PDA

View Full Version : I know some of you are upset...

Sherry
02-19-2007, 07:54 PM
Hi ladies,

I have been receiving a few PM's and emails from some not-so-happy campers regarding our new membership policy. Please accept my sincerest apologies on this matter but I honestly didn't see any other way around it.

Let's just focus, if we could, on the great things that this website provides. Is it worth $10 per year? You decide.

A welcoming community free of drama, harassment, and spam
A community free of annoying ADS!
A community where you receive (almost immediate) answers and helpful advice to your technical questions and website related problems
A community where it's members are also part of the staff. We have an awesome creative team who's members are rotated every three months so that EVERYONE can have a chance to be part of the Stamp Shack Staff! We also have a newly appointed newsletter committee.
A rockin swap board with a flaker-free policy (might I remind you that not even splitcoast has a swap board like this one!)
An amazing gallery filled with some of the most fantastic work I have ever seen.
A live chat room (another cool addition not always found on other websites)
Free downloadable templates
A card verse database
Cool Contests and Creative Team events that are rewarded with great prizes!
A very cool website owner who bends over backwards to give you anything you ask for. ;)Is all of this worth $10 a year? I think it is :)

mahodgman
02-19-2007, 08:00 PM
Oh for goodness sake! Are these unhappy people trying to tell you that you need to spend your own money on all of this? It seems to me that is what they are saying if they are complaining about having to pay a fee. I'm not looking for drama here, and I almost didn't post this, but come on! Let's get real. All of this costs money, and I don't think you should have to pay for it out of your pocket. We all need to help out if we want to use the site. Simple. If someone can't afford it, email me, I'd be happy to help out, but don't lay a guilt trip on Sherry!

Spartymom
02-19-2007, 08:05 PM
So once I pay, will I get that shack status back with all the bling bling squares. I'm bummed that it changed just like that. The checks in the mail though. Kim

iloveflipflops
02-19-2007, 08:06 PM
Absolutely Positively Without A Doubt

tojoco
02-19-2007, 08:11 PM
Sherry,

Please don't second guess your decision. It was certainly the right one. Your membership fee of $10 is pretty much the bare minimum for everything you've listed above.

Just delete those sad girl's emails and PMs and carry on as if you never read them. Remember, you can't please all the people all the time.

Please give yourself a pat on the back from me for all you do for this website. You rock -- big time!

smileycollector
02-19-2007, 08:19 PM
Mary, you said it SO well!
Sherry, you ARE doing the right thing! Please, do not be discouraged by a few. The $10 fee is not much to ask for all the wonderful benefits offered here. I have no doubt that the majority of us support you 100%! Website costs are tremendous and I've wondered from the very beginning how you could possibly afford to fund this site yourself! You were kind enough to create this unique creative community for us, the least we can do is help support it financially! Smiles, Pam :)

Erin K
02-19-2007, 08:21 PM
Well worth it. :)

veronica
02-19-2007, 08:32 PM
oh my gosh, sherry worth every bit of 10.00 and then some. If at any time we need more money for whatever reason........ just let us know. I am all in!!!!!!! I mean where else can you get what we all have here? Just the friendships alone are worth the money to me. I mean where else can you say.....Hey does anyone have xyz stamp and will you stamp some images for me and 20 people answer and say YES YES YES? No where I have ever been...but here I had tons saying yes yes yes. I have met some great people here and well, to me that is what is the word????? oh Yeah
PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!
hugs Veronica

hutchink
02-19-2007, 08:36 PM
It is well worth the money! Sherry please do not second guess your self!

~K

Far North
02-19-2007, 08:37 PM
I agree it is worth $10...and more!
Here's a hug Sherry and a BIG THANKS too!
...Jan

teabear
02-19-2007, 08:45 PM
I finally got my paypal straightened out today just for this. Totally worth it for me :) Thanks for keeping it going, Sherry.

ctmhgirl
02-19-2007, 08:45 PM
It is worth it to me.

GrammaStamper
02-19-2007, 08:46 PM
I just tuned in after being away, saw the front page, read Sherry's reasons and went straight to PayPal. Now I'm going to find out what the heck has been occuring over the past 6 days.

Sherry, you have made this site worth more than $10/year. I will gladly pay it and I tried to see if I could select a 2-year membership! If those unhappy campers drop out of the membership, we will miss them, but those that happily pay the membership will make this place a super-duper, ultra-fantastic place to get together.

Erin K
02-19-2007, 08:49 PM
Are those who do not choose to join and pay going to magicly drop off our ongoing swaps like the Flood swap?

iupindiana
02-19-2007, 08:53 PM
The lack of ads alone makes it worth the $. Everything else is pure bonus. Thanks for your speedy resolution to the problem. JoAnn

emmcee
02-19-2007, 08:56 PM
I also agree that $10 is a more than fair for us to share to be able to continue to get the benefits we have on this site. Don't second guess yourself Sherry.

Erin K
02-19-2007, 09:10 PM
Seriously I went over to PC today to find out more about the recent bad news (no more news there than here) and I was so annoyed by the ads and having to scroll. It's fine, you did the right thing.

ccstampin12
02-19-2007, 09:45 PM
I agree with what everyone has said. It's sad that, for whatever reasons, some of our friends here have chosen not to join. But, you have to do what you have to do, and I know many of us are right here loving every minute of this site!
Thanks...
Joanie

shuggy
02-19-2007, 10:37 PM
Sherry,

Please don't second guess your decision. It was certainly the right one. Your membership fee of $10 is pretty much the bare minimum for everything you've listed above.

Just delete those sad girl's emails and PMs and carry on as if you never read them. Remember, you can't please all the people all the time.

Please give yourself a pat on the back from me for all you do for this website. You rock -- big time!

well put!! you will never please everyone. you have done a fantastic job and this is techinally your board...so you can do what you need to do!!

ngreek
02-20-2007, 01:09 AM
I just want to add a ditto to all of the comments posted earlier.

Nicole

Deborah
02-20-2007, 01:17 AM
Same here. You took a stand and did what needed to be done to keep your delightful site going. Those who are joining clearly do not expect you to pay for site maintenance out of your own pocket, we're glad to be able to help...makes it that much more "ours."

Kudos to you for reaching your decision, we all know how difficult it's been for you.

loobylou
02-20-2007, 04:04 AM
Hey there Fellow Shackies,
I don't think we should be MAD at the ladies who are choosing not to pay membership. Everyone has to prioritise their spending, and everyone has different values and opinions about what is right for them. I personally will be sad to see some of the talented stampers, and generous sharing members of our community drop out, but I respect their right to choose for themself.

Please don't let this turn into "Let's Flame those who didn't pay". One thing I love about this site is the lack of snarkiness and mean comments.

Sherry, you have bent over backwards and tried everything before you made this decision, and you have been totally open with us thru the whole process. i congratulate you on making a choice that keeps this website going and performing even better for those who wish to be a part of it.

As soon as I can get to the Bank to buy a Money order in US dollars you will have my $10 membership. That is only the cost of 1 and a half magazines for me, OR 1 bottle of wine. I get about 2 hours entertainment value from a magazine, 1 days entertainment sharing a bottle of wine with friends, or a WHOLE YEAR from the Stamp Shack. You are worth every cent ladies, and so am I....
OK sorry it was so long, but it had to be said
Sarah

tesschap
02-20-2007, 06:25 AM
Well said, Sarah.

I'm not mad at those who chose not to pay. I fully understand both their decison and Sherry's. This site is 'different' from any others I've belonged to in a positive way. I'm fairly new here but to me this site feels more like a friendship site with others who are addicted to the same stamping passion as I! I know it's only $10 but if I put myself in their shoes I realize that everyone has priorities. $10 is minimal to some and not to others. Maybe it's a childs lunch money or perhaps their spouse wouldn't support them paying $$ to visit any internet site. Whatever the reason I'm not one to pass judgement. I am sad to see anyone leave but at the same time Sherry can't continue to fund this site on her own and make it what we all want it to be. I view this as a business decision. Many times upper management is forced to make changes or implement policies (that they don't always want to) and that us workerbee's aren't happy with. In most cases we adapt to the changes and move forward and in some cases we have co-workers who leave. There's always an empty spot when someone leaves but everyone moves on.

To those of you who leave I wish you the best. To Sherry and those who stay I look forward to doing my part to keep this site as wonderful as I have found it to be.

Teresa

spredbirds
02-20-2007, 07:46 AM
It's worth it to me .... I love the Shack! ... Chelsea

My3Ds
02-20-2007, 08:29 AM
back off and don't give them a hard time. By not paying I don't think they are saying the site isn't worth the $10 - it's just not an option for them right now. I'm sure they are going to miss hanging out at the Shack. Remember, be kind. :)

Hey there Fellow Shackies,
I don't think we should be MAD at the ladies who are choosing not to pay membership. Everyone has to prioritise their spending, and everyone has different values and opinions about what is right for them. I personally will be sad to see some of the talented stampers, and generous sharing members of our community drop out, but I respect their right to choose for themself.

Please don't let this turn into "Let's Flame those who didn't pay". One thing I love about this site is the lack of snarkiness and mean comments.

Sherry, you have bent over backwards and tried everything before you made this decision, and you have been totally open with us thru the whole process. i congratulate you on making a choice that keeps this website going and performing even better for those who wish to be a part of it.

As soon as I can get to the Bank to buy a Money order in US dollars you will have my $10 membership. That is only the cost of 1 and a half magazines for me, OR 1 bottle of wine. I get about 2 hours entertainment value from a magazine, 1 days entertainment sharing a bottle of wine with friends, or a WHOLE YEAR from the Stamp Shack. You are worth every cent ladies, and so am I....
OK sorry it was so long, but it had to be said
Sarah

Deborah
02-20-2007, 10:20 AM
I really appreciated reading your post Teresa. Your analogy to difficult management decisions in the workplace is a very useful one.

After reading all those posted since yesterday, I went back to re-read every post on this thread. I don't think anyone here is "mad" about people leaving. I think it's more that we're sad. I don't see where anyone is giving members "a hard time" either. It's a difficult situation, and I absolutely hate to see anyone leave over this.

Sherry, I wonder...would it be possible for a member to "donate-a-membership?" I know people are leaving for different reasons, and I respect their decisions, but if some are leaving solely because they can't afford the fee, that's even sadder. This could be completely anonymous, with only you knowing who the donor was.

lisaguyon
02-20-2007, 10:36 AM
Just keep your chin up. You are doing the right thing and I do not think there is anyone out there that can not afford $10. Lisa

inkinupstamps
02-20-2007, 10:44 AM
Wait. I'm not upset at all with anyone who has decided not to join. And it is not my place, nor anyone else's to decide who should, could and can afford a membership fee. What we spend our money on is a personal choice. No one has the right to say one way or the other that so and so can afford the small fee.

Having said that, I do not either find that charging a small membership fee is unreasonable. Sherry can't and shouldn't be expected to pay the huge fees out of her pockets to run this site for us. That is absurd! I love the Stamp Shack and it is important to me. I am not currently subscribing to any magazines because I haven't found any one that I have to have every month. But with stamp shack, I have to have it every day! :)

Please, ladies. Do not begin judging other's reasons or means to pay the fee. It is a personal decision and one not needed to be justified. I'll truly miss seeing people here who decide not to join but that doesn't mean I cannot keep in touch with them.

Sherry, I applaud your decision to institute a membership fee. You did what you had to do to keep the site as good and probably even better in the future. I'm happy to enjoy this quality site with a nominal membership fee.

Jennifer :)

toao
02-20-2007, 01:28 PM
Let's just focus, if we could, on the great things that this website provides. Is it worth $10 per year? You decide.

A welcoming community free of drama, harassment, and spam
A community free of annoying ADS!
A community where you receive (almost immediate) answers and helpful advice to your technical questions and website related problems
A community where it's members are also part of the staff. We have an awesome creative team who's members are rotated every three months so that EVERYONE can have a chance to be part of the Stamp Shack Staff! We also have a newly appointed newsletter committee.
A rockin swap board with a flaker-free policy (might I remind you that not even splitcoast has a swap board like this one!)
An amazing gallery filled with some of the most fantastic work I have ever seen.
A live chat room (another cool addition not always found on other websites)
Free downloadable templates
A card verse database
Cool Contests and Creative Team events that are rewarded with great prizes!
A very cool website owner who bends over backwards to give you anything you ask for. ;)Is all of this worth $10 a year? I think it is :)

PRICELESS!!

Thank you Sherry.

Mary Rogers
Dedicated Stamp Shack Member

lisaguyon
02-20-2007, 02:14 PM
If my post was taken as flaming someone for deciding not to join I did not mean it that way. I hate to lose anyone here because of a small fee. Hope I did not offend anyone that was not my goal.

Lisa

stampcrazyjulie
02-20-2007, 02:55 PM
It was only my DH's Lunch money....I didn't even give it a second thought....LOL! :D He didn't need to eat lunch anyways....did he? :nah:

No, really....it is SO worth the $10.00. I was just a bit shocked:wideeyed: to come online & all of a sudden I had no Stamp Shack.....

dreis1
02-22-2007, 01:08 PM
I think the $10.00 fee is more than reasonable. Better that than fight ads all over the place. Not a problem for me. Glinda

craft a latte
02-22-2007, 01:22 PM
5 seconds to decide to join. Although I'm not stamping as much lately I love seeing all the great cards and techniques here at the shack and staying in touch with this community. Keep all those great cards and ideas coming ladies.

Sabrina