PDA

View Full Version : Children's Books Advice needed

ccstampin12
03-22-2007, 08:40 AM
Hi,
I want to send a nice book to our grandchildren in Greece for Easter. I am kind of out of the book loop these days. Do any of you have any ideas of a nice book with story and nice pictures that we could send? The children are 7 and 5.
Thanks!
Joanie:question:

Jadyeebugsaunt
03-22-2007, 08:42 AM
joanie what lind of genre do you want ? spirtual , or others?

My3Ds
03-22-2007, 08:48 AM
My favorite book is called, Guess How Much I Love You. It's about a daddy rabbit and a baby rabbit. Might be too young for the 7 year old, but the story is great. My guys are 14,7,2 so let me go through our books.

Jadyeebugsaunt
03-22-2007, 08:53 AM
joanie, i can't remember if you gk are boys/girls but i love

Queen of Easter (http://erclk.about.com/?zi=16/vKH)

Erin K
03-22-2007, 08:58 AM
I think Stephen's favorites are too young but he loves:
Goodnight Moon
The Curious George Books
One Fish two Fish
and
Walter the Farting Dog

ccstampin12
03-22-2007, 09:00 AM
a grandson....7
and granddaughter...5
I just want a cute little story with pictures as they don't read English very well yet. So the pictures would make it more interesting.
Keep them coming, girls. I feel a trip to Borders coming!
LOL
Joanie

My3Ds
03-22-2007, 09:05 AM
Guess How Much I love You. The pics are great and the words are pretty basic. There are so many great books out there. Try the Laura Numeroff books - IF You Give a Mouse a Cookie series or any of the Eric Carle books like the Very Hungry Caterpillar, Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do you SEE

a grandson....7
and granddaughter...5
I just want a cute little story with pictures as they don't read English very well yet. So the pictures would make it more interesting.
LOL
Joanie

Erin K
03-22-2007, 09:07 AM
Maybe a Where's Waldo book, not much reading, but tons of fun. :)

My3Ds
03-22-2007, 09:09 AM
but man it makes me batty. HAVE you ever read/looked at an I Spy book. Those are cool too.

a grandson....7
and granddaughter...5
LOL
Joanie

Maybe a Where's Waldo book, not much reading, but tons of fun. :)

ellie
03-22-2007, 09:11 AM
I love the books by Jan Brett. Her illustrations will keep their interest whil the page is being read. They are beautiful. "The Mitten" is one of my favorites.
You could also ask at the bookstore for the "Caldecort" winners....those are books that were given awards.

ccstampin12
03-22-2007, 09:14 AM
Yes, I checked the Caldecott Award books this morning. Anyone know about the winner...Flotsam by David Wiesner?
Or a runner-up called...Gone Wild: An Endangered Alphabet by David McLimans?
Joanie

directmailscrapper
03-22-2007, 10:19 AM
Check out the Carl the Dog books. There are NO words -- but the pictures tell a whole story and they are so funny that I think all ages would enjoy them. Ditto on the Waldo books -- no English required and lots of fun.

hbpuppy
03-22-2007, 11:38 AM
Check out the Carl the Dog books. There are NO words -- but the pictures tell a whole story and they are so funny that I think all ages would enjoy them. Ditto on the Waldo books -- no English required and lots of fun.

We love the Good Dog Carl books. They are pictures only, no story. So, the reader tells the story and they are super sweet and funny too. The pictures are awesome and they are good for both boys and girls of any age. We have the big ones but now they make them in board books too.

Scrap This!
03-22-2007, 01:45 PM
I love the book "You are Special" by Max Lucado

toao
03-22-2007, 02:33 PM
OOH! Right up our alley!! Here are some good ones:
These are ALL appropriate for that age and can be enjoyed by both boys and girls. We have all of these and LOVE them....

Giggle, Giggle, Quack
Click, Clack, Moo (Cows that type)
Dooby Dooby Moo (all 3 of these are by Doreen Cronin)

Stand Tall Molly Lou Melon by: Patty Lovell

I Spy Treasure Hunt

Diary of A Wombat by:Jackie French

Forest Explorer: A life sized field guide
Backyard Detective : Critters up close (Both by Nic Bishop)

Hope that helps. You can find all of these on www.bn.com
(Barnes and Noble)

Mary

scrappinnuts
03-22-2007, 04:07 PM
My Childrens favorite book was "Jimmies Boa Ate the Wash"..not sure who wrote it but it is full of great illistrations. Also " I will love you forever" was another one they enjoyed.. I read this book to my Grandaughter now. So many out there. Do you have a Boarders? They have a chilrens section that is wonderful. Enjoy your search.

ccstampin12
03-22-2007, 06:19 PM
I love this list! I am going to make a copy of it and keep it for the future. DH went to Borders today, and, armed with a list of possibilities, he came home with a Waldo book. I think the 2 children will love that. I told him to look for the Easter Queen one too, but they didn't have it....is that a Beatrix Potter book? That's what the clerk said...never heard of it, and thought I was familiar with the Potter books!
So, thanks to everyone who contributed. You're all the BEST!!!
Joanie:nod:

teabear
03-22-2007, 08:10 PM
How fun Joanie! I enjoyed reading this thread and going back in time to all the books I loved reading to my kiddo. We loved the Dr. Seuss, Eric Carle, and I Spy books. Some of the very best books to learn to read with are books that rhyme. We used to be involved with a literacy organization that provided books to families. Here are some that are beautifully illustrated to add to your list:

Is your Mama a Llama
Freight Trains (no text, just pics....make up your own words)
Mama Do You Love Me
Time For Bed

Firecracker
03-22-2007, 08:24 PM
I agree with Scrap This/Melanie the book You Are Special by Max Lucado is wonderful. The story has such a great meaning. All of his books are wonderful and the pictures in them are fabulous. Hugs, Heather