows what he would have done. Another reason to keep your doors locked-esp the outer door so that you don't have to open it. Be safe!!

HeatherJ
08-12-2013, 08:20 AM
Well done to have your wits about you and on alert for scams like that!

lakeslady
08-12-2013, 06:28 PM
Well done Patty. I never let call callers get further than a few words.
I point to the notice that we have on our door and pointed ask them if they are able to read.
The notice says, "Cold Callers are not welcome here, so please don't bother to knock on our door".
And still they try......................

iloveflipflops
08-15-2013, 08:01 AM
I don't open the door if Charlie isn't home. Of course, the dogs go beserk so that usually tells them no thanks :).

Patty
08-16-2013, 05:20 PM
Oh Sherri....you're lucky....I don't have a Charlie! So I just snarl at them.

Nancy
08-17-2013, 10:22 PM
It is the telephone that irks me, I put our name on the Do Not Call list but the same ones still call, Now I answer the phone What are you selling in not to nice voice, most of my friends call on the cell phone. So I am also thinking of giving up the land line. - Nancy

ngreek
08-18-2013, 06:12 PM
I have watched way to many episodes of Criminal Minds.. I am cautious as to who and when I open my door.

Patty
08-18-2013, 06:42 PM
I have watched way to many episodes of Criminal Minds.. I am cautious as to who and when I open my door.

I agree with you, Nicole. I love all the detective and forensic shows....and I don't worry about being "polite" when a salespestperson calls me to sell something. I hate that!!!