PDA

View Full Version : Some of my SU markers are drying up, what do i do?

iloveflipflops
01-27-2007, 03:56 PM
I have only had them for maybe 6-9 months I think and the smaller end of them are drying up.... Can I do something to save them???

smileycollector
01-27-2007, 03:59 PM
How do you have them stored Sherri? I've read not to store them on end. They should last much longer than that, unless you've used them a LOT.

Erin K
01-27-2007, 04:03 PM
I'm suprised! I have had my impress and tombow for a few years now and no drying! I don't use them quite as much though, are these colors you use a ton? They can't last forever. Do you think you used up the ink or that they are mysteriously drying up? If you are using it up then you just have to replace them I think, if they are mysteriously drying up maybe they can be reconstituted someone might know?

workin4stamps
01-27-2007, 04:13 PM
no way!! I've had mine for years and have not had any problems. Oh no!!! Have you been storing them laying down all the time???

Traci

Erin K
01-27-2007, 04:15 PM
She has that little thingie that holds them on their sides. Isn't that the right way? Maybe she's using them up? I'm so concerned because I know sherri loves those markers.

maybe Emily stole them and made a poster again?

iloveflipflops
01-27-2007, 05:02 PM
Hey, that's it Erin ... her and Tyler both write love letter posters to each other! Ha ha

I swear I have been storing them right BUT while in FL, I stored them WRONG. I had them on the wrong side.... I will see what i can do ....

moosemama
01-27-2007, 05:50 PM
If I am not mistaken, can't those markers be refilled with the reinkers? I thought someone told me that....

suzi_f
01-28-2007, 06:46 AM
I got this in an email yesterday. Talk about happy coincidence!!!

"First let me say that SU! does NOT endorse doing this. It is just something some that can be done to extend the life of the markers. You do this at the risk of ruining the marker and thereby having to replace it anyway.

Re-ink Marker Technique #1: Carefully and gently remove the wide tip of the marker. Fill a small container with the coordinating color of re-inker. Place the brush tip of the marker that you've removed into the container that has the re-inker fluid in. Allow to soak from 10 minutes to 24 hours depending on how dry the tip was. Add several amounts of re-inker to the barrel of the marker. Re-insert the brush tip into the barrel of the marker. Do so gently and carefully.

Re-ink Marker Technique #2: Another way that has been suggested by a long-time demonstrator is as follows: Don't remove the tip from the barrel at all! If you put some re-inker into a clear film canister and let the marker sit in it for a while the marker will suck up all the ink it needs. Then wipe the tip replace the cap and allow the marker to rest flat this will allow the ink to travel to the small tip as well. It's a lot less messy!"

mydogstinks2
01-28-2007, 08:02 AM
I keep mine flat! Is that what your suppost to do?

iloveflipflops
01-28-2007, 08:08 AM
Yes which I normally do but while we were in FL, i didn't pay attention to them and had them going any which way. So now they are laying flat again with the handle up (in the case) so we'll see if that helps.... I love my SU markers. I use them every single day!!

dreis1
01-28-2007, 08:58 AM
I also love mu SU markers. I have refilled mine with the #1 tip listed above. The problem I run into is the tip breaks down even though I do not press on the tip. When this happens and the tip is not standing up properly, I gently pull the tip out and turn it upside down and put it back in. This tip is smaller and it takes longer to cover but buys you some more time with the marker. It gets you thru until you can get another one ordered. You have to turn the tip back to put the cover on because it wont close properly with the tip turned this way. Sometimes I just have to breakdown and buy a new marker. FTF Glinda

Nancy
01-28-2007, 10:23 AM
If they didn't write anymore, I just keep throwing out one pen at a time. I have had mine for about 8 years. - Nancy

kerry
01-28-2007, 10:26 AM
You can also place your markers in a sealed container with a wet cloth. Keep them in there (with marker tops removed) for a few days. The moisture will soak up the moisture from the wet cloth.

Kerry