PDA

View Full Version : Embossing metal look/castaway pad

Far North
10-31-2006, 02:30 AM
Have you tried either of these techniques? If so I would love to see you work!

I have been experimenting with the layering embossing powder technique. Starting with a light chipboard, direct versamark, cover with EP and heat x3-then versamark stamp and stamp in image for a tile look. On my sample in the gallery I colored with Sharpie markers and sponged on ink. The ink would not dry so I sprayed with triple thick crystal clear glaze. The glaze adds to the heavy metal look.

The background of my card was made with the Castaway pad. I found that using the heat gun takes longer than a iron and far longer than when used for typical embossing.

My sample is at-
http://stamp-shack.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=439&cat=500

Thanks for playing with me!....Jan

teabear
10-31-2006, 02:50 AM
I'm no help, since I haven't tried either of these. I would love to pick up a castaway pad, haven't seen it yet. Next week I'm going to the good RSS and I know she has them. I love what you posted in the gallery. Can't wait to see other samples :) Have a good night....off to bed for me.

inkinupstamps
10-31-2006, 07:08 AM
I'm no help with the questions you asked because this is the first I've seen of this technique. You card is amazing and beautiful! Please tell more about it. I love the look of embossing in any of its many techiniques on cards. Sounds like you need to teach us all about this! TFS! Your card is beautiful! :)

Far North
10-31-2006, 09:38 AM
First I need to say thanks to Jane/Whoopsie Daisy for reminding me of this fun and easy technique. To make a metal tile it is just a process of building the embossing with three layers of EP and then stamping in the hot powder with your stamp (versamark stamp and then let the stamp sit a moment or two careful not slide it). And then finish in any way you like.

Castaway-yes, is the new "inkpad" that has been advertised. The results are a batik bleached effect. For a while in late summer the company stopped distributing the pads to LSS due to a problem with the heat. Hope you can find them now. The process is a mere direct stamping and let sit 5 minutes then heat with iron or heat gun (takes longer than expected). For more exampes--
http://www.blockheadstamps.com/ink_castaway.html
…Let me know what other details you need...Jan

lost luggage
10-31-2006, 09:49 AM
I have a question...when you are triple embossing something, do you need to stamp the image 3 times on top of itself?? How do you build up the powder each time? I am missing something here.. :(

inkinupstamps
10-31-2006, 10:01 AM
You've answered a few of my questions, but I need help. What time may I come over to have you give me some more pointers. I love this!:D

Far North
10-31-2006, 10:24 AM
Oh my I am serving on a jury for the next two weeks so you best catch me before they I am locked up LOL!

Okay one builds up 3 layers of EP so it is thick enough to look like metal and will take the stamp image. Versamark directly onto the cardboard add embossing powder and heat. 2. Versamark, EP and heat. 3. Versamark, EP and heat. Next place your stamp in Versamark and stamp onto HOT Embossed Tile. The versamark on the stamp is to help it release from the EP. If the tile cools off too much just reheat. The hardest part is arranging your materials so you can stamp into the hot EP.
I want to see your results!!!

lost luggage
10-31-2006, 10:39 AM
oh geeze..I still don't get it. lol

This has to be on cardboard?

When you say "versamark directly onto the cardboard add embossing powder and heat.." heat what? Do you mean that you are essentially making a huge thick pool of heated EP and then stamping the image on top of all that? Does that make sense? LOL Kind of like making a wax seal? You need a pool of wax first, then you stamp on it??

Thanks for helping!!

Far North
10-31-2006, 10:57 AM
Julie you got it! I think cardboard/chipboard just gives a little differnent tile-like look that is appropriate to the metal look- I am talking about a piece of a cereal box or somethin...nothing special.

Yes you take you embossing pad, rub it on the cardboard, and cover with embossing powder and heat til you get the smooth metal-like coverage, then repeat 2 more times to make the embossing powder thicker so you will get an image. And then just like the wax embosser you put your stamp into the versamark pad and then into the hot embossed tile. The versamark will not do anything for making the image, only protect your stamp in releasing it from the hot embossing powder.

Time to experiment!...have fun!...but ask if any more questions.
...Jan

mcourtney
10-31-2006, 11:37 AM
Here's a card I did awhile back using three layers of gold embossing powder. After I stamped the image, I used Rub-N-Buff on it to bring the image out.

http://stamp-shack.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=440&cat=500

I haven't tried the clear embossing powder then coloring. I'm putting that on my list of "Techniques to Try before 12/31/06" List.
Thanks for sharing, Jan!

Far North
10-31-2006, 11:57 AM
Thanks so much for sharing Mary. I did use silver EP on my posted card.
...Jan

mcourtney
10-31-2006, 12:04 PM
Thanks so much for sharing Mary. I did use silver EP on my posted card.
...Jan
Oh, I see! The silver has a blue tint on my screen. It's gorgeous! OK... change my list to read silver EP. Thanks, Jan!

lost luggage
10-31-2006, 12:34 PM
Great!! Thanks Jan...and Mary too. I'm not as dumb as I look. ;)

teabear
10-31-2006, 04:29 PM
It was fun! I learned that metallic EP works best and that fine detailed lines on the stamps also work best. We used pogs as the base and 5 layers of EP. Also used stampboss pad instead of versamark, so we could see the ink better. If you make a mistake, just re-melt the ep, and put on another layer and try again. Here is Kyle's artwork (this was our art project today):
http://stamp-shack.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=443&nocache=1

Here are my attempts:http://stamp-shack.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=444&limit=recent

Far North
10-31-2006, 10:14 PM
Wow, Kyle did a great job on his! Good for him!! Tami thanks for sharing your nice work too!

Far North
10-31-2006, 10:19 PM
I'm not as dumb as I look. ;)

Julie I don't have a thought that you are anything but VERY talented from all the great works you have posted! But writting notes back and forth can be a little slow process of things...I do so much better when I can also ready ones expressions too!

Do post when you get a chance to try this!
...Jan

Mom0fgirls
11-01-2006, 06:23 AM
I've had mixed results with the castaway pad. I don't know if its me, or the pad just does not work as well as bleach does????

I've gotten decent results on Bazzil and SU! papers (although bleach is a more dramatic color change). I have not had much luck removing ink with the castaway (where you brayer on dye ink and then remove it with stamped bleach).

I got the Castaway because I hate using the bleach - I live in mortal fear of spilling it on the carpet! And I do like that the images with the Castaway are sharper - they bleed less. I just wish I could get it to work more consistantly.

mahodgman
11-01-2006, 07:45 AM
Your results are fabulous! I've done the metal look thing with only one layer of embossing powder on regular card stock, and some of the paper color shows through. I'm going to try doing with 3 layers next time.

teabear
11-01-2006, 07:54 AM
I ended up using 5 layers when it was all said and done. It seemed to work better than 3. Please post yours when you do them :)

Far North
11-02-2006, 09:20 AM
I've had mixed results with the castaway pad. I don't know if its me, or the pad just does not work as well as bleach does????

My understanding is that since castaway is not bleach on a pad the results will be different. It truly is a process of testing your paper...paper with finishes do not work well. Have you seen this comparison of bleach to Castaway?

http://www.blockheadstamps.com/ink_castaway.html

Jan

Mom0fgirls
11-02-2006, 12:51 PM
Thanks so much for that link! I think I need to experiment more. I have been using copy paper between the iron and my project. Maybe I'm not getting it hot enough...

teabear
11-02-2006, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the great info on the castaway pad.....I need one now more than ever!