PDA

View Full Version : All Stampers are welcome at The Shack!!

Sherry
01-26-2007, 09:13 AM
Hello everyone,

After a very busy day of running errands, I logged on to the website and found my PM/email box full of messages regarding a post that was removed by one of our moderators. Unfortunately, I did not have a chance to read the posting before it was removed so I really have no idea what was said to cause such uproar. I have a general idea of what happened and, because of the emails and PM's that I received; I think it is important that we bring this issue to the table.

First of all, let me explain why the post was removed. Moderators for The Stamp Shack are instructed to close or remove any posts that they feel are taking on a negative tone. Erin saw that this thread was going down hill very quickly and decided that it would be best if the post were removed. I have absolutely no problem with this - she was simply doing her "job" and, at the time, she felt it was the right thing to do in the best interest of the website. What's done is done and I support Erin in her choice.

Because of the post, some users, particularly those who prefer the more artistic side of stamping, feel unwelcome at The Stamp Shack and think that we cater only to the "cutesy" type stamps. I just want it to be known that The Stamp Shack embraces stampers of EVERY stamping style and every stamping level. Whether you simply dabble in the art of rubber stamping or are a die-hard stamping artist, please know that you are most welcome on this website!

While I intended the Stamp Shack to be a place where you can express your thoughts freely, without being flamed, I think it is also important that we, as a group, be respectful and considerate of others, not only in a polite sense of the word but also in regards to differing stamping styles, opinions and levels. Let's take the negative tone of this post and turn it into something positive. We can reflect on this post and consider it a lesson in tolerance, consideration and tact. We now understand that there are many levels and variations in rubber stamping and we all have something to learn and to offer one another. Let's move on and let this misunderstanding die. Let's lose any hard feelings we may have and go back to being the friendly, supportive community that we have the reputation of being. You amazing ladies make The Stamp Shack what it is!

ctmhgirl
01-26-2007, 09:22 AM
I must have missed this excitement.

keltie
01-26-2007, 09:58 AM
Guess I missed it too.
That's one of the things I really like about the shack, the wide variety of Styles, from an every growing membership. I admire work that differs from mine,and it may even spark me to try something new. By the number of positive comments in the gallery , I think most of you love the variety. Everyone keep posting please. Thanks Heather

Spartymom
01-26-2007, 10:01 AM
I missed the topic too. I always feel welcome here, and glad that Erin did feel the need to remove something that didn't feel right to the Shack. Kim

MidwestStamper
01-26-2007, 10:03 AM
Well, I've been without a computer at home and I'm catching up today at work--so I missed this. I've seen all kinds of styles of stamping here in the Gallery and have never had the impression that this site favored any particular style!

mahodgman
01-26-2007, 10:03 AM
I must have missed whatever prompted this post too, but I'd like to make a comment about the topic. I really appreciate the fact that we have moderators here to step in when things get out of hand. One of the things I dislike about other message boards is that they are either too big for a moderator to keep up with or it takes them forever to even notice a big cat fight that is going on, so the damage is done by the time they act. There is no way to please everyone in this world, that's for sure. All you can do is your best. I would hope that we would all do our best to make every stamper feel welcome here and embrace our differences be it in style, taste or skill.

Erin K
01-26-2007, 10:10 AM
Before everyone deciedes they are thankful I deleted the thread let me say I regret it. Deborah, Jennifer and Ethel had put posts that really were positive and would have turned the course of the thread. What positive things did they say? Well you don't know because I deleted it in my haste. I did try to do the right thing and I'm thankful Sherry supports my decision but that doesn't mean it was the right decision. I ment no disrespect to anyone who posted on the thread by deleting it.

I feel pretty awful about the whole thing (it was me who STARTED the negativity although that was never my intention) and how I handled it.

directmailscrapper
01-26-2007, 10:20 AM
Hey -- you are all volunteers. We appreciate your time and your dedication. Don't lose any sleep or waste any time worrying about what decision you made -- you made it. This isn't brain surgery and hopefully everyone on the board is an adult and won't take it personally or stew over it!

I would personally like to thank Sherry and Erin and the other moderators for making this such a great place to visit! You guys are the best!

Nancy

teabear
01-26-2007, 10:24 AM
Erin, please don't feel bad about your decision. You did what you thought was best for our site. I love it here because this is such a positive place. I come here to escape negativity and play for a while. Thanks for keeping up with everything and keeping this a fun place to play. BTW...I didn't see the post either, but I appreciate the work all the moderators and Sherry do to keep it all rolling along.

flyingflower
01-26-2007, 10:38 AM
We've all seen what happened at other places when moderators DIDN'T act quickly and a whole lot of feelings got hurt. I am so glad we can address messages to a real person here! Good job Sherry, Erin & all the other folks who make this place a great spot to hang out.

patg
01-26-2007, 11:15 AM
Erin, you did the right job. And besides, it is only a job! This place is meant for people to come and chat and get support and all that jazz. Don't feel bad for what you did and for what you thought was right. You and the other moderators are all doing a GREAT job!

Keep up the good work!
Pat

Swanie78
01-26-2007, 12:32 PM
I think I know which thread you are talking about, and even though I participated, I got to thinking afterwards that those on the opposite side might feel bad. Unfortunately, I didnt go back to correct myself or my post, and then I forgot about it.
Im sorry if my comments hurt the feelings of anyone on that thread. I was just talking to a SU demo the other day talking about how my taste differs from some stampers, in that I like the clean/cutesy type stamps. Where as my aunt likes all the images that you color and do detail work. I dont like to work that hard :D My aunt(and now this thread) has made me realize that even though we enjoy the same hobby, we are on two different sides of it, and that I should be more tolerant of products I dont like, because somewhere someone loves those products and thinks the same about the stuff I enjoy!

smileycollector
01-26-2007, 12:48 PM
Thankfully, I missed out on this thread too, but want to say that I LOVE it here at the STAMP SHACK because it is a genuinely friendly and creative place to be. I sincerely appreciate your efforts Sherry and Erin and I'm so grateful for all you do to keep it this way!!! Bless you and SMILES to you today!!! Pam :)

dgbearsmom
01-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Well, I guess I missed all the excitement too. I am very new to stamping and often feel like my work is just okay - not great like some other people here - but I have never felt unwelcome. My style is not at all cutesy, but I have never thought that this site caters only to that style. I feel like I fit in just as much as anyone else here. I think this is a wonderful site and I truly appreciate all the encouragement, instruction and support that I get from my friends here.

I appreciate all the work the moderators and creative team members do. And I truly appreciate you, Sherry, for providing us such a fun and supportive environment to share our wonderful hobby.

Judy