PDA

View Full Version : Using gamsol with other colored pencilsl

ranaleigh
01-27-2007, 07:31 AM
Does gamsol work with other colored pencils? Specifically crayola? I don't want to invest in prismacolor just yet, but want to try gamsol.

moosemama
01-27-2007, 07:46 AM
my experience using the crayolas-yes it does work, but the color from the pencils doesn't seem to blend as smoothly. I also had to go over my image to shade a couple times. I found that the prismas gave a more intense color. I had bought one prisma and used it with my crayolas(I guess I didn't have a color I needed) and I could definately tell the difference between that prisma and the crayolas. Maybe if you could try buying just one or two(if you are able to do that) of the prismas and decide if it's worth it to you. Hope this helps!

Paula Carden
01-27-2007, 07:52 AM
I agree with Moosemama-it does work but the intensity of the color maybe a little less. I have just a few prisma pencils and most of mine Crayola or other brands. But the gamasol smooths it out and makes it look better. I use the blending stumps with mine too.
Good luck
Paula

Erin K
01-27-2007, 10:47 AM
Not to be a big nerd but... the reason it doesn't work as well and the reason people love prismacolor is because there is pigment and binder in the pencils so it's wax with most colored pencils and cheaper kinds have more wax which is cheaper than the more expensive kinds do. So it does work but when you use the gamsol to break down the binder in the crayola you are not left with as much pigment to spread around.

That being said, a while back I did a sample using gamsol and prismacolors and the same colors and image with Crayola. Here it is. (http://www.papercraftsmag.com/gallery/details.ihtml?idx=27908) So you see you definately can do it. :)

ranaleigh
01-28-2007, 03:44 PM
Well, I just tried the gamsol with the crayolas. I'm excited and I like it. I'm not ready to invest in the prismas yet because I'm sure that I'll need the big honkin set of 48 and just don't want to fork over the dough. I'm now saving for Disneyland in March!

craftyd
01-29-2007, 10:34 AM
The gamsol sounds like fun but I haven't wanted to spend the money to get all the Prisma's either since I have the pencils and also watercolor crayons. Hope you have fun with it. Can't wait to see what you make.

GSMom385
01-31-2007, 09:38 PM
Glad for the gamsol advice, I just love the results after stumbling on to it at new stamp store I discovered in my travels. I had a small set of prismas so after playing with gamsol I had to use some of my bonus to purchase a larger set, but I am really disappointed it seems like the set I purchased were dropped because the lead keeps breaking when I sharpen the pencils, like it is broken inside the pencil. Has anyone else had this happen?? It isn't all of them but I have had two pencils I had to sharpen almost half way to get to good lead.

spredbirds
01-31-2007, 09:50 PM
Thanks for sharing the comparison Erin .. I need to try the gamsol technique. - Chelsea

hutchink
01-31-2007, 10:24 PM
Yes GSMom385, my prisma's did the same thing...it wasn't all of them either. I did get an electric pencil sharpen and that has made a world of difference. I have not gotten the gamsol yet though.

~K

LJ-BRONS1
01-31-2007, 11:57 PM
I just got my first set of prismas today, a set of 24 For 13.99, I haven't got the gamsol yet, or the stumps... But Im already loving them...

scrappinnuts
02-01-2007, 12:01 AM
I got mine today also.. set of 48..came with the Verithin and crayons and another set..Waiting for my Gamsol..can't wait to play...have fun with yours.

Bearingfruit
02-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Try e-bay. I got 48 for only $4 and shipping. they were seconds (some of the lables were not printed or the wrong paint color on the outside. I got them from paintbrush man on ebay. To try out the seconds work just fine for me. Yes they are prisma's. a couple were broken and he replaced them. What a deal for starting out.

Blessings,
Pam