PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Costco not taking credit cards?

Erin K
03-13-2007, 09:50 AM
So I just learned Costco doesn't take credit cards? We have to buy TONS of food for this thingie at church tonight (It's that big activity I'm doing wish me luck) and I'm gonna have to pay with my debit card and it will be several hundred dollars. YIKES. I was counting on being able to charge it. It seems to take forever to get a reimbursement check out of the men who do that at church. :skeptical:

Ok, I know none of you can change it I just wanted to gribe a bit. I will say this, I'm gonna be down their necks at church for my check! I gotta use that money to get the AC fixed in my car and it's getting hot in here!

MidwestStamper
03-13-2007, 09:57 AM
Does the Church have a debit card that you can use? I know that our church will let me use their credit card to make a big purchase that is for church use, but this might work differently.

Does Costco require you to be a member, like Sam's Club does? I know that at Sams' the membership name has to match the name on the debit card or the check.

This way, you're also sure to get the non-profit church tax break too. Check out your options with church--they can't really expect you to pay for all this yourself--maybe they can cut a check for you to use?

Erin K
03-13-2007, 10:15 AM
Nope, we just pay and get reinbursed after the fact. No church debit card. I have a costco membership.

Brian checked and we have plenty so I'll just pay and make sure I get my recipts in right away.

Nancy
03-13-2007, 10:27 AM
number that you could use. Just keep after them. AND next time don't volunteer. I have learned that I don't say to much anymore in clubs, etc. because then you become the chairman of that group. What if you didn't have the money in the account ( debit card ) to do it. Next time complain to them MORE, really throw a hissy fit. My hints to you for the rest of your life!!!! Please take this in a kind way - Nancy A

shuggy
03-13-2007, 11:00 AM
do you have an american express? they take those.

Erin K
03-13-2007, 11:03 AM
Well I should have told you, I am the one who decided we were gonna buy all this crap at Costco I'm sure if I'd planned better I could have gotten an advance to pay for it. I'm the person in charge of this stuff.

I don't have American Expres. It's a shame, perhaps I should get one.

Canadian, eh
03-13-2007, 11:20 AM
I was told that the prices cannot be maintained at their low price if they take credit cards because they loose a certain percentage with each transaction.

Erin K
03-13-2007, 11:36 AM
I'm not sure that's true, I mean I'm sure that's what they say, but every time I go in there I spend close to $100 wouldn't it be worth it to pay the visa fee... Although I still spend it even without my credit card so maybe they are on to something? At least they take debit, I'm almost totally cash free now.

hbpuppy
03-13-2007, 11:38 AM
I'll tell you my tip for getting the reimbursement check sooner. 1st get it signed by everyone who has to sign it myself. Then I get to the clerks office right after church is over. Then, I camp out in the clerks office until he prints off my check. And, I tell him I need it right away. It usually works for me. I do ward activities and my checks can be pretty big too. Good luck on your activity.

Erin K
03-13-2007, 11:43 AM
Yea, we don't have a ward clerk yet is the problem! They are getting around to it. I might have to just stalk the Bishop, (we are friends) until he gives it to me!

Brian did tell me we never put our tax refund in savings yet so we have plenty anyhow.

Who writes them when there is no ward clerk? One of the other councelors' husband was our old one, but he can't do it now that he's released can he?? Is the Bishop who I harrass now? Believe you me, I'm getting a check SUNDAY.

And what's up with tax exempt numbers? I've never had one? Do we not deal with that in the church? I know we CAN but I've never seen anyone do it ya know?