PDA

View Full Version : I'm a horrible pet owner! :(

inkinupstamps
03-16-2007, 06:41 AM
I feel so awful!:cry2: TWO nights ago we were outside cleaning up the yard from 'Bella....you get the idea. We had gotten some tools out of the outdoor shed. Once finished we locked up the shed and came in.

I have three cats who are indoor cats but it was a mild night and they'd followed us out in the yard. Merlin (my big black sweetie) evidently went snooping in the shed and got locked inside.

I was so worried about him when yesterday I never saw him. By last night I was getting frantic because it has gotten very, very cold here again and we are predicted to have another major snowfall. Still no Merlin.

This morning when I let 'Bella outside I was standing there calling for Merlin when I got to thinking.....two nights ago the shed was open and I haven't seen him since. I RAN in my barefeet and jammies to the shed and opened it and there he was running out to me.

Oh my poor guy. He is all purrs and snuggles now but how awful! Two full nights and day spent locked in there. I'm a terrible person.:cry2:

Jennifer:cry2:

Vintagegal
03-16-2007, 06:56 AM
Oh you poor things! Wow! Merlin is a survivor! You're not a terrible person. Cats are sneaky, and they get locked inside rooms and closets even inside the house! Their curiosity gets the better of them. At least you were able to deduce all of the possibilities of where he could've gone and didn't just give up on him. I'd say that you are loving pet owner.

inkinupstamps
03-16-2007, 06:59 AM
Oh you poor things! Wow! Merlin is a survivor! You're not a terrible person. Cats are sneaky, and they get locked inside rooms and closets even inside the house! Their curiosity gets the better of them. At least you were able to deduce all of the possibilities of where he could've gone and didn't just give up on him. I'd say that you are loving pet owner.

Ethel, we don't use the shed much during the winter. That is why it never occured to me yesterday to look there. OMG. I'm just thinking of the "what if" possibilities had I not just thought....on the off chance he might be in there. Who knows the next time we'll open the shed! It might be a month before we do. I don't know why I even thought of it but OMG...what if... We just don't open it except to get yard tools out and we still have SNOW! No gardening here for a while. OMG....:(

Swanie78
03-16-2007, 07:19 AM
Well it was a good end result and he seems to have forgiven you :) No harm no foul!
Besides, we all do something accidently at some point that impacts someone/something.
I felt horrible a few weeks ago too...bad cat mommy! I had changed the litterbox and put it back in its place. Its got a hood on it and I always turn the entrance to it facing the wall so when he kicks around the litter it just falls against the wall and doesnt get tracked.
Well I had put it back and didnt think about it. Left that morning for an all day event. I came home and he was especially lovey dovey, my cue that he wants something. I checked food/water and all was well. So I just took the extra snuggles :) The next day I was gone all day also. When I came home he was the same way..extra cuddly. Again, I went around trying to figure out what was up. Finally realized that I had put the litterbox too close to the wall when I put it back and he couldnt get in!!! This cat has never had an accident, and even though he couldnt get into his litterbox for 2 days, still held it!! I couldnt believe it. I wouldnt have been upset if he had gone somewhere, but he didnt. As soon as I fixed the litterbox he ran and stayed in there for 10 minutes...LOL! Man was his urine strong that day! :laugh: My poor baby! Hes since forgiven and forgotten ;)

Deborah
03-16-2007, 07:20 AM
I disagree, it sounds to me like you're a WONDERFUL pet owner...worrying, and running out to the shed in your bare feet to rescus sweet Merlin! All's well, and he still loves you!! :)

Christie
03-16-2007, 07:44 AM
Do be to hard on yourself. Pets have a wonderful way of forgiving very fast! I'm sure by now your kitty is over it and just glad to be back with his loving mommy!

Sherry
03-16-2007, 07:50 AM
Aww, there is no way on this green earth that YOU could be a terrible pet owner, Jennifer. You had no idea that Merlin was snooping around in that shed when you closed the door. Don't beat yourself up over it.

I bet Merlin is so happy to be reunited with his mommy!

emmcee
03-16-2007, 08:01 AM
Isn't Merlin your sweet kitty who likes classical music? Kitties are so forgiving, I know he just loves you since you rescued him from his adventure. THey are so curious and he just saw that wonderful shed with all sorts of enticements. Couldn't help himself. BUt you are a good momma to your kitties & Bella :nod:

ccstampin12
03-16-2007, 08:07 AM
Oh, you're not alone...I know we have accidentally let our indoor cats out several times in their years with us....talk about frantic searches! I know how you felt!
Our little one was out on the porch in winter for who knows how long? She was fine, but stayed on the heat duct for hours after she came back in!
Joanie

toao
03-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Don't be so hard on yourself Jennifer. You found him, that's what's important. My cat gets shut in the basement once a week at least. But she'll definitely let you know it. Glad everything worked out okay.

Mary

My3Ds
03-16-2007, 09:01 AM
I doubt there is one horrible thing about you. I'm glad you found him and he's back inside with you.

GrammaStamper
03-16-2007, 09:19 AM
I'm so glad Merlin was located safely. Maybe he'll think twice about going into the shed again. NOT! Cats never do. And, you are not a horrible person at all. You love your pets so much that you ran outside in barefeet and jammies! Give yourself a hug, Jennifer. I'm sending you one.

teabear
03-16-2007, 09:19 AM
Ah, Jennifer, hugs to you my friend. I hope you and Merlin are cuddled up enjoying a peaceful morning together.

ellie
03-16-2007, 09:22 AM
The poor little thing. I bet he will think twice about snooping around in there again! I think you are a very caring "mommy". Life just happens sometimes. We went on vacation one time and didn't realize our outdoor kitty was locked in the garage. She was in there for a couple of days when the friend who was feeding her just happened to think "maybe she is in the garage" when he opened the door she was kind of "dopey" from not having any water or food. I felt terrible but she went on to be almost 20 years old!

inkinupstamps
03-16-2007, 09:28 AM
The poor little thing. I bet he will think twice about snooping around in there again! I think you are a very caring "mommy". Life just happens sometimes. We went on vacation one time and didn't realize our outdoor kitty was locked in the garage. She was in there for a couple of days when the friend who was feeding her just happened to think "maybe she is in the garage" when he opened the door she was kind of "dopey" from not having any water or food. I felt terrible but she went on to be almost 20 years old!

Oh Ellie, you understand. Of course we didn't do it on purpose, but I just had no idea. AND, the fact that we won't even open the shed again for weeks...maybe even a month. I don't even know why I thought of the shed this morning as I didn't see him go in there. Also...it has been two days. Too cold and too long.

But, you are right. They are resilient. He's been purring in my lap until a few minutes ago when he decided enough of the snuggling...he wanted to curl up in the guest room and sleep!

Thanks all for being so understanding. I still feel awful but it could have been a lot worse.

Jennifer

moon_beam23
03-16-2007, 11:29 AM
I'm glad that your cat is back safe and sound. He's probably extra cuddly now!

workin4stamps
03-16-2007, 11:57 AM
Jennifer!!! You're not a horrible pet owner!!! Accidents happen!

You know, one time when I lived in my apartment, my landlord came over to do some work in the crawl space. The entrance to the crawl space was in my bedroom closet. so he opened up the little door and proceeded downward. My cat jumped down into the crawlspace, and he never even knew it! I came home later that day, and my cat was nowhere to be found!! I knew the landlord had been over and was under the house, so I called him and asked him if by chance my cat could have gotten down there. He said "well now that you mentioned it, I do recall feeling something brush by me at one time, but I didn't really give it a thought." LOL--- sure enough..... the cat was stuck under the house.....I managed to get him back in. He was a little dirty, but okay. Of course he had only been stuck for about 8 hours....so he wasn't as hungry as dear Merlin would have been.

Sorry to hijack your thread!! But I just thought the two stories sort of went hand in hand.

Did Merlin chomp down a bunch of food when he came in???

I'll bet he doesn't venture into that shed again!!!! LOL

:-)
Traci

Erin K
03-16-2007, 11:59 AM
do you have any idea how many times we've trapped our cats in the garage, a closet or even the attic accidentally? It happens to everyone. You are a great pet owner! :)

I thought you were gonna say you threw the poo over the fence into your neighbor's backyard! ;)

hbpuppy
03-16-2007, 12:06 PM
Oh Jennifer you are so sweet. Your animals are lucky to have you.

inkinupstamps
03-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Jennifer!!! You're not a horrible pet owner!!! Accidents happen!

You know, one time when I lived in my apartment, my landlord came over to do some work in the crawl space. The entrance to the crawl space was in my bedroom closet. so he opened up the little door and proceeded downward. My cat jumped down into the crawlspace, and he never even knew it! I came home later that day, and my cat was nowhere to be found!! I knew the landlord had been over and was under the house, so I called him and asked him if by chance my cat could have gotten down there. He said "well now that you mentioned it, I do recall feeling something brush by me at one time, but I didn't really give it a thought." LOL--- sure enough..... the cat was stuck under the house.....I managed to get him back in. He was a little dirty, but okay. Of course he had only been stuck for about 8 hours....so he wasn't as hungry as dear Merlin would have been.

Sorry to hijack your thread!! But I just thought the two stories sort of went hand in hand.

Did Merlin chomp down a bunch of food when he came in???

I'll bet he doesn't venture into that shed again!!!! LOL

:-)
Traci

Yep! Your story is very similar...just a shorter time frame. But you know, that is why I didn't panic about not seeing him during the day yesterday. It was strange, but they find their hiding places. But when it was so bitter cold last night and I KNEW he wasn't in the house, that is when I freaked.

LOL - Merlin didn't eat nearly as voraciously as I thought he would...but then again, there are probably mice or voles in and under the shed. Heaven only knows what he ate! Ewwwww....

He sure won't let me out of his site now. He's evening smacking 'Bella around to stay away from my attention! :)

Thanks for the good thoughts.

Jennifer

inkinupstamps
03-16-2007, 12:09 PM
do you have any idea how many times we've trapped our cats in the garage, a closet or even the attic accidentally? It happens to everyone. You are a great pet owner! :)

I thought you were gonna say you threw the poo over the fence into your neighbor's backyard! ;)

Erin....'Bella is a large dog. A VERY VERY large dog. Large Dog = Large output...if ya get my drift. It is like cleaning up after a horse! LOL My neighbors would shoot me if I threw it over the fence! :laugh:

Jennifer :)

Erin K
03-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Yea I figured! heehee.

Scrap This!
03-16-2007, 12:48 PM
glad your kitty is safe and sound.

Tantalize
03-16-2007, 07:15 PM
Erin....'Bella is a large dog. A VERY VERY large dog. Large Dog = Large output...if ya get my drift. It is like cleaning up after a horse! LOL My neighbors would shoot me if I threw it over the fence! :laugh:

Jennifer :)

LOL!!! I had a good chuckle over this ladies. Jennifer, you have beat yourself over this too much. We all know you are a great pet owner and sometimes these things just happen. Like most of the ladies have already said, what is most important is that you found Merlin. <3

Nancy
03-16-2007, 07:23 PM
and couldn't find him, even tho' it was louder in their bedroom. Well, long story short. Her husband fixed some pipes in the kitchen ceiling and the cat crawled into the ceiling and found its way around and couldnt get back. They had to break the ceiling in the living room to get it out. This was of course after the entire Living room had been painted and redone. So it happens!!- Nancy