PDA

View Full Version : Did you see my faux scallop punch?

Erin K
03-16-2007, 07:54 PM
Ok, so I still haven't decided to buy those cool scallop punches, so did you see my dog cards? They are in my gallery. I made them by just cutting around the mat with scallop scissors. They don't suck I think. I know it would be WAY easier to just get the stinkin punches but I'm still not sure...

Anyhow what do you think of my doggies?

inkinupstamps
03-16-2007, 07:55 PM
That's how I do mine too. I think they look great!

Jennifer

Erin K
03-16-2007, 07:57 PM
Jennifer, what brand are your scissors, mine sorta stink. they leave fuzzy edges. I generally hate them. :(

inkinupstamps
03-16-2007, 08:00 PM
Erin, I was going to say Fiskars, but I looked just to be sure. The ONLY thing they say on them is "made in China."

I bought a set of 20 or so different edged scissors a couple of years ago and they have always been among my favourite tools for embellishing. But you know....after a while they do get kind of wimpy as far as cutting a good and sharp cut.

Jennifer :)

inkinupstamps
03-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Oh...and as a p.s....

I've tried sharpening them by cutting foil and all of the ideas people have suggested, but it doesn't work. They are inexpensive and I just replace them as necessary.

I want to find the really large scalloped edge scissors. I just have the smaller scallop.

me again........

dreis1
03-16-2007, 08:35 PM
Good job. I just got out my box of scissors and I have a scalloped one also. I have been wanted the circle punches, (great day in the morning, I think I am a "punchie gunkie" . I got the oval ones but had to wait on the circles. I do have the large circle sizzix so I can just use what I have. Thanks. Glinda

shuggy
03-16-2007, 08:50 PM
they are cute, erin. i love your new avatar.

smileycollector
03-16-2007, 08:54 PM
Absolutely fantastic Erin! Super stinkin cute! Love your faux scalloped edge and think you're pretty darn ingenious! :)

Far North
03-20-2007, 01:54 PM
YES Erin, cutting a shaped mat with scallop sissors is not very hard--and you make them look great!

Fiskars are making some of their decorative scissors with longer blades which is real nice. Personally I have the cheapies and fiskars and will now pay the extra bucks for a better cut with the fiskars. I bought mine at ARS and J's also has some varieties.

I agree cutting your own mat gives you lots more flexibilty of different sizes and saves you about $20 for each punch. I find the scissors are easier to store and weigh a lot less the punches.

TFS!...Jan

hutchink
03-20-2007, 02:01 PM
They look wonderful! I wish I might have to give that a try!

~K

ChristyR
03-20-2007, 02:43 PM
so cute love your creativeness :)

JBgreendawn
03-20-2007, 02:44 PM
I use the scissors alot too. :)
but, when i seen your cards i assumed you used a punch you did
that waaaay better then i do with mine.
:)

jdpisces
03-20-2007, 06:32 PM
It's a great idea, Erin! You must have a pretty steady hand to do that. My attempts are not so hot. :arghh:

For the large scalloped edges that you see, I do something that I think you I learned from a tutorial you linked here. I just take the guard off my corner rounder and punch upside down. I did it on this card:

Far North
03-20-2007, 07:51 PM
It's a great idea, Erin! You must have a pretty steady hand to do that. My attempts are not so hot. :

Julie--I find it tons easier to cut out the shape first and then line up the scissor's outside cutting edge of the paper the paper edge...far easier than trying to cut the shape. And of course I always have to double check that I am holding the scissors right side up if cutting scallops--I have made more than my share of oops on that one!...Jan

Erin K
03-20-2007, 09:51 PM
I glued the regular oval to a shet of black then croped around the oval with my doggies on it, this way I could see just what the curve of it was and all. Does that make sense?? It's not just right in real life though, but I just ignore the slight wonkiness and tell myself I'm saving a bunch of money by doing so.

Those punches are super nice though, I'm still not totally sure I'm not getting one.

ONE, Erin ONE, if you get any you have to limit it to ONE.

ONE!!!

patg
03-20-2007, 11:27 PM
Erin I do that too with my scalloped scissors. This way, I can make them any size I want.
Pat

buggainok
03-23-2007, 08:19 PM
Erin, I did some by hand like you did, and they turned out pretty well, and were not that difficult.

But I decided I HAD to have the punches. Well, I got the Giga Circle and the Giga Oval, and they are really smaller than I would like. So I have still been handcutting them.

I kind of wish I had saved my money and just kept cutting.