PDA

View Full Version : Clueless: scalloped border question

hbpuppy
02-02-2007, 10:47 PM
Okay, I'm kinda retarded I guess. How do you do the chubby scallop on the border of your cards/stuff? Are you using a punch, scissors, or what? Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://twopeasinabucket.kaboose.com/pg.asp?gallery=1&cmd=display&layout_id=1078287

lost luggage
02-02-2007, 10:48 PM
Wow...that doesn't look like a punch or die to me...you can see a little bit of scissor like edge on the right...I bet that is cut with scissors...regular. Looks really nice though!

Swanie78
02-02-2007, 10:49 PM
I think a lot of people are using the SU notch punch lately.
It might also be a piece of Bazzill cardstock that now comes in the scallop edge cut down.
You could always hand draw and cut out. Or trace something small and round to make the template and cut out.

loobylou
02-02-2007, 11:30 PM
I saw a tutorial on how to do that on a website in the last few days. It's a punch, but you take the paperguard off to make this edge. I'll go look and post a link here when I find it
Sarah

Tantalize
02-02-2007, 11:42 PM
This tutorial should do the trick
(http://littlepinkflowers.typepad.com/little_pink_flowers/2007/01/scalloped_edges.html)

loobylou
02-02-2007, 11:44 PM
There is a scalloped edge tutorial on this website
http://littlepinkflowers.typepad.com/little_pink_flowers/2007/01/scalloped_edges.html
I think I found as a link from someone's blog-maybe Sherri flipflops???

Hope this is what you wanted
Sarah

loobylou
02-02-2007, 11:45 PM
Thanh -we are on the same wavelength

Tantalize
02-02-2007, 11:46 PM
Thanh -we are on the same wavelength

Stampin sistah's separated at birth I tell ya ;) LOL.

Vintagegal
02-03-2007, 08:50 AM
The scalloped edge that you see on some of the AMuse cards, for example, were created using the Clever Lever punches by Marvy. Marvy is sold out of the oval scallop, for now (they're restocking by the end of February).

The scalloped (oval and round) are called GIGA punches, and the solid edge oval and round are called MEGA punches. The GIGA's are approximately 3" from long edge to long edge, while the MEGA's are approximately 2 3/4" from long edge to long edge.

HTH!

teabear
02-03-2007, 10:17 AM
What a beautiful card and such a great tutorial. I almost ordered that slit punch, so now I know I need it! LOL

stampcrazyjulie
02-03-2007, 10:57 AM
She also has some Fabulous Bella Cards if you all get a chance to look around her Blog! :)

suzi_f
02-04-2007, 07:03 AM
Looks like I'll be ordering the slit punch at Fri's SU party. Way cool!

maxiesmom
02-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Really! Makes me think I 'need' one of those slit punches too! I hadn't noticed those cool scallops before, thanks for pointing all this out!

laos348
02-04-2007, 07:10 PM
I just tried this technique today. I hadn't used my notch punch before but now I foresee scallops on everything!

Laura

iloveflipflops
02-04-2007, 07:15 PM
I have this slit punch and I am going to try this. Never thought to do it ... :) Thanks for the tip!!!

loobylou
02-05-2007, 05:04 PM
I peamailed Annette who made this card. Here is her reply
Thanks so much for looking at my card!

I have one of those circle templates (the kind you find in office supply stores). I drew a line with pencil, lined up the template (using the tiny hash marks), and traced half circles across the line. Then, I trimmed to make a scallop. I used the 1" circle, but you could use any size.

Hope that helps!!

Annette

so she didn't do it how we thought-
miss L. Luggage was right all along-she cut it with scissors!! Smarty Pants

lisaguyon
02-05-2007, 05:42 PM
I liked the tutorial and will have to try this with my punch. lisa

Erin K
02-05-2007, 05:50 PM
I still don't get it, this only forms a strip with a scallop on one edge right? So you can layer it under something, but what if I want a scallop on a full card sized sheet? This is not the tool for that right?

doverdi
02-05-2007, 07:44 PM
I don't see why you couldn't use the SU Slit Punch to make a scallop on a full size card sheet. It would just take longer. I love this for making scallops. I even saw a tutorial where they used this punch to make a scalloped oval and it worked like a charm. You have to cut out the center first though.

jdpisces
02-05-2007, 08:02 PM
I have to admit that I always thought that those scalloped borders were just circles punched out and attached behind the card. I mean, I guess you could do that too, with a similar effect...if you don't have that punch.

doverdi
02-05-2007, 10:38 PM
I find that what I do if I want to make a scallop is on the back of the cardstock, I draw a line using my green rubber mat as a guide. Then line the slit punch up along that line and keep punching. My scallops are perfect every time. Just punch the second one as close to the first as you can get. It's so nice to have a punch that has more than one use. Especially considering this isn't a real pricey punch.
The oval scallop would be done by cutting out the inside and using the punch on the inside of your scallop. Of course you would have a smaller oval mat over top of this one which would hide the cut out center.

JBgreendawn
02-06-2007, 10:39 AM
I have also seen this done with a pair of Friskars paper shaper scissors that are named "cloud" but, using the SU slit punch is a little easier to get it in a straight line then doing it free hand with the scissors.

hbpuppy
02-17-2007, 11:59 PM
The saga continues. Here's a LO that used a circle punch. (http://twopeasinabucket.kaboose.com/cg_main.asp?cmd=display&seed_id=23184&source=NL021507)