PDA

View Full Version : MK consultants....imput please

Inkyhands
01-28-2007, 01:03 PM
Like I had posted a few days ago I got my make-over and I loved the products. So she gave me the low-down about selling and I am considering it. So I would love to hear from you all about what you like, dislike, pros, cons and so on.
Also I would like to hear from anyone who really just does it for the discount, how does that work out for you?

inkinupstamps
01-28-2007, 01:35 PM
The products are great.
When I was selling the whole MK business was too "cult-ish" for my tastes.
The discount (at least as you had to purchase at that time) didn't make it worth my while to sell.

I guess I'm not the best person to encourage you. I do think MK makes great makeup. It was the business side that had SO MANY rules and no-nos and, as I said, was cult like to MK when you attended the conventions, that I was completely turned off.

stampinmom3
01-28-2007, 02:31 PM
I also used to be an MK consultant. I still faithfully use the products. They really are good in my opinion. When I could give a lot of time, I was doing okay,but when I went back to work and couldn't dedicate as much time it became more difficult. My struggle was in having the right items in my inventory. I couldn't purchase a huge amount, so it seemed that anytime someone needed to order something I never had the exact colors they needed. It was always a guessing game trying to figure out which to keep in stock since I couldn't keep a few of each. Just my opinion. Some women do amazingly well with it! At our weekly meetings everyone was even expected to dress in the same colors. I thought that was a BIT much!

ChristyR
01-28-2007, 02:39 PM
hi i also was a mk consultant for 2 years and i really did like it while i was in it i mainly done it for my discount i mean you can't beat excellent makeup and skin care for 1/2 off. i wasn't doing much and my mom still sells it so i just got out of it and take advantage of her discount. you are req. to sell $200 wholesale every quarter so sometimes that was a bit much for me but usually 1-2 parties could make that with no problem. I say go for it if you are thinking of it and then if you don't like it then just get out and you will still have the great products from your kit for you to use. let me know if you have any more questions and i will be happy to help you out. GOOD LUCK

stampcrazyjulie
01-28-2007, 05:56 PM
April...I am in it for the discount for myself. I have not gone to any of the meetings. I kind of was tricked into signing up before I knew the ins & outs....you have to go to meeting once a week, pay like $7.00 to go & you have to wear a black skirt & pink top. I have niether & I didn't think I should have to pay to go to meetings, so I have never gone.

At start up I felt pressured to order an $1,800.00 intro kit. Had I known now I would have bought the smaller $600.00 kit. I was all about the make-up, but found I like the skin care stuff tons!

Would you believe I never washed my face before I started selling Mary Kay almost a year ago? I mean I washed it with a wet wipe but never with quality stuff. Nobody ever told me how great it is! Now I use the whole miracle line every morning & night, faithfully! Yeah, it's expensive, but I am worth it! Plus it is less then Oil of Olay & Lancomme & other higher end & even cheaper products!

I thought to keep my discount that I hd to order every 60 days. No. You become inactive if you do not order within that time frame, but to re-activate you only have to buy $400.00 retail or $200.00 wholesale as long as it is done within a year's time. (Or less) I haven't ordered since last May. I am going to do an order next month, but I have been holding off because of the Sell-a-bration stuff that I want.

I would say definitely do it for the discount. If you are able to sell it then that is a plus, but I LOVE the skin care line & the Elige Cologne! My DH wears the Men's Domain & he loves it too!

I now use only MK make-up too. I absolutely love it! Did you get some samples? Ask your Lady that Demo'd for you. That's another good thing we can buy samples of some stuff & sometimes it's cheaper to buy several samples then the actual product, but it does not count towards your wholesale order...it's extra.

LMK if you need any other info.... :)

hbpuppy
01-28-2007, 06:22 PM
I've been an MK independent beauty consultant for about 4 years. I signed up because I wanted to make a business investment and get the make-up and skincare that I already used at a discount. My life has changed a lot during the last 4 years and my MK business has changed with it. I've always maintained my discount and I have one recruit. Sometimes I have been really good about going to meetings (not all meetings cost $ and you can go to any directors meeting you want to as often as you want to). I haven't been to a meeting in several months. I keep in touch with my director over the phone and via e-mail. I have a established a good size client base so I get a lot of reorders. I have a website so I get orders on my website. Facials and classes are more time consuming but I have fun and have made some really close friendships through these.

My advice is don't worry too much about the businessy aspect of it. The rules are basically that you can't sell MK on ebay or advertise discounts outside of your client-base or sell MK at a flea market. And keep in mind that you have a director to help you. It seems like a lot of information at first but once you get the hang of it it all makes sense and it gets a lot easier.

You can PM me if you have more questions before or after you decide. Mary Kay is a wonderful company. You might want to read her autobiography. It is really inspirational (and funny too).

cindi
01-28-2007, 06:37 PM
consultant for 10 years now! For the last 2 years I've done no classes just reorders for my regular customers and of course I'm own best customer!!!!LOL
200.00 a yeart will get you your discount, yopu will use that yourself, so it's easy to do.When you first sign up ypur directer will give you info about ordering product. I didn't want to be comitted to a loan so I did it the haed way. I held 5 classes in 2 weeeks, told everyone their products would be in in 3 weeks and thats where the mopney for my first order came from. I like thaty I can do as much or as little as I want.
If you have any questions feel free to ask me,
:)

Inkyhands
01-28-2007, 06:38 PM
She told me they meet once a month and the only other rule really is you have to wear a dress or skirt to the demo's and meetings. Also only a $200.00 order in a year....but that was the one thing I didnt like was the fact that it had to be one big order.

I'm not sure, I might just hold off for now, I just have a mess going on right now. I am going to think about it some more.

cindi
01-28-2007, 06:41 PM
She told me they meet once a month and the only other rule really is you have to wear a dress or skirt to the demo's and meetings. Also only a $200.00 order in a year....but that was the one thing I didnt like was the fact that it had to be one big order.

I'm not sure, I might just hold off for now, I just have a mess going on right now. I am going to think about it some more.

After you place your oder, you can order any smaller amount for the next 2 months. So if you order 200.00 in Feb. and you need to order a lipstick in march..you can. Does that make sense?
:)

stampcrazyjulie
01-28-2007, 09:27 PM
But....if you only order a lipstick or a small purchase you still have to pay the $8.00+ in shipping regardless of the size of your order, & it does not count towards your yearly sales that you have to keep.....

Inkyhands
01-28-2007, 10:25 PM
I talked to her tonight and she told me about the smalle orders after the initial $200.00
She also told me about the flat shipping.

I want to do it but not sure about really demo-ing. The discount would be awesome.
we'll see.
Thanks for all the info girls

ChristyR
01-29-2007, 12:38 PM
am i reading this right to stay active in mk you only have to do $200 a YEAR ??? while i was doing this i had to do $200 wholesale every 3 months