PDA

View Full Version : Ribbon lovers, how do you store your ribbon?

directmailscrapper
03-24-2007, 10:14 PM
I'm not a big ribbon user (at least not yet), but I have managed to acquire an awful lot of it (surprise!). I've seen some of the ribbon organizers, but they seem to take up a lot of room. What do you use? How much does it hold?

cindi
03-24-2007, 10:23 PM
and I have 2 storage units right now.
One is a plastic cube from the $ store, it has holes all around it so I threaded 2 dowels through it & each dowel holds 8 rolls of ribbon. then I have a long narrow basket that holds 2 rows of 14 ribbon spolls 2 layers thick so that holds 56 rolls.
If I buy more ribbon, I better get more organized! LOL
:)

ellie
03-24-2007, 10:27 PM
I purchased some storage racks from home depot. They hang on the door and have 4 rows about 30" long. It holds quite a few spools of ribbon. You can see a picture of them if you go to my gallery.

bubblegum girl
03-24-2007, 11:49 PM
im in the process of putting my ribbons on wodden clothes pins and into a cool jar from ikea. i'll post a picture shortly

shuggy
03-25-2007, 12:51 AM
and I have 2 storage units right now.

i read this and thought omg! she had to rent 2 storage units!!!:err:

MyRnAbS
03-25-2007, 01:27 AM
i read this and thought omg! she had to rent 2 storage units!!!:err:

THis is super hilarious!!!
:biglaugh:

scrappyyankee
03-25-2007, 08:46 AM
I store my ribbon in jars I bought from M's. I wrap the ribbon around wooden clothespins and arrange them by color.

Mickey :wub:

ccstampin12
03-25-2007, 08:56 AM
with the ribbon still on the rolls. For the ribbon I've bought by the yard, I use a separate jar or 2. I need more jars, as I have piles of ribbon spools on top of the cabinet I store the jars in!!!
I put them in the jars by color. I have several different styles of jars because the ones I originally started with are no longer available!!! So, Many of mine are now the plastic ones that are Rubbermaid that are sold at Wal-Mart.
I love the look of the ribbon on the clothespins, but I just don't have time to do that with all my ribbon right now!
Good Luck with your project!
Joanie

Christie
03-25-2007, 09:35 AM
I have a metal rack that holds about 30 spools of ribbon then I jst got 3 plastic ribbon caddys that hold about 30 each. I went to HL yesterday and asked if I could have some empty spools and they said sure. I went through their ribbon and spools that were low I took off and added to their new spools so I could have the cardboard thing for my ribbon!

suzi_f
03-25-2007, 09:36 AM
I wrap my ribbon pieces on cardboard & bought one of those small desktop drawer units. I made a grid out of more cardboard & have them in the draweres arranged by colors. It works FANTASTIC but, I need to get a 2nd drawer unit. I do still have a number of spools that haven't been used yet so I leave them in a basket. Problem is, I never remember they are there so I rarely use them. I may have to move the basket to a more accessible location. Or, I could move the strictly s/b stuff out of my iris cart & move the ribbon spools there. That would probalby work well.

Nadine
03-25-2007, 09:40 AM
I have a ribbon storage unit that I bought on Ebay. It's about 2' tall and only 3" deep and sits on top of the filing cabinet where I store my paper. It's got three wooden dowels and hold a whole lot of rolls (I haven't filled it yet). I love it. For the loose ribbon I roll it up and store it in an embroidery floss box. I think I may switch it to jars though just so I can see what I have at a glance.

JBgreendawn
03-25-2007, 09:46 AM
I think i have more ribbon then anything else.
I moves a great deal of the slim sized ribbons to the round old fashioned clothes pins (from the dollar tree store) and they are secured with sequin straight pins. I have moved the green homemade ribbon spool holder rack to hang on the inside of the closet since these photos were taken.
this is a link to a peas album i have.
hth,
http://twopeasinabucket.kaboose.com/album_display.asp?album_id=51034

buggainok
03-25-2007, 11:45 AM
Sigh...I have mine in clear plastic shoe boxes. Not very exciting, but at least it is all in one place and I can see what I have.

I do have a tip about ribbon, though. Instead of using pins to secure the ends, I bought a roll of "paper" tape like they use at the hospital. A little piece will hold the ends down and keep them from unraveling, but it doesn't leave sticky residue like other tapes.

scrappinnuts
03-25-2007, 11:49 AM
I keep my ribbon in Jars.. I bought from Ikea..and I keep them on a couple of shelfs.. I store them by like colors..I have about 12 big jars..full.. I love ribbon..and it is a colorful way to store it.

Vintagegal
03-25-2007, 11:52 AM
I bought a roll of "paper" tape like they use at the hospital

Surgical tape. You can find it in the same section where they sell bandaids. I've used this for other craft projects, and you're right.....it eliminates the problem with the "sticky residue."

workin4stamps
03-25-2007, 12:12 PM
I have these accessory baskets from The Container Store (www.containerstore.com) ....they are mounted on the inside of the closet door in my stamping room. I can hold about 30-40 spools of ribbon in each basket, and I have 4 of them mounted to the door right now. I did have to add an extra wire to the front of the baskets so the spools wouldn't roll out of them....I hope that makes sense. They work great. I actually could stand to add a few more to the door!! They would work great for holding other stuff too, like punches, etc......

Traci

MyRnAbS
03-25-2007, 02:03 PM
Is it possible for someone to attach a picture in here, so I can see what you're talking about with the M's jars? I've never seen jars at my M that's why I'm wondering as to what they look like. And I so love that idea!! I want to be a copy cat ;) TIA

suzi_f
03-25-2007, 02:16 PM
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r267/suzi_f/Mjar.jpgThis is from the M's add
Hope it's not too big!!!

These are on sale this week at M's. Of coures my Ms put the sale tags on OTHER ribbon & I bought that instead. Does anyone know long these spools are??? I'm not sure I like this as a storage idea. I don't have room to display the jars & I'd probably not be able to get the one spool I wanted. I'll find pics of my storage sometime.

suzi_f
03-25-2007, 02:22 PM
http://twopeasinabucket.kaboose.com/pg.asp?cmd=display&layout_id=924421

This is my ribbon storage. I love how easy it is to find what I want & to put it back where it belongs.

Firecracker
03-25-2007, 02:24 PM
I have a large ribbon holder that a fellow cardmaker's husband made. He made one for both of us. For little pieces I wrap them on the little cards that you buy to wrap thread on and put in a plastic container. My ribbon holder is on 2peas. My name over their is firecracker1971. Hugs, Heather

Erin K
03-25-2007, 02:53 PM
mine are boring in three things
1. a photo box, this holds lots of the smaller rolls of them
2. a fishing tackle box the slim kind they are wraped on cardboard or those floss bobbins in there, this is for the ones I have only a yard or so of, and
3. pileing out into the drawer where I keep 1 and 2. I think I'm gonna have this drawer just dedicated to ribbon. :)

Erin K
03-25-2007, 02:54 PM
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r267/suzi_f/Mjar.jpgThis is from the M's add
Hope it's not too big!!!

These are on sale this week at M's. Of coures my Ms put the sale tags on OTHER ribbon & I bought that instead. Does anyone know long these spools are??? I'm not sure I like this as a storage idea. I don't have room to display the jars & I'd probably not be able to get the one spool I wanted. I'll find pics of my storage sometime.

That's beautiful! Wouldn't work for my space, but if someone has nice shelfs avaliable it's stunning.