PDA

View Full Version : Prismacolor advice...

Deborah
01-27-2007, 09:32 AM
Okay artistes! After seeing your wonderful colouring in the gallery, I'm ready to invest in a set of Prismacolour Pencils, and to invest in the time to learn to use them. I have a question, are the Prismacolours y'all have been using "ordinary" pencils, or are they the watercolours? Any other advice appreciated before I buy!

Thanks!

teabear
01-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Hi Deborah,
I'm with you. I don't have any yet, but know now that I need some after all the fantastic artwork in the gallery. They use regular prismas, not watercolors.
Tami

dgbearsmom
01-27-2007, 09:41 AM
Hi Deborah. I am by no means an Prisma expert, but here's what I know. They are not watercolor pencils. They are a wax-based colored pencil. I think they are wax-based anyway. I could be wrong about that and someone can correct me if I am. Many people find that they blend very nicely on their own. Some like to use gamsol with a blending stump to blend them. I actually use my SU blender pens with them and like that. I just don't have any Gamsol, so I haven't tried that yet. Debbie S. (1of2shoes) does beautiful work with Prismas and can probably give you some great advice. One thing she told me was that they work best if you color with them on a paper that has a bit of texture to it. Not watercolor paper - that's too rough. I have used Bristol Vellum and she uses some paper she gets at her LSS, but I don't know the brand or type.

HTH
Judy

Vintagegal
01-27-2007, 10:12 AM
No....Judy, you're right. Prismas are waxed based. When you use it with gamsol (or oderless mineral spirits) the gamsol breaks down the wax.... thereby allowing you to "blend" or "move" the colors. But, of course, you can use the Prismas without having to use gamsol.

As far as paper goes, I actually prefer the smoothest paper I can find (I have Bristol smooth), when using gamsol. If I'm doing straight coloring (no gamsol), I'll go for paper with a little more texture.

Here is a link from Sanford/Premier. Jennifer had shared a link like this a few weeks ago. I think you'll find it useful for some of your coloring projects:

http://www.prismacolor.com/sanford/consumer/prismacolor/mystudio/flashPopup.jhtml?flash=pencil.swf

scrappinnuts
01-27-2007, 10:24 AM
Wow Ethel..thanks for the Web site..very interesting..I am waiting for my Prisma colors to come..and the gamsol..didn't order the eraser though..maybe I should go back and order it..can't wait to play. Thanks for the info.

dgbearsmom
01-27-2007, 11:48 AM
As far as paper goes, I actually prefer the smoothest paper I can find (I have Bristol smooth), when using gamsol. If I'm doing straight coloring (no gamsol), I'll go for paper with a little more texture.

See, Ethel knows way more than me. When Debbie recommended the paper with some texture, she was referring to blending the colors without the use of Gamsol. Ethel is right that if you are blending with Gamsol then a smooth texture is better.

Judy

smileycollector
01-27-2007, 01:18 PM
Thank you Judy and Ethel for explaining this for us. I've been playing with my prismas, but have a LOT to learn yet!! The video was a great way to help me understand the different products and uses. Smiles, Pam :)

Deborah
01-27-2007, 03:02 PM
I just KNEW I'd get great advice here!

I was about tp pick some up yesterday, but there were teo different sets, one was watercolour, and I wasn't sure whether they were the ones everyone was using. I do have Derwent watercolour pencils, so I really didn't want to invest in "more of the same."

I'm so glad I asked!

Thanks everyone. Thanks for the link too Ethel...GREAT one!

Canadian, eh
01-29-2007, 03:29 PM
Gee Ethel, you are a wealth of knowledge. You're always popping up with tips. After seeing all the gorgeous work on the gallery, I too am convinced I need Prismacolours too!