PDA

View Full Version : How often do you clean your stamps?

Christie
11-04-2006, 11:35 AM
I was just wondering how often you clean your stamps. Is it after everytime you use it or just when you are changing colors?

I usually only clean them when I'm changing colors or when I know I'm not going to use it for a while.

lost luggage
11-04-2006, 11:36 AM
I'll go first...lol

I don't clean them. Maybe if I use a really heavy pigment ink that is all over the place, but usually, I'll just keep on going with whatever is on the stamp.

teabear
11-04-2006, 02:03 PM
I have a great stamp scrubber pad right on my stamp table. It's so easy to clean them right after using them. I do wash out the stamp scrubber regularly in the sink since it doesn't clean stamps well when it's dirty. The only time I don't worry about cleaning them right away is if I use versamark, but I do scrub it off before I put the stamps away.

I'm very attached to my stamps and hope to keep them around for a long time, so I try to take care of them :)

Erin K
11-04-2006, 02:06 PM
I clean mine ususally when Im done stamping for that session.

If you aer not a stamp cleaner make sure you do after versamark. I think some people think because it's clear they don't need to but it can get sticky and gum up your stamps FOREVER At the store there are stamps on the wall (where club members can use them) that wern't cleaned after versamark and no amount of trying to fix them now will do the job, they are nasty forever.

workin4stamps
11-04-2006, 02:13 PM
I always clean my stamps each time I use them. I keep my scrub pad right next to me, and they get cleaned right away. I will second what Erin said about the versamark too. I have heard bad stories of people not being able to get it off their stamp if it dries on there. I would wash that versamark off right away!!!!

:-)
Traci

inkinupstamps
11-04-2006, 02:33 PM
As Erin mentioned, your stamps can really be ruined if you don't clean them. Of course it is true that ink will stain the rubber which cleaning doesn't always remove and that won't hurt the image in the future. However, built up and dried on ink surely will affect the stamped image as well as mix in with other ink pads you may use. Good point too about versamark. You must clean that off.

bubblegum girl
11-04-2006, 02:39 PM
i always clean my stamps off. i do have a stampin scrub but dont care for it i prefer "huggies baby wipes" huggies cuz they are thicker than walmarts cheap ones.

iloveflipflops
11-04-2006, 03:37 PM
I cannot put away a dirty stamp! ha ha

smileycollector
11-04-2006, 04:28 PM
I love the SU cleaning pad and clean mine after every use. I agree with Tami, I'm very attached to my stamps and hope to keep them around for a long time, so I try to take care of them. :)

Spartymom
11-04-2006, 05:13 PM
I do clean the stamps with Baby wipes! yes, it really does work. I have my little baby wipe container and it works perfectly.

Kim

Alli
11-04-2006, 06:05 PM
I'll be the first to admit I am incredibly anally retentive and I have to get every scrap of ink off a stamp before I put it away. I clean my stamps between every inking, I go through industrial amounts of baby wipes and Staz On cleaner until every mark is gone. :D I know, I know, I am a sad human being.
One word of caution to those who use baby wipes, please make sure they are alcohol free, otherwise over time the alcohol in your baby wipes will rot the rubber on your stamps.
I use pampers baby wipes as I know they are alcohol free.

I also clear varnish my wood so that I don't get stains on that either!

mydogstinks2
11-04-2006, 06:35 PM
Then some times I wonder why I did because I'm gonna use it again!! LOL

Christie
11-04-2006, 06:56 PM
I like the idea of using baby wipes, never thought of that. Thanks for the tip!!

iupindiana
11-04-2006, 07:13 PM
I would rather have dirty dishes in the sink than to think that my stamps aren't clean. If I am lightly stamping I use the baby wipes, then if the ink is heavy I use my SU scrubber pad but with versamark it is truly elbow grease. I want then to look brand new. I take very good care of them. I dry then and then carefully put them away until the next time. I want to get a puppy but I don't think I will like it as much as I do my stamps. :rolleyes: JoAnn

kathyy
11-06-2006, 08:52 PM
Generally after each session of using them. I usually use baby wipes. But I also have some other cleaners for use when it seems needed.

Yellow-Chicklet
11-06-2006, 09:00 PM
baby wipes after each session. I didn't know about using alcohol free. I will watch for that. Thanks for mentioning it!
Lori

Whoopsie Daisy!
11-06-2006, 10:11 PM
I wipe off my stamps with alcohol-free baby wipes. It seems to clean better and I can really get in the grooves.

Otherwise, I just use my stamp cleaner and pad.

And I do clean as soon as I am done with the stamp. Just a force of habit, I suppose. There was one time I let my stamp sit with SU black ink on it for just half a day and it stained.

:) jane

nicolette
11-06-2006, 10:27 PM
I also clean my stamps after every use. I have a spritzer (sp?) bottle of cleaner and a scrubby pad on my work space. It works great for me.

nicole

stampcrazyjulie
11-06-2006, 10:39 PM
I clean mine usually with a baby wipe immediately after every use. If I don't have a baby wipe handy, then I use my tongue....EWWWW! and then I swipe it across my carpet! :eek: I know, grose! Well dire situations call for dire actions! :) I try and always have a baby wipe handy...I can't stand to put my stamps away dirty!

Whoopsie Daisy!
11-06-2006, 10:42 PM
I clean mine usually with a baby wipe immediately after every use. If I don't have a baby wipe handy, then I use my tongue....EWWWW! and then I swipe it across my carpet! :eek: I know, grose! Well dire situations call for dire actions! :) I try and always have a baby wipe handy...I can't stand to put my stamps away dirty!

And that's why you are "Stamp Crazy Julie"!!
LOL!

:) jane

stampcrazyjulie
11-06-2006, 10:45 PM
HA! LOL! I know....I am crazy! OK, so sometimes I do wipe it on my levi's too...underneath my shirt line of course, we can't have everybody seeing the evidence now can we?! :D

Christie
11-06-2006, 10:46 PM

LOL!! Too funny! I don't even know how to respond to that!!! :D

GrammaStamper
11-06-2006, 10:50 PM
I clean mine every time with stamp pad and sometimes I use a baby wipe. Saw someone the other day who uses baby wipes and then a nail brush to really get into the crevices.

patg
11-06-2006, 11:43 PM
I clean mine after each use. Don't like them dirty.

Pat

shuggy
11-07-2006, 12:24 AM

icky!!!

i use my stamp scrubber, or a baby wipe if that isn't handy. i clean them as soon as i'm done with them.

angie

emmcee
11-07-2006, 08:29 AM
I clean mine after every use. I have a stamp scrubber that I use. But I need to get some baby wipes.

Beaglelover
11-08-2006, 02:51 PM
I am a baby wipe (unscented alcohol free) freak so I go through these a lot.

Just bought the cleaning pads in the plastic case where you buy the cleaner for them. Love it as it gets more of the ink off.

I just got the TAC cleaning pad which has two pads in there so I use one for cleaning and one for drying.

HTH.

Teresa

StampinMom
11-08-2006, 04:44 PM
I am pretty anal about keeping my stamps clean, so I always clean them right after I use them. I normally use the SU scrub pad and mist, but I use Stazon cleaner for the more stubborn inks.

Cheryl