PDA

View Full Version : This has always been a debate ... when giving cards as a gift, do you stamp the back

iloveflipflops
11-01-2006, 08:28 PM
of your cards with YOUR name on them?

I don't know why I am so hesitant to do this, why am I worried about it?

I am making a dozen cards for Nicholas' teacher for Christmas with a gift card enclosed so whatever the majority of you say, I will do.

teabear
11-01-2006, 08:37 PM
I sometimes just sign my initials. I have the cutest little teabag stamp I like to use on the back and I sign by that. I also have a hand stamped stamp that I use on the back. I say at the very least put your initials on the back. Even Hallmark signs theirs :)

kerry
11-01-2006, 08:40 PM
If you make the cards, mark the back. I don't understand why you wouldn't. Would a painter, quilter, potter, seamstress, jeweler not "sign" his/her work if he/she was going to give it as a gift???

Kerry

GrammaStamper
11-01-2006, 09:04 PM
I plan on signing or stamping my name on the back of the ones I'm giving. I think people should know who does such great work.

JMO,

Christie
11-01-2006, 09:14 PM
I would stamp the back. Take the credit for all your hard work and who knows they might like it so much and you'll get some more business!!

bubblegum girl
11-01-2006, 09:15 PM
I aways stamp "hand stamped withy love" then sign my name when i have stamped on it and if i dont stamp it t i just write hand made by chelsey.

kulakid
11-01-2006, 09:23 PM
Sign them!!! You make such wonderful cards; everyone should know where it came from!!! ;)

iloveflipflops
11-01-2006, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the input ladies!! :)

laos348
11-02-2006, 07:31 AM
I always stamp the back with my company name. I figure if Hallmark can do it, so can I!

Laura

Sherry
11-02-2006, 07:47 AM
Okay, I'm going in a different direction on this one.

If I am giving a set of cards as a gift to someone, I never sign the back. By not signing my name, it will encourage the receiver to actually use them. For some people, sending out a card with the name "Sherry" scrawled on the back just isn't appealing to them. If doing swaps, however, I ALWAYS sign my name.

I used to sell my cards at a flea market and I was asked about my signature many, many times. The cards without signatures were usually the first ones to go. It came to a point where I wasn't adding signatures at all, only the "angel" stamp.

JMO,
Sherry

iloveflipflops
11-02-2006, 07:58 AM
and I just could not put it into words ... I am thinking the exact same thing ... Now I am back to square 1.

shuggy
11-02-2006, 08:58 AM
i have a stamp (that was given by a wish fairy) that says hand stamped by angie or something to that effect. i think you should sign them.

lost luggage
11-02-2006, 10:35 AM
I sign everything....When I receive a card from someone andit is not signed, I am always curious to know who made it.

mcourtney
11-02-2006, 10:49 AM
I always initial my "gift" cards and put the year (i.e MC '06) in small letters on the back. Then I enclose a business card with all the pertinent info in the package.

Beaglelover
11-02-2006, 10:55 AM
My favorite reply? If Hallmark can do it, why can't you!!!:)

stampcrazyjulie
11-02-2006, 01:53 PM
I am with Sherry on this one! If I am doing a swap or sending a card out to a Friend of course I would sign my name, but if they are for a gift or if I ever was to sell them, then I would not. I personally would not buy cards if they had somebody's name on the back, but that is just me. I like the card to look "clean". I realize Hallmark prints their name on their cards, but to me buying a Hallmark card & buying nice handmade cards are 2 different things. We all have our own ideas & opinions on this I know, and that's OK, right? :)

I say sign them if that's what you are comfortable doing! :)

StampinMom
11-02-2006, 05:16 PM
I always stamp the backs of all the cards I make. I only give a set of cards as a gift to people who don't make their own, so it shouldn't matter that I signed the back of them (as you say, Hallmark signs theirs).

lost luggage
11-02-2006, 05:19 PM
Here's something that came to mind....if you knit someone a scarf, wouldn't you put in one of those cute "knit with love" tags? What's the difference?

workin4stamps
11-04-2006, 10:04 AM
I'm a little behind posting my response to this one....but if stamping cards as a gift, I never put my name on them. I just put a "hand stamped" stamp on them. For the same reasons Sherry said. I don't think it's wrong to do it the other way, but I would be afraid someone would hesitate using them if they had my name on them.

:-)
Traci

lost luggage
11-04-2006, 10:31 AM
I just got a swap back (my first one! yeah!) which was a Christmas Stamped Image Swap (Tami I think)...not one image has someone's name on the back...in pencil or anything. I wanted to thank you guys!