PDA

View Full Version : Printing on Vellum

ngreek
03-13-2007, 10:46 PM
When you are trying to print (using printer from computer) on vellum do you need to change your printing speed??? Any recomendations on printing on vellum?
Nicole

dgbearsmom
03-13-2007, 11:38 PM
Hi Nicole. My printer has a box where you can select what type of paper you are printing on - glossy photo, regular, matte photo, etc. There is a setting for Transparency and I choose that one. I think it doesn't lay as much ink down on the paper, but I don't know for sure. If you printer has a similar thing, you might try that. Less ink means less drying time and less chance of smearing. Other than that, I just make sure to give it plenty of time to dry beofore I touch it. I have also heard that you can heat it gently and/or use clear EP over it and heat it, but I have not tried either of those.

Judy

Swanie78
03-14-2007, 12:29 AM
I change my setting to transparency also, and then let it sit on the printer and dry for awhile.
I also have a ScraPerfect (http://www.scraperfect.com/) that works really well. It absorbs the ink and helps it stick to the vellum/transparency. It also cuts down on the static.
Last time this came up, someone said they put some Talcum powder in a piece of cloth and used that and it worked well too. Maybe try that?

moon_beam23
03-14-2007, 11:00 AM
I haven't tried printing on vellum just for the smearing factor. However these are great ideas to try. TFS

Vintagegal
03-14-2007, 02:01 PM
The only vellum my inkjet printer likes (believe it or not) is the one from Michael's. The ink smears on any other vellum I've used.

ngreek
03-14-2007, 10:27 PM
Thank you all for your help with this. I am helping a friend make her wedding invitations.
Nicole

little01jd
03-15-2007, 11:34 AM
You can also buy something similar to what Kelly shows at Michaels. It is an embossing buddy type of thing and I use that for everything I need to make sure it "stays in place". Also, alittle cornstarch in a pouncing pouch will work the same as well, just not too much at a time. Experimentation is the best thing you can do :)