PDA

View Full Version : Prisma, SU Pencils, or SU Watercolor wonders

mjbonoan
02-28-2007, 02:16 AM
:wacko: This is so confusing, what should I get? I'n new at this and totally lost. I've already ordered my Gamsol and stumps, but I don't have the pencils. Need advise for a newbie!!! Help!!!

buggainok
02-28-2007, 03:08 AM
I don't have the other things you mentioned, but I really love my Prisma pencils. I use them alone, without the gamsol technique and like them that way, so far.

You can do quite a bit of shading just with light and dark colors and how much pressure you use when you color.

moosemama
02-28-2007, 07:25 AM
Sometimes you can buy prisma pencils separately-maybe you could try a few of them and see if you like them. I agree, it can be very confusing!

tesschap
02-28-2007, 07:31 AM
I am also confused! I have SU colored pencils and I have a couple brands of water color pencils. How are Prisma's different? Are they more vibrant? More color choices? I almost bought some last weekend but they were quite expensive and I wasn't sure what the benefit would be. I'm looking for advice, too!

Thanks,

Teresa

MidwestStamper
02-28-2007, 08:14 AM
You can use your coupons for Prismas at Michaels and get a good price on them. I don't know if you can really say that one is better than the other--they're all great.

But if you're already going with the Gamsol, isn't that for the prismas? Or does that work with all of them? That's something I haven't tried. I don't do alot of coloring.

GrammaStamper
02-28-2007, 08:27 AM
Gamsol will work will all coloured pencils, but NOT water colour pencils. Personally, I love the Prismas. I have tried other brands of coloured pencils, but always come back to Prismas.

tesschap
02-28-2007, 08:38 AM
Barb,

What makes Prisma's your favorite? I haven't used the SU colored pencils for quite a while and now that I've joined the Bella club I'm going to want to get back to coloring. I'm just curious as to what makes Prisma's everyone's favorite!

Thanks.

Teresa

Erin K
02-28-2007, 10:35 AM
I like prisma because they are softer than most so you get really creamy color and it's VIVID you don't have to put layer after layer unless you want a special look. This also makes them blend together and with gamsol really well.

I believe the SU pencils are a pretty high quality too, I've heard at least. if you have those, the normal pencils ones NOT the watercolor, then try them before getting a huge pack of Prismas. Why spend money if you have something already that works great. Or get just a few prismas and compare.

Don't buy the 12 pack PLEASE. The colors are sooo basic you really won't be happy, I mean there isn't even a pink! I need like 10 pinks. I think the 30something pack would be the smallest I'd recomend. I know they are expensive, they do last a while, I've had mine for over a year and use them on almost everything and even my fav colors are still more than half there. AND you can buy JUST the colors you run out of, so when I run out of the one red I like best I can just replace that one only for like two dollars and be back in business.

Summary:
Prismacolor pencils are just better, they blend better and are more vibrant.
If you have other pencils and like them, then just use what you have.
Get the biggest pack of pencils you can justify spending the $$ on.

GrammaStamper
02-28-2007, 10:40 AM
I agree with what Erin has said about why Prismas are my favourite. Sorry it took so long to answer, Teresa, but my computer is NOT in my scraproom, so if I'm "creating, dahling", I don't check the computer for a bit.

logcabincreations
02-28-2007, 11:00 AM
Check out Asela Hopkins blog about Prismacolor pensils; she also shows a demonstration which is really good. Here's the link:

http://www.hopartstudios.typepad.com//

Jan

logcabincreations
02-28-2007, 11:00 AM
oops...that's PENCILS
Jan

midnitecreations
02-28-2007, 12:04 PM
I don't have any prisma coloring pencils (but sure sounds like I might be investing in them soon). I have a bunch of diff. watercolor pencils and I find that the prisma watercolor pencils are very intense in color. I tiny bit goes a looong way. renu

mjbonoan
02-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Looks like the prismacolor pencils are the best choice. I saw them last night online and they were very reasonably priced. I'll look for the site and post the link as soon as I find it.

Now, how do I use the SU pencils? I have them and don't know what to do with them, seems like I can't get rid of the "pencil lines"... help!!

Thanks,

MJ

aselahop
02-28-2007, 08:42 PM
I love my pencils! (thanks Jan for the link to my blog)

I get a lot of use out of my pencils. There's a really good deal on them right now at https://www.carpediemstore.com/listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=12

tesschap
03-01-2007, 10:05 AM
Thanks Ladies. Ok - I now know that I need Prismas, Stickles, a Cuttlebug and a second job to pay for all of this! I appreciate all of your great advice. My sister is a rookie stamper and I'm hoping she'll cave and buy some of these items too. (That way we'll be poor together)! :)

Thanks,

Teresa

Swanie78
03-01-2007, 10:52 AM
I've played with them all.
As far as colored pencils go.....Id go with the Prismacolors. I used the SU pencils last weekend. I would have been ok with them if I had never used the Prismacolors, but since I have, I can say that the Prismacolors stand alone!
The watercolors are in a catergory of their own. Also got to play with those last weekend and now I HAVE to have those! Ill attach a photo to this post showing you what we did with them. Keep in mind Im not very good at coloring/shadowing but this was so easy! (and I even did more to mine than most people because I was having so much fun...lol) I checked Ebay this morning for the old pack and they are very expensive still. So I might just end up buying the individually.

mommagus
03-01-2007, 11:03 AM
Prisacolors are the way to go for colored pencils.So easy to blend with the gamsol compared to other brands that I have tried, but to be fair I have not tried the SU pencils. Watercolors blend easy but I am not good with them. I would rather use the prismacolors. Check ebay - that's where I got mine (less then .50 a piece). I bought a 96 count. Lots of different colors, but fun.

tesschap
03-01-2007, 11:05 AM
Thanks Kelly. Would you recommend Prisma Watercolors or Prisma regulars as a first purchase?

Teresa

mjbonoan
03-02-2007, 12:22 PM
Thanks so much for all the great information, links and samples. I ordered my Prismacolor pencils from ebay, 48 for about $26.

Thanks again!!

dreis1
03-09-2007, 10:03 AM
Jan, thank you for that link. There is lots of good information there. I, too am just learning about Prismacolor Pencils. Glinda

Butternutsage
03-09-2007, 02:59 PM
Hi I use my SU pencils in different ways. If I want a watercolor affect I just outline the area I want colored and use a blender pen to drag the color into the blank area. It leaves no lines and you can blend it in a nice way to have it fade out lighter as you go. I also use my blender pen right on the tip of the pencil to pick up color and then "paint" with it.

Of course you can shade with a dry technique, using as much or as little pressure as you like but this will leave lines. I hope this helps!