PDA

View Full Version : who can tell me about shrinky dinks????

cindi
11-02-2006, 07:40 PM
Where do you buy them,,how do they come? Is there a special way you stamp on them?? What else do I need to know? Boy, I'm curiuos tonight! LOL:confused:

Christie
11-02-2006, 07:53 PM
All I know is that you can get them at Wal-mart or a craft store. Our local craft stores carry them down here so yours might too. As far as the rest, you got me!!!

iloveflipflops
11-02-2006, 08:39 PM
I have no idea where to get it. All I know is you stamp on some piece of shrinky dink and then you heat it in the oven and it gets much smaller. That is all I know and I would love to know more too.

I remember going to a stamp store in Winston-salem and they had a tiny Christmas tree with these cute tiny snowmen ornaments on it made out of shrinky dink but it was so long ago I forgot what they told me...

suzi_f
11-02-2006, 08:45 PM
Su used to sell the sheets but not anymore :( I stamped on them only once. Colored in w/colored pencils & then shrunk them w/a heat gun. Gave me a little more control over making sure they ended up completly flat. I'm sure I should have used a "special" ink on them but, it turned out fine w/whatever I used (probably colorbox) I did happen across the last 2 sheets of shrink plastic the other day. Maybe I should try again.

kerry
11-02-2006, 09:50 PM
It comes in clear, white and black and possibly other colors. The Shrinky Dinks name is a brand. Most Shrink Plastic is not called "Shrinky Dinks" but everyone seems to call it that. I guess you can say it is kinda like Xerox...People use that word interchangeably with the word photocopy...

Getting back to shrink plastic. It is sold in pages that are 81/2x 11 and can be found in the patterned paper aisle at M's. If you look at the area where the 12x12 packets of paper are on the wall and the little idea books are sold, that is usually where it is located. You can also ask the people to help you find it.

It is easy to use. You just stamp your image using StazOn on the brushed side of the plastic (if you don't have a brushed {bumpy}side, you should burnish one side with fine grit sandpaper so that it can "grab" the ink). After inking it, you can either cut the image out or keep it large. The old school way of shrinking the plastic was to put it in the oven. Now, you can just use your heat gun tool and heat it until it shrinks. Make sure to use something to hold it...it gets hot.

Kerry

iloveflipflops
11-02-2006, 10:13 PM
I knew someone would know what the heck to do with it. Since it looks like I am headed to M's tomorrow, I will have to check this out. It sounds like something I can do....

Far North
11-02-2006, 10:30 PM
A few notes onto what Kerry started. Some folks add additional color with sharpie markers on the plastics opposite site of stamped image. If you want a hole you need to punch it before heating. You need to be prepared for the most frightening part (oh how I wish I could be a mouse if Julie tries this--I know she will make a very appropriate squeal-LOL) as you heat with the heat gun the plastic will twist and turn and bend onto itself and eventually it will almost flaten out. Know some people brush a light coat of talcum powder over the plastic before heating so it will not stick to itself. When the plastic appears to be as flat as it will get on its own, take a wooden stamp block and press down it (image away from plastic) to make it flat as possible. I recommend you watch the beginning of the following video so you will have more of an idea of this process. http://crafttvweekly.com/player.html?wid=33
And Cindi here is a project you may enjoy and could sell to:
http://www.enchantedink.com/projects/class7.htm
...Jan
PS--I have been able to recyle clear plastic packaging for shrinks...try a small sample piece first-nothing to lose!

toao
11-03-2006, 10:42 AM
It's the cheapest I've found it. And fast shipping.

Mary

http://www.accucut.com/Shrinky_Dinks_Plastic-p104c298-path181,298.html

mcourtney
11-03-2006, 10:58 AM
Check out Lucky Squirrel. They have a great gallery. This is the brand of PolyShrink I usually use.

http://luckysquirrel.com/products.html

lost luggage
11-03-2006, 11:14 AM
(oh how I wish I could be a mouse if Julie tries this--I know she will make a very appropriate squeal-LOL) !

Julie who?? I don't squeal...I curse. lol I have not seen a shrinky dink in probably about 25 years! When we were kids we had them all over the place...my fondest memory is that they STINK to holy...well you know...when you shrink them. There used to be glow in the dark, and my favorite the fuzzy type! Wonder if you could flock the new style shrink paper after you stamp it...that would be cool...

ctinyjoy
11-03-2006, 12:01 PM
I was laughing myself after reading Far North's post. I have only tried Shrinky Dinks once, last year for CindeeQ's swap I believe. I got the paper from M's and I used my toaster oven. It is a bit frightening watching them twist and curl. The darker the color marker or pencil the better. they seem to lighten up after shrinking. Also, definitely want to flatten them while they are still warm. I didn't do that to some of mine and they sorta bowed up.

lots of luck

ngreek
11-05-2006, 03:53 PM
If you are looking at getting the Shrink Plastic at J's it is in the Kids craft section. Also the sheets appear to be a little smaller then the ones at M's.

Nicole:)

Beaglelover
11-07-2006, 06:53 PM
Julie,

You scare me sometimes!

Teresa

Whoopsie Daisy!
11-07-2006, 07:24 PM
You need to be prepared for the most frightening part (oh how I wish I could be a mouse if Julie tries this--I know she will make a very appropriate squeal-LOL) as you heat with the heat gun the plastic will twist and turn and bend onto itself and eventually it will almost flaten out.

My boys are glued to the window of the oven door when I bake my shrink plastic. And yes, they do squeal in delight. It really is the coolest thing to watch!

I get my shrink plastic from M's with my coupon. I love the variety pack and the frosted pack.

:) Jane

teabear
11-07-2006, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the info and links. I have some of this, but haven't tried it yet. Another one on the list :)