PDA

View Full Version : We saw Lion King (the musical) today!

Vintagegal
02-03-2007, 06:43 PM
DS had never seen a musical before, so we took him to Disney's Lion King stage production. His choir director had raved and raved about it, when it was in Des Moines last year. So, when we found out last Fall that it was coming to Omaha, DH snatched tickets. We were third row from the front, dead center. The puppets were INCREDIBLE! Even if you've seen the movie a bazillion times (my son was born the year the movie came out), you will just be amazed at how they adapted it for the stage. If it ever comes to your neighborhood, I encourage you NOT to miss it.

inkinupstamps
02-03-2007, 07:18 PM
ETHEL! OMG! I'm so envious! I've never ever heard anything but the most fabulous reviews of the stage production. I've seen snippets of it on TV but oh what a thrill it must have been to have seen it live and in person.

Tell more!!!

WONDERFUL!! :)

Jennifer

Vintagegal
02-03-2007, 08:45 PM
Jennifer, The choreography was incredible! From the VERY beginning, you're caught up in the story. They utilized the theater aisles throughout the production. Characters would walk down the aisle and up the stage for different segments. And, the two side balconies were used too. Each side (left and right) had a percussionist to add more of a "surround" sound effect to the music. The costumes were SPECTACULAR! But, then, it is Disney-produced. So, the costumes were nothing SHORT of just incredible! I loved the special effects, but it can be a problem for people who have epileptic seizures due to flashing light. There's a lot of strobe-effects that goes on. The giraffes, the elephant, the panther, Timone and Pumba...........EVERYTHING was just superb! The voices, the dancing...... I could go on and on and on! I would go back and watch this show again.... and even a third time, if I could!

mommagus
02-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Sounds like you had a good time. I wish that I could have seen it.

mahodgman
02-03-2007, 09:25 PM
This sounds more my speed that the Nutcracker. I took my Girl Scout troop to the ballet this year, and it really wasn't my cup of tea. I'm glad I went, but I really wasn't in to it. This sounds much better to me! I love musicals.

tojoco
02-03-2007, 09:35 PM
OMG, wasn't that phenomenal? The three of us went last year when it came to our theatre. We had center front row seats in the balcony and even those seats were fantastic. Yes, there was so much going on around the whole theatre you didn't know where to look first. The parades between the aisles were wonderful. The music, the colors, the costumes, the acting -- just unreal. We didn't want it to ever end; and yes, I would go to see it again and again and again.

ngreek
02-04-2007, 01:23 PM
I saw it a couple years ago. We went as a family Christmas gift. I think that was one of the best Christmas gifts we gave to the adults and children. I loved all the color on the stage and how they adapted different scenes to still give you the feel as when you watched the movie. Also how the human body can be adapted to be perceived as an animal so elegantly.
Nicole

directmailscrapper
02-04-2007, 02:40 PM
We took my DD about a year and a half ago and we LOVED it! We are going to see Wicked in a couple of weeks -- and we can't wait! My DD and I listen to the music all of the time -- and I read the book (and translated a G-rated version to her). We LOVE live theatre - I'm so glad you enjoyed Lion King!

Nancy

Alli
02-04-2007, 06:18 PM
We took my son to see it in London about 18 months ago, so he would have been 5 at the time and we all loved it, I cried like a baby, it was so beautiful and haunting!