PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of musicals: Phantom of the Opera

Vintagegal
02-21-2007, 09:20 AM
I'm watching the movie version of Phantom of the Opera on HBO, right now. I saw this on stage in Denver 16 years ago, and I cried and cried. (Just like I'm getting teary-eyed, right now). Has anyone else seen this (either on stage or the movie)? I always feel so bad for the Phantom.

BTW....DH (who was my boyfriend back then), flew me out to Colorado to see this with him. After we got back to my hotel, he proposed to me. The man knew how to "set up" a marriage proposal, didn't he? LOL! :D

ellie
02-21-2007, 10:05 AM
Yes, I feel sorry for the Phantom. It makes me sad.

teabear
02-21-2007, 01:17 PM
I saw it on stage in LA about 15 yrs ago or so. Rober Guillome (sp?) played the phantom. It was fantastic. I haven't watched the movie, yet.

Firecracker
02-21-2007, 02:35 PM
I haven't seen either. It has only come to Utah once (the play) and we could not get tickets. I would love to see the play. I wonder if it is on DVD so I can rent it and watch. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, HEather

maxiesmom
02-21-2007, 05:02 PM
LOVED IT!! Went up to Toronto to see it, gee, did I really see it 3 times? Or was it 4?? I saw Colm Wilkinson perform as the Phantom the first time, he was the man the part was written for (whom Andrew Lloyd Webber had in mind, I mean) but originally he couldn't do it because he was obligated to Les Mis at the time. He was outstandingly fabulous!! What a voice- although I imagine Robert Guillaume was equally amazing, he's so talented.
I have the cd for the original Canadian cast, oh so wonderful!

I also bought the DVD, Target had them on sale last winter for 10 bucks, had to get it! Next best thing to being there.
Last time I saw it was with MIL, before it left Toronto. Paul Stanley, from KISS fame was supposed to be the Phantom, but alas, when we went we had the understudy. I was really curious to see how he'd do.