PDA

View Full Version : Safety

ellie
02-26-2007, 04:14 PM
In light of Chelsey's post on her blog, I felt led to post these tips here. I hope you guys don't think I am a worrywart but just incase you never thought of them:
When leaving the mall at night, always try to leave when others are leaving so you won't be in the parking lot alone.

When you leave the mall, always have your keys in your hand and look like you know where you are going...even if you forget where you are parked. Criminals prey on people who are pre-occupied looking for their keys or car. If you forgot where you parked, go back inside and ask a security guard for help.

Always look under your car and be aware of people around it before you actually get to it. Criminals have been known to lay under the car and wait so they can cut your tendons leaving you unable to run away.

Always walk down the center of the asile and not close to the parked cars. This way, someone can't hide between the cars and pull you in.

Never offer to help someone who looks handicapped (crutches, arm in a sling,...) I think it was Ted Bundy who claimed many of his victims by luring them into helping him. If you feel concern, and feel they really need help, go into the store and call a security guard or a policeman.

While driving home, if you feel you are being followed, go to a public, well lit place.

When you arrive home, scan the outside of the house before you get out. Look around the bushes and trees and make sure the coast is clear.

No hitch-hikers...EVER!

I know you guys have probably heard all of this before...or you think I am nuts...but I don't want to lose any of you! We were pretty active in our neighborhood watch and these are some of the tips the police gave us. It is especially good to go over all of these with the new drivers in the family.

Spartymom
02-26-2007, 04:17 PM
Those are good tips to always repeat! Sometimes in daylight, I feel vulnerable while getting kids into the van with the door open. I have closed the door at times. Everyone stay safe. Kim

moon_beam23
02-26-2007, 04:24 PM
Those are great tips that everyone should be aware of and remember! Better to be safe than sorry!

hutchink
02-26-2007, 04:32 PM
Kim...I second you with putting kids into the vehicle. I open the car doors, put my purse in, then Sam gets in then I get Ben buckle in his car seat...go around the card buckle Sam in and then get in. When I was at Kmart....getting Ben buckled in his seat....a man hit me in the back....not to hard...and said can I have a minute of your time...I said that I did not have any time...he said you have a couple of seconds to smell this an tell me which on you like the best done you? I said no and I have great lungs...you best walk away or I will scream so loud! He did walk away and but keep looking back at me. When we got home I the police. I guess he was knocking people out with the thing that he wanted me to smell and taking their money.

So please be careful and do not smell anything!!!

~K

buggainok
02-26-2007, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the reminder on the safety tips. This is a not-too-nice world we live in these days, and we need to take care of ourselves the best we can.

I am not fearful, or paranoid, but I do have a healthy concern for all the things everyone has talked about.

Christie
02-26-2007, 06:52 PM
Great tips. It's always good to be mindful of your surrounds wether alone or not. I think it helps to remind us of this from time to time!!